Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a crash effect my no claims, if it's not my fault ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2000, 05:37 PM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A drunk driver driving against a one-way system crashed into me head-on yesturday. He was arrested, and a police reports states he was to blame. We both have fully comp insurance. Does anyone know if this will affect my no claim discount ?

Also, the accdident threw off the timing belt. The mechanics seam to think the engine will be OK due to some device which stops the valves from moving. Does this sound plausable ?

[This message has been edited by ^Gazzer^ (edited 21 August 2000).]
Old 21 August 2000, 05:49 PM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Assuming your insurer can recover full costs against the third party - and in such a clear cut case, there is no reason at all they shouldn't - your no claims will be unnaffected.

The only 'gotcha' is if your renewal comes up before the matter is settled, then your insurer <I>may</I> 'suspend' your no claims until after they have recovered costs.

HTH
Alastair
Old 21 August 2000, 05:51 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Smile

What a tosser. I can't help on your engine, but it will definately not affect your no claims if the other guys insurance pays out. It will also not cause you premium to be loaded (which happens when you are deemed at fault in an accident). When you phone for insurance, you are asked if you have had any claims, and if you have had any fault accidents - no on both counts.

Hope your car is sorted pronto (Iassume you weren't hurt)
Old 21 August 2000, 05:53 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gazzer,

If you have a protected NCD then no problem. However, if you do not then Alistair is right and your company will suspend / reduce your NCD at renewal if they have not recovered their costs from said drunks insurers.

I also remember reading in a Subaru dealer somewhere that the engines are designated "safe" in that very little damage, if any at all, is caused by the timing belt breaking.

Hope you get it all fixed ASAP

Yex
Old 21 August 2000, 06:07 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Hay Gazzer,

As I've said before on this forum elsewhere, why risk losing your NCD. Just claim from his insurance directly. Often a better way, because you get to fight your own case with them, and you always get a cash settlement based upon repair estimates for your car. Then once you have the cash (repair estimate - VAT), you can get rid of the car and buy a non-damaged one (quite attractive in this case).

I've done this many times now, always come out on top.

It is hassle, and you do have to make lots of phone calls. But hey, you'd be calling your own insurers all the time anyway, and this way you get to drive the process!

If you want anymore details, just emial me.

Imran

P.S Sorry about the incident.
Old 21 August 2000, 06:19 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above.
You insurance co dont actually have to be told/involved. Claim everything off of the other guy. I also have done this with no probs.
Old 21 August 2000, 06:35 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Guys,

It is a "material fact" that you advise insurers of ANY incident that has occurred in the time that they have requested i.e. last 3 years/5 years.

If the incident was not your fault, then they will not load your premium.

If you fail to advise them they could (worst case scenario) void the policy in the event of a future incident. All insurers subscribe to a national claims datbase called "CLUE", and they now check this as a matter of course - cross referencing against registration, name & postcode.

It is therefore recommended to come clean with all incidents.

With regard to losing your No Claims Discount (NCD). The answer is "no", so long as your insurers recover their costs in full. As previously stated, if you are unfortunate enough to have a renewal date that falls prior to claim settlement then your NCD will be reduced accordingly. However I confirm that any extra premium will be re-paid to you as soon as the claim is settled, and the appropriate NCD re-instated.

As Imran stated it is sometimes better to pursue the claim directly from the Third Party insurers. Thus not having to pay any excess etc etc and equally not effecting your NCD mid-term. IT IS STILL IMPORTANT TO ADVISE OF THE INCIDENT.

Hope this helps a little....

Tom

Trending Topics

Old 21 August 2000, 07:50 PM
moz.g
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about the accident Gazzer, I was in an accident a few months ago it wasn't my fault and I've just had my renewal and the NCD has not been effected but the bloody price of renewal has gone up from £700 to £1200 (AXA) so I think I'll start hunting around for a few more quotes!!

Graham