Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY05 STi spoiler on a WRX - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2005, 06:36 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 STi spoiler on a WRX - thoughts?

Hi all

Just after some input...

Have a new 05 WRX... don't want an STi... will get me in to too much trouble! and I decided after driving one that the ride is just a tad too firm for the 30k a year I will do.

I do however personally feel that it is the lovely big wing on the back of the STi that makes the impreza. The low level WRX version while nice just looks a little weak in comparison.

So.... I am considering getting the STi spoiler on there to replace the standard one..... anyone have any idea of cost, possible insurance implications, ease of swap etc.

Any other thoughts or comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Paul
Old 28 January 2005, 06:49 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

TSL (i think) do raisers for the wrx spoiler that make it about 75mm higher. They look good if it's just the hight your after, and a dame sight cheaper. I've considered this myself, however I felt the money would be better spent on performance mods etc..

Maybe one day when all the other things I'm desperate for have been done... does that day ever come..? onder2:

Jason
Old 29 January 2005, 11:50 AM
Garion
Scooby Regular

I was in the same boat as you, i bought a 2002 wrx, added a replica STI spoiler from Grade-A subaru and a replica front scoop from Jap Innovations.

The only problem was that Direct Line insurance wanted an extra £300 for me to fit the extra spoiler, at that point i told them to stuff it & i went to L&V. They didnt want any extra cash & didnt mind my extra mods.

I know some people dont like the big spoiler & prefer the stealth look, if you do go for the STI spoiler be prepared to get stared at when you go for a drive.

heres how mine looks now...

Andy
Old 29 January 2005, 06:33 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

Vipa,

Official STI spoiler is here - http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/su...A?Opendocument

It's a LOT of money. I personally prefer the prodrive one - http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/su...A?Opendocument

You'll get a nice non-subaru one for £300 or less though.
Old 29 January 2005, 06:42 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Garion
I was in the same boat as you, i bought a 2002 wrx, added a replica STI spoiler from Grade-A subaru and a replica front scoop from Jap Innovations.

The only problem was that Direct Line insurance wanted an extra £300 for me to fit the extra spoiler, at that point i told them to stuff it & i went to L&V. They didnt want any extra cash & didnt mind my extra mods.

I know some people dont like the big spoiler & prefer the stealth look, if you do go for the STI spoiler be prepared to get stared at when you go for a drive.

heres how mine looks now...

http://www.sendaria.demon.co.uk/mycar.jpg

Andy
who is l&v my renewal is coming up and want to shop around abit! do they do imports??

btw you got to colour code those horrid looking front lights lol!!!
Old 29 January 2005, 06:51 PM
Shortboy
Scooby Regular

I think you should go for it. I fitted STI "replica" spoiler when I had my WRX, & it looked good. Somehow the proportions are just better when you look at it side-on. Then came the back-box. Then some STi fog-lamp covers. Then I fancied some bigger alloys.......in the end I just chopped it in for an STi!

Old 29 January 2005, 06:55 PM
Garion
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stann01
who is l&v my renewal is coming up and want to shop around abit! do they do imports??

btw you got to colour code those horrid looking front lights lol!!!
Sorry L&V are Liverpool Victoria

http://www.liverpoolvictoria.co.uk/c...troduction.htm

i dont know if they cover imports, i was told i was ok so long as i dont change
engine size ??

I know about the lights,they are a bit further down my shopping list after geometry & remap

cheers Andy

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2005, 07:26 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I've fitted an STi spoiler to my 05WRX, had it fitted at delivery and was costed into the price of the new car by the dealer, including PPP.

Looks are all down to personal preference, but there are some non official Subaru spoilers that look better than the STi.

On a practical note, if you fit the STi spoiler you will need to drill the boot. The WRX spoiler uses 4 mounting bolts, but the STi, IIRC, has 13 (can't be ar$ed to check as its dark ) - the dealer had a template to drill in the correct places and then seal the fixtures to prevent water getting in.
So if you buy an STi spoiler from your dealer make sure you get him to either include, or give you a quote for, fitting. Of course you may well be able to do this yourself, but you may then need to get hold of the template to ensure there are no expensive mistakes.
Old 29 January 2005, 07:37 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Well, it's expensive to buy and a pig to insure, but:

Does that help?
Old 29 January 2005, 08:52 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

How about the spoiler from DR motorsport? http://www.drmotorsport.co.uk/

Its not a STi copy but its a nice looking spoiler and you dont need to drill the boot to fit it.

They also do an STi copy spoiler.

Jason...