ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

04 sti ppp mapping prob?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2005, 06:03 PM
ROO4NFG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sti ppp mapping prob?

Took my car into my local dealer last week due to a starting prob, where the car somtimes does not start and floods or chugs away for about 30 secs then builds up, and after them having the car for 2 days they have informed me that my car has been mapped wrong from prodrive and they are waiting for a replacement e.c.u to arrive as this is a very common prob with all sti models not just ppp models and they will contact me in the future to arrange recalling it to be fixed, any one else heard of this or have this prob.
Old 30 January 2005, 07:04 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ROO4NFG
this is a very common prob with all sti models not just ppp models

Yes this starting issue is fairly common. The starting issue is as quoted, with the 'original Subaru map or ECU' and not the Prodrive PPP Map. I also very much doubt that it's "been mapped wrong from prodrive" IMHO IIRC

Maybe it's me IMHO but your post may read better with the section "my car has been mapped wrong from prodrive and " removed as you may have been miss-imformed and could be technically incorrect

If a new ECU is required will indeed need to go to Prodrive to install PPP on it.

IMHO

hope this helps

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 31 January 2005 at 01:11 AM. Reason: SPOOLINK MISTACK
Old 30 January 2005, 07:18 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

agree with tony...
All PPP ECU's are the same hence what most people see as a requirment to have your car mapped to its own strengths...

The ECU PPP map is simply a standard map off a shelf... the guy walkes up and gets it puts it in a box and sends it to the dealer!

It could be though the it was home time and the guy or girl doing maps for the PPP went home and didn't hit the enter key! possible but remote i'd say...

On that point each car does seem to be different, my MY03 PPP is very quick... a few people have driven it and said the same... I followed a Sti with Bigger turbo\injectors\and modified inlet suposed to be circa 370 break... and upto 100 err it was still sat directly in front of me! Mmmmm **** happens, and the guy was just a little shocked! I was well happy!

Dazza
Old 30 January 2005, 07:29 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

That's helped of course by the fact he's pushing the air out of the way for you, if you were right behind him.

Drafting can make the resistance from air up to 20% less, you almost get sucked along.

Never the less, he should have been able to pull away with that power difference.
Old 30 January 2005, 08:11 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

Have a word with BAH.

He has had the same problem !!!!!!!!!

Martin
Old 30 January 2005, 08:17 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

Took my car into my local dealer last week due to a starting prob, where the car somtimes does not start and floods or chugs away for about 30 secs then builds up, and after them having the car for 2 days they have informed me that my car has been mapped wrong from prodrive and they are waiting for a replacement e.c.u to arrive as this is a very common prob with all sti models not just ppp models and they will contact me in the future to arrange recalling it to be fixed, any one else heard of this or have this prob.
That's why I got a PPP exhaust and pump today and will be taking it to get a TEK3

BTW whos's the best mapper in the Midlands ?
Old 31 January 2005, 08:33 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

I'm not quite sure what you have been told but it is simply not possible to get an ECU reflash wrong and end up with a car having starting problems. In any case our map (and anyone else's for that matter) doesn't alter the starting regime.

Mike
Old 31 January 2005, 09:03 AM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

this is fairly common, and last I heard there was no cure.

I have spoken to IM technical about this at length, and last year Subaru Japan sent a group of technicians along to look at this (they obtained a few UK cars with this problem to look at)
IIRC, the wisdom at the time was gas build up in the inlet manifold not being released - my STi had this probelm from new, and the PPP made no difference to the problem.
Indeed, if the car was stood for a number of days it started no problem, leave overnight and it was a pig.

the thing that helped my car was turn on ignition, depress throttle fully before starting, then start - usually worked okay.
this would support the 'gas build up' theory, as this would release the gas.

anyway, Im not aware of a fix at present.

