Sponsored by:

remote start

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2005, 02:40 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start

can you get a remote start for a sti8 and what about a turbo timer anyone had them put on and how easy was it
cheers steve
Old 28 January 2005, 07:52 PM
orrey
Scooby Newbie

if you want them both clifford alarms the way i went 6months no probs
Old 28 January 2005, 08:36 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

cheers orrey got any info on this for me type /price??
steve
Old 28 January 2005, 08:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be warned that having a turbo timer or remote start fitted to your car can invalidate your thatcham alarm status, you need to check with your insurer before fitting either of these to see if its ok with them.

Tony
Old 29 January 2005, 04:49 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

AFAIK (and I stand to be corrected ) remote start is okay, but it's Blackjax that's not Thatcham approved.

Got a Clifford C600 with intelli on the wife's STi8, and had no problems in almost 12 months, had the same system on a classic for two years and an Evo7 for six months with no hassle. If Clifford's go wrong it's ussually either user error or poor installation.
Old 29 January 2005, 08:27 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

do you use itelli start a lot? is it mainly cold mornings to get it to warm in the car? or do you use it so that when you get it you can drive on boost straight away?

thought about this myself as I have the concept 650 with T/Timer built in.

jamo
Old 29 January 2005, 08:36 AM
PJB1
Scooby Regular

i had clifford remote start on my01 wrx with loads of mods and had no probs, great for warming car and engine up and also letting cool down after a good run
if you are near e4 post code or romford area i know two diff people that would prob fit it cheaper than other for you
let me know in pm for details if you require them

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2005, 03:51 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Clifford with remote start and a turbo timer....works perfect.
Old 29 January 2005, 03:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticky Stuff
AFAIK (and I stand to be corrected ) remote start is okay, but it's Blackjax that's not Thatcham approved.
Its to do with the car being left unattended, so turbo timers and remote start are a no no (the car can also jump into gear, though ive not personally seen it and the linkage would have to be very worn for that sort of movement).

Tony
Old 29 January 2005, 06:00 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Its to do with the car being left unattended, so turbo timers and remote start are a no no (the car can also jump into gear, though ive not personally seen it and the linkage would have to be very worn for that sort of movement).

Tony
Two words

Hand Brake!

:P
Old 03 February 2005, 08:11 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Your insurance company is unlikely to appreciate the need for a turbo timer, or the convenience of a remote start device for that matter - for the same reason.
“Cat 1” security systems are tested as a complete product and then given an evaluation number by Thatcham (the UK insurance industry’s test centre) based on the products proposed useage - this applies to all Cat 1 systems, whoever they are manufactured by

In Thatchams view, adding any other product at a later date, which interacts directly with the approved security system or by-passes any of its circuits, can be looked upon as a modification to the system that was tested and could void the approval on that particular installation. To be fair, you wouldn’t expect a Category 1 product to still gain you the same recognition by your insurance company if the immobilisation circuits were not connected?

Adding additional products such as turbo timers and remote start devices are seen by Thatcham to compromise security in the same way, as to start or keep the engine running it will be necessary to by-pass the security system's immobilisation circuits. In theory a turbo timer need not cause a problem provided that it is not connected to, or by-passes, the existing immobilisation wiring, however, the Thatcham immobiliser would kick in 30 seconds after the ignition was turned off (a Thatcham requirement), limiting the turbo timer to 30 seconds.

There are also a couple of other points for you to consider:

Due to the UK insurance industrys requirements (and EU legislation) a turbo timer or remote start unit is unlikely to have been designed with the UK market in mind (they tend to be of US origin) and so is unlikely to have been tested to EU 95/54 (- electrical legislation) and will not bear a CE mark to show that the product has been tested and is fit for the automotive environment - this is a legal requirement for fitment in the UK.
In addition, leaving a vehicle unattended in a public place with the engine running is also an offence in the UK, contravening the Construction and Use regulations.

If you don’t mention the mods to your insurance company then they will still be happy to take your money, but few vehicles are stolen without the keys, so if an inspection on a recovered vehicle could invalidate a policy and save them a payout...... Just beware.
Old 03 February 2005, 08:24 PM
a1oku
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
Your insurance company is unlikely to appreciate the need for a turbo timer, or the convenience of a remote start device for that matter - for the same reason.
“Cat 1” security systems are tested as a complete product and then given an evaluation number by Thatcham (the UK insurance industry’s test centre) based on the products proposed useage - this applies to all Cat 1 systems, whoever they are manufactured by

In Thatchams view, adding any other product at a later date, which interacts directly with the approved security system or by-passes any of its circuits, can be looked upon as a modification to the system that was tested and could void the approval on that particular installation. To be fair, you wouldn’t expect a Category 1 product to still gain you the same recognition by your insurance company if the immobilisation circuits were not connected?

Adding additional products such as turbo timers and remote start devices are seen by Thatcham to compromise security in the same way, as to start or keep the engine running it will be necessary to by-pass the security system's immobilisation circuits. In theory a turbo timer need not cause a problem provided that it is not connected to, or by-passes, the existing immobilisation wiring, however, the Thatcham immobiliser would kick in 30 seconds after the ignition was turned off (a Thatcham requirement), limiting the turbo timer to 30 seconds.

There are also a couple of other points for you to consider:

Due to the UK insurance industrys requirements (and EU legislation) a turbo timer or remote start unit is unlikely to have been designed with the UK market in mind (they tend to be of US origin) and so is unlikely to have been tested to EU 95/54 (- electrical legislation) and will not bear a CE mark to show that the product has been tested and is fit for the automotive environment - this is a legal requirement for fitment in the UK.
In addition, leaving a vehicle unattended in a public place with the engine running is also an offence in the UK, contravening the Construction and Use regulations.

If you don’t mention the mods to your insurance company then they will still be happy to take your money, but few vehicles are stolen without the keys, so if an inspection on a recovered vehicle could invalidate a policy and save them a payout...... Just beware.

excellent and accurate response.nice one!!
Old 03 February 2005, 11:04 PM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
“Cat 1” security systems are tested as a complete product and then given an evaluation number by Thatcham (the UK insurance industry’s test centre) based on the products proposed useage - this applies to all Cat 1 systems, whoever they are manufactured by.
Except as already mentioned "BlakJax" as an integral part of some Clifford CAT 1 systems bizarrely.

Andy
Old 04 February 2005, 12:04 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

...but there's a bit in the manual that says something along the lines of 'Blakjax will invalidate your Thatcham status if used, so this unit is supplied with it switched off by default'

Old 04 February 2005, 12:08 AM
teknobod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sticky Stuff
...but there's a bit in the manual that says something along the lines of 'Blakjax will invalidate your Thatcham status if used, so this unit is supplied with it switched off by default'

Sorry that's what I was trying to say in reply to Sigma Sams comprehensive comments. Just worded it badly!!

Andy
Old 04 February 2005, 12:10 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

S'okay, I knew what you meant