Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre Wear

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2000, 12:49 AM
Robb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My front tyres seem to by wearing more quickly than the rears - is this normal on a Scooby??

Should I swap fronts and rears to even out the wear? If so, will this mean that the tyres need to be scrubbed in again to account for the different geometry on front and rear???

Cheers

Rob
Old 18 August 2000, 01:03 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I get twice as much life out the fronts compared with the rears so I don't think that you have a problem.

In reply to the other questions:

Yes.
No.

D.

[This message has been edited by DJB (edited 18 August 2000).]
Old 18 August 2000, 01:15 PM
Robb
Scooby Regular

DJB, thanks for your reply. Did you mean to say that you ".. get twice as much life out the fronts compared with the rears..." If so that's the opposite to what I'm getting???

Worried

R
Old 18 August 2000, 01:29 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Rob

I'm like you, about 15k on the clock and the fronts have worn more than the rears, gonna swap 'em around this weekend, I have noticed the n/s front has worn more on the outer edge ...I've put it down to all the islands ....

K
Old 18 August 2000, 01:51 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Gents,

Swapping them would do the job of evening wear out nicely across all four. Does mean that you have to buy four in the end though!

You will of course find that the nearside front shoulder is slightly more worn due to roundabouts. It might also be worth looking at the inside edge of the offside front tyre. This may show a similar increased level of wear due to roundabouts!

Cheers,

Matt
Old 18 August 2000, 09:53 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Hi

When you swap the worn front tyres to the back take care for the next couple of days and especially the next time it rains because it can change the balance of the car quite a bit.

When I changed mine the extra front end grip caught me by surprise and i lost the back end on the first roundabout I came to,luckily it was dry so I managed to catch it ok.

However there have been a number of people who have not managed to keep it shiny side up after changing tyres.Apparently the scoob is very sensitive to tyre changes. You have been warned!

Andy
Old 18 August 2000, 11:54 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Mine wears the fronts quicker that the rears so I swop them round to even them out and change all 4 at one go which is a lot better than having 2 new ones on the front or rear and also you get 4 tyres the same which is a must. If swap front to rear just remember to bed them in as already suggested.

Trending Topics

Old 19 August 2000, 12:50 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yep ditto to all the above. Swapped mine around 10k what used to be the fronts, now rears, are just getting down to the bars. Car is on just over 13k. Fronts look good for another 3-5k.

One of the rears has a nail in it! Have ordered two replacements.
Old 19 August 2000, 01:24 AM
S55 DVM
Scooby Regular

I swapped mine round at 6,000 miles. Now at 12,000 the rears have about 3 mm left, the fronts are showing the indicator bars (1.6 mm?) so definitely my fronts are disappearing quicker. About to swap them around again, so hopefully will get about 15,000 before a full new set is required. Not great mileage, but not bad for the performance. I went throught the fronts on a XR3 in 3,000 miles when I was young and stupid, circa. 1988!
Old 19 August 2000, 10:48 AM
COF139
Scooby Regular

12000 miles on the clock and the fronts are down to the markers. Thought about swapping them around a while back, but by the time I thought to check the wear again it's already too late !

Rears are looking good for another 6 to 8k.
Old 19 August 2000, 09:13 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Robb,

The fronts will always wear more than the rears on a Scooby (except possibly a Type R because of the torque split) since the fronts have power and steering forces to deal with, the rears only have to deal with power.

It looks like its just me that waits for the fronts to die and then swaps all four. In defence I've been told that on the Scooby the fronts and rears bed in differently and that it is not advisable to rotate them.

But then after 10k the fronts have 2mm and the rears only have about 4mm so I don't find its worth rotating them. Better just to get a new set and try something different.... Mmmm I think a set of Toyo T1-S this time

DaveW

[This message has been edited by DaveW (edited 19 August 2000).]
Old 20 August 2000, 07:25 PM
Wayne Jones
Scooby Newbie

My fronts wore out after 11k, rears still good after 15k. I replaced fronts with Toyo T-1 s. They're good in the wet but they squeal under harsh braking in the dry. i also get a bit more oversteer in the wet due to increased front grip. Has anyone dad a problem with air leakage using Toyo's? I checked mine the other day and they were about 7 psi down. I didn't have the same problem with Bridgestones.

If you swap your wheels be sure to adjust tyre pressures.
Old 20 August 2000, 08:03 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

This is all veeeeery interesting.
I got 15K out of the first set and was amazed how evenly they wore. Also 15K out of second set, but fronts had slightly less tread left than rears, but that was all with std geometry (UK98). Now I have proper geometry I expect the fronts to wear noticeably more. I obviously dont go round roundabouts fast enough ! - must try harder.
Stan
Old 21 August 2000, 01:13 AM
schuey
Scooby Regular

Fronts wearing quicker than rears is the norm, as fronts have to steer as well as drive.
Got mine swapped at the 7k5 service, just be a bit cautious for the first few miles, especially in the wet!!! Some rather unpleasant experiences were had.
I am doing an airfield day shortly which should just about finish off the Potenzas at 10,000.
Going to fit SO-2s next.
I love roundabouts,I overtake on the inside and the outside. They have also just resurfaced some top A & B roads round my way. There is one bend with a 35mph sign on it, but I go round at about 70-80 without even trying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 21 August 2000, 02:18 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

My fronts wore out around 19000 miles, where the backs are pretty good - I took going around corners too fast , but what did concern me was the fact that my left hand wheel (when looking at the front of the car) was really bad compared to the right) - I had the allignment checked and it was fine... maybe just one of those things?