Andy.
Old 31 January 2005, 09:10 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

As Mike says, surely the starting fuelling etc is in the open loop part of the ecu, which is controlled by the standard map, even if it's been re-mapped/PPP'd
Old 31 January 2005, 09:20 AM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
agree with tony...
All PPP ECU's are the same hence what most people see as a requirment to have your car mapped to its own strengths...

The ECU PPP map is simply a standard map off a shelf... the guy walkes up and gets it puts it in a box and sends it to the dealer!

It could be though the it was home time and the guy or girl doing maps for the PPP went home and didn't hit the enter key! possible but remote i'd say...

On that point each car does seem to be different, my MY03 PPP is very quick... a few people have driven it and said the same... I followed a Sti with Bigger turbo\injectors\and modified inlet suposed to be circa 370 break... and upto 100 err it was still sat directly in front of me! Mmmmm **** happens, and the guy was just a little shocked! I was well happy!

Dazza
Thats called Torque not BHP thats why you stayed with him. Its only higher up rev range you need bhp for top end stuff.
Old 31 January 2005, 09:29 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mike,
Just to recap if your car has a starting problem first thing in the morning, being Re Mapped by "Anyone" (PPP, 333 TEK3 etc) with EcuTek will have not cure or induce this Problem

The Mapper only alters the running 'Map' and doesn't effect any part of Original Subaru Starting program

Originally Posted by Andy-pay
this is fairly common, and last I heard there was no cure.

I have spoken to IM technical about this at length, and last year Subaru Japan sent a group of technicians along to look at this (they obtained a few UK cars with this problem to look at)

anyway, Im not aware of a fix at present.

Andy.
Thanks Andy
Old 31 January 2005, 12:55 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

The areas of the map that control starting aren't something that are generally altered by tuners as it simply takes too long to get right.

The only time that it could be affected is if the base for the new map is not the same as the std one in the car.

We always use the latest version of the std map so that if any small (and generally invisible using EcuTeK software) updates have been made, we take advantage of them.

Mike
Old 31 January 2005, 03:19 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moray
Thats called Torque not BHP thats why you stayed with him. Its only higher up rev range you need bhp for top end stuff.
No no.. the quoted torque figure was 360ft/lb although i should have put that... mapped by Mr Bulmer i believe...
will have to have another go...

dazza

Paul if your about maybe you give a honest opinion...

PS the Quickshifts now on ... lots better! Ta
Old 31 January 2005, 03:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on where the torque is and on what rollers as well. A genuine 370 BHP on a 2.0 is a bit on the laggy side IMHO.
Old 31 January 2005, 08:36 PM
ROO4NFG
Scooby Regular

I here what u are saying and totally agree about the mapping makeing no diffrence, i am only passing on the information my dealer gave me, he said the same what most of u guys are saying it is a common prob and as yet there is no cure but they are working on one, my car has had this prob since the first day i picked it up from the dealer and exactly the same after it went back for the ppp 1000 miles later.
Old 01 February 2005, 01:14 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

it seems to me like the car just over fuels way to much when cold, once warm and been running fine and the longer u leave the worst it is, almost like the injectors are not shutting down and dribbleing fuel in the bore after shutting of.
Jon,

Your injector dribbling Theory is sound weather "Subaru" will act on it

It does sound like when I have accidently touched the Throttle on starting up (which you must never do hot or cold IIRC). The Throttle position sensor has set values for fully open and closed positions, maybe on the high end of spec. Ask your dealer to check/test your Throttle position a 0-10vdc signal IIRC, It's 5min job with a multimeter (Although normally checked when PPP is fitted) so probably already done. but maybe worth a try.

Maybe worth them checking Throttle posistion with Select monitor or PS3(ECU reading) and comparing it with a multimeter at sensor output(expect some voltdrop).

I'll get my Flame suit ready from the Teckies, as could be sending you down a slippery road of internet mechanics

IMHO

Regards

Tony

Last edited by T5NYW; 01 February 2005 at 01:23 PM.