ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

10K SERVICE & BODY WARRANTY!

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2005, 03:44 PM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10K SERVICE & BODY WARRANTY!

Just had the 10k service carried out on my 53 WRX PPP at the local Subaru Dealer, no problem so far!

When I did the usual check of the service booklet for the relevant stamp I discovered that the body care warranty part had not been stamped.

Trundled back into the Service desk to discover it would be another £100+vat to perform this separate service ontop of the £176 I had just forked out!!
Does everybody out there get this done or can it be ignored obviously at the cost of losing the warrant?
Old 21 January 2005, 03:49 PM
MACH1
Scooby Regular

Phone up another dealer and find out how much they charge!
Old 21 January 2005, 04:06 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joggerboy
Just had the 10k service carried out on my 53 WRX PPP at the local Subaru Dealer, no problem so far!

When I did the usual check of the service booklet for the relevant stamp I discovered that the body care warranty part had not been stamped.

Trundled back into the Service desk to discover it would be another £100+vat to perform this separate service ontop of the £176 I had just forked out!!
Does everybody out there get this done or can it be ignored obviously at the cost of losing the warrant?
To keep up the body warranty you have to have it done, total rip-off if you ask me. I Can't see why subaru can't provide good underbody protection like other manufactures, I have had a MY99 from new and had to pay for year 1 and year 3 inspection, didn’t bother with the year 5 after being shafted twice. I had cause to find some rust on the front bumper mounting frame located behind the bumper when changing a side light, took it to the dealers and they said it's not covered because it's not accessible.
If you read your handbook section, this also stipulates the same thing.

Good thing is i have not found any rust anywhere else on the car.
Old 21 January 2005, 04:12 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a different note £176 seems pricey for the 10k service, just booked mine in at my local main dealer and was quoted £110 for the 10k service, i think the £100 for the body check is a cheek
Old 21 January 2005, 04:18 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

My 10k service was about £115 if I remember correctly, including new wipers.

The body service was £108 but they did a very thorough job and it does keep my body warranty intact. I intend to keep the car for years (already had it 15 months) so it is a good thing - I wish more manufacturers would do it as it would help some cars last well into the future, particularly the box sections, door etc.

Absolutely EVERYTHINGS was undersealed well, including all doors, a pillars, rear quarter panels, inside the bonnet, boot lid, boot, roof etc - superb job, but I am sure some dealers give it a quick skimp over.

You could do it yourself cheaper with Waxoyl for about £30.

Brian

Last edited by wrxmania; 21 January 2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 21 January 2005, 07:46 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

So they reseal the underbody on these checks..?

I didn't realise that, and in that case it's probably just about (just) justifiable..!
Old 21 January 2005, 07:58 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

had mine done. they inspect and reapply underseal etc as required a 1yr IIRC, at 2 years they fully underseal, and again at 4 years. My car got the full set of stamps for all 5 years
Old 21 January 2005, 08:01 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

£100 seems about right for the body service, bearing in mind the majority of that is labour I expect, as they inspect and refill box sections, and various boot/door panels etc as well with waxoyl.
Old 21 January 2005, 08:06 PM
MACH1
Scooby Regular

Yo Scratch, where did you get your name from man? It wasn't from Crossroads was it!
(If so Hell hounds on your tail son, Hell hounds on your tail)
Old 21 January 2005, 08:10 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

What ?

Am I missing something ?

Do you mean my username ?

If so, it the nickname I got at school over 20 years ago, as my surname is actual Hitchen, and some humourous soul decided that as a result of when you itch you scratch, then that would be my nickname and it has sort of stuck ever since.
Old 22 January 2005, 12:16 AM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - i'm convinced - ish! (Another 100 notes to the dealer!)
Old 22 January 2005, 12:27 AM
korky
Scooby Regular

I spoke to my dealer about this. The body warranty last for only six years and covers only corrosion from the inside out.

In their words "who has ever seen a rusty scooby less than six years old?"

In other words the dealer says that the treatment is a waste of money.

Let's face it - we all get stone chips so our corrosion would stem from untreated chips which would not be covered by underbody warranty.

That does not mean that if I was buying a six year old scoob I wouldn't choose one with the body checks above one which didn't!

....and I am paying for mine to have a good dose of underseal at its third birthday!

Cheers,

Korky
Old 22 January 2005, 01:01 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Phone around ! When I needed my 1yr body inspection/treatment I called 3 dealers. 1st was 125+vat , 2nd 100+vat , 3rd was 45+vat at KT Green, Otley, Leeds. Get servicing done for about half the price (and a better job ) at Scoobyclinic.
Old 22 January 2005, 12:51 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Yeah agree with that. The only problem when taking a car to the main dealer is that you don't know whether they really are competent. My main dealer didn't know the difference between the WRX and STI. My WRX was in for service, phoned me up and said my STI was ready for collection...errr WTF??? My mum can tell the difference (no, mine's not an STI lookalike).

Decided bollox to the warranty and took the car to Scoobyclinic (besides if the engine pops, I'll drop a 2.5 in; if the gearbox pops then I'll stick a 6 speed in ). At least I KNOW that the car will be serviced properly.
Old 22 January 2005, 04:13 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

My god think of the added weight from all that underseal!
The money the dealer takes may offset this by lightening your wallet though

Dipster
Old 13 May 2005, 10:18 PM
Scoobedoo
Scooby Regular

arrrhhh ****... just been down to the dealer to quiz them on some rust spots in the guttering around the boot area. Its on just over 2 years old.. always cleaned meticulously but the dude says its not covered due to no underbody services being carried out which i've never know about....

Hellooooo!!!!

they take the trouble to tell me my normal 'engine' service needs doing but not for the body.

What sort of sh1te are they trying to pull here... its quite obvious the car is rotting due to a design flaw.

If this dude from Subaru comes back to me and says 'sorry, Subaru can't help me' then their director is getting a polite letter.

Over and out.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:48 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Someone on www.wr1oc.co.uk paid £238 for their 10000 mile service and the body service.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:34 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

get a tin of underbody seal and do it properly your self, i have.... i bet i have done a much better job than a dealer would have.
only cost £11
Old 14 May 2005, 12:09 PM
wrx_sti_my04
Scooby Regular

My advice is if you don't want to run the gauntlet of main dealers and annual services, buy an old ford and spend the weekend servicing it yourself. Else stop moaning about the cost of running a new / nearly new car and enjoy the Subaru.
Old 22 May 2005, 05:27 PM
Jonesy24
Scooby Newbie

Get it done!! The amount of time you spend washing it, it needs all the protection it can get!! Top dollar paid so far, you should be used to it by now.............
Old 06 September 2005, 10:17 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Lads

Just searched the forum and found this. Am shocked by a number of things...

10k service on an MY05 yesterday. Price with only extra of a replacement battery in the key fob for the pathetic alarm system to try and improve range came, with VAT to £245, so that was a shock for the 10k service.

Then they spoke to me about the underbody warranty item and quoted about £160-170 incl VAT - blinkin flip!

Seems like its time to go somewhere else but maybe this is just Surrey prices!