ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Subaru Warranty - Anyone know.......

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2005, 01:44 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation Subaru Warranty - Anyone know.......

As I havent got the warranty schedule......

If a car is still in the warranty period but has been serviced by a non-subaru main dealer (but the company is VAT registered), is the warranty still valid.

I believe some one told me once that as long as the servicing is done on time and by a VAT registered company it was all ok.

Without the warranty schedule I am unable to verify this.

Need to know pretty sharpish... so if anyone can help?

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 31 January 2005, 01:50 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is partially opinion rather than fact, but AFAIK, if this in the pan-european 2-year warranty you are talking about, rather than the manufacturer's extended warrenty (i.e. 3rd year of 3 year warranty), then any VAT-registered garage should be OK, so long as suitable quality parts are used.

For extended warranties, I believe the manufacturer can specify whatever terms they like.
Old 31 January 2005, 01:51 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Sorry mate but not sure. You could try calling up the subaru dealer and they'll let you know. The number for Holdcroft Subaru is 0151-4952091. Sorry i can't help any further.
Old 31 January 2005, 02:01 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Well the car is a UK STI and was registered in September 2003, so I presumed it had a 3yr warranty. Is this not correct and would it be a 2yr warranty?

The ruling of the VAT registered bit was what I thought, but just wanted confirmation of this from someone with there books on them or anyone in the business that knows.

Many thanks,
Shaun.
Old 31 January 2005, 04:55 PM
2002pete
Scooby Regular

Subaru UK give a 3 year warranty on UK Imprezas.
Old 31 January 2005, 06:41 PM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine works for a local Subaru dealer and I asked this question about my UK supplied WRX. He stated that during the first year warranty as long as the car is serviced in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations warranty is ok, however, during the second and third years the car must be serviced at a Subaru dealer even UK cars, as it is still an extended warranty. He mentioned that a chap had his WRX towed in with a blown engine while under the extended warranty, he had a full service history including receipts for genuine parts but they refused to carry out the repairs under warranty because it wasn't by a dealer and I understand Subaru backed them up!!!

My service book states that servicing must be carried out by an authorised dealer. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Andy
Old 31 January 2005, 07:46 PM
mannin
Scooby Regular

If the 'servicer' is vat registered AND uses genuine subaru parts then all is sweet

I have this in writing from IM, I live in the IOM and we have no Subaru dealers, hence my requirement for comfirmation in writing from IM.

Hope this helps.
Old 31 January 2005, 08:29 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

I believe that because of Block Exemption (or some term like it) and the E.U., manufacturers can no longer stipulate that a car must be serviced by a franchised dealer.
As long as the garage is VAT registered and uses original parts (i.e. genuine Subaru oil filter and oil approved for use by Subaru) then there will be no problem.

I work for a car rental firm and 2 years ago we returned 20 Seat Ibiza’s that had not been serviced by a Seat dealer. We were charged £400 per car, £8k in total, by VW because of this. Thankfully we also part of a national mobile service company and all the cars were serviced in line with Seat’s recommendations with regards to parts etc. Our M.D. was aware of this E.U. ruling whatever it’s officially called and we were successful in claiming a credit back for the £8k.

This took the best part of 1 year to sort out, by which time another 20 Ibiza’s went back.

Guess what? Another £400 per car “fine” and another lengthy battle to obtain an £8k credit.

Kevin