wrx or sti ......

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2005, 05:41 PM
dude1974
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrx or sti ......

i posted earlier with regards to this.

had a few conversations and been told that the sti (03/04 model) ' cons ' are that it suffers low down on torque and also drinks optimax for fun, maybe not the ideal day to day car which i will be needing.

on the upside been told that the the wrx standard has improved drivability low down and also is not that bad on fuel if driven the right way, most reviews seem to suggest that the wrx 03 onwards is a much better car than the bug eyes.

my questions are, 1. is the sti much quicker than a standard wrx
2. would i be better going for a standard wrx with a few extras ( exhaust, spoiler etc, possibly prodrive ) ?

would appreciate what your experienced subaru ownersout there think because i need to find a car very soon and want to get the right one !!!!!

Matt
Old 17 January 2005, 06:04 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Lots of threads on this and I went through the same dilemma myself before xmas. At the end of the day I chose the WRX because of the sort of driving I do and the type of car I was after ie mostly commuting and wanting something fast but not too much hard work. I got PPP fitted though so it's got plenty of go as well.
In summary WRX = good fast car for driving day to day and good comfort.
STi = more focussed drivers car and ultimately faster and more opportunity for tuning. Really benefits from PPP for overall driveability.

Plenty of people on here though will tell you to go for the STi else you'll regret it later but at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice
GL and enjoy !
Old 17 January 2005, 07:08 PM
dude1974
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Bartop
Lots of threads on this and I went through the same dilemma myself before xmas. At the end of the day I chose the WRX because of the sort of driving I do and the type of car I was after ie mostly commuting and wanting something fast but not too much hard work. I got PPP fitted though so it's got plenty of go as well.
In summary WRX = good fast car for driving day to day and good comfort.
STi = more focussed drivers car and ultimately faster and more opportunity for tuning. Really benefits from PPP for overall driveability.

Plenty of people on here though will tell you to go for the STi else you'll regret it later but at the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice
GL and enjoy !
thanks for your time, i just don't know which to go for, i don't think ill be doing too much town driving so the sti does appeal but i will be using the car everyday.

maybe the only thing to do will be to test drive.........
Old 17 January 2005, 07:19 PM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

Try the extended test drive on both.
Old 17 January 2005, 07:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by andy1505
Indeed!!

My two cents: I've driven both and they're both excellent. The Sti does feel significantly quicker than the WRX; more so than the figures would suggest. However, it's harder. louder, more full on etc... which -depending on your preferences/need- might be a good or bad thing. The WRX is Pretty damned quick though, and plays the daily town trips/ morotway cruiser role far more convincingly. You can get the PPP for the WRX and have St performance and WRX comfort, or PPP the Sti and have a something ballistic and pretty much untouchable in the real world!

I've heard this lack of torque at low rpm talk all before. The Sti is set up so you can drive it like a granny and enjoy decent low speed manners around town...it feels like a 2.0 car should then -when you start driving it like you mean it- it accelerates like it means it...and boy does it pick up its heels; you'll be grinning like a loon. Of course its below 3500 rpm turn of speed seems puny in comparison, but it's that's very probably the idea! If you like a bit more torque down lower, that's where the PPP comes in.

Enjoy your test drives!

Best.
Old 17 January 2005, 07:54 PM
Shortboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy1505
I'll second that. I've been lucky enough to own the current WRX & then STi, and they're completely different, not just in performance but also ride, handling, character, etc. Test both.
Old 17 January 2005, 08:00 PM
dude1974
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Indeed!!

My two cents: I've driven both and they're both excellent. The Sti does feel significantly quicker than the WRX; more so than the figures would suggest. However, it's harder. louder, more full on etc... which -depending on your preferences/need- might be a good or bad thing. The WRX is Pretty damned quick though, and plays the daily town trips/ morotway cruiser role far more convincingly. You can get the PPP for the WRX and have St performance and WRX comfort, or PPP the Sti and have a something ballistic and pretty much untouchable in the real world!

I've heard this lack of torque at low rpm talk all before. The Sti is set up so you can drive it like a granny and enjoy decent low speed manners around town...it feels like a 2.0 car should then -when you start driving it like you mean it- it accelerates like it means it...and boy does it pick up its heels; you'll be grinning like a loon. Of course its below 3500 rpm turn of speed seems puny in comparison, but it's that's very probably the idea! If you like a bit more torque down lower, that's where the PPP comes in.

Enjoy your test drives!

Best.
yes i agree about the town driving with the sti, surely you would'nt be using all the bhp around town anyway ( i've grown out of my boy racer days ! ).

as with my previous car , lotus elise , i was disappointed with the lack of power there and needed to go for the 111s for the extra grunt, i reckon that if i do opt for thr wrx i will feel exactly the same.....
Old 17 January 2005, 08:00 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

why not buy a JDM STI a better car than both
Old 17 January 2005, 11:36 PM
rsalmon
Scooby Newbie

happy with straight WRX but this is my first scoob. PPP at some point but not just yet.
Old 18 January 2005, 12:39 AM
mr optimax
Scooby Newbie

sti with ppp is great and i drove it every day and loved it.
Old 18 January 2005, 07:09 PM
COF139
Scooby Regular

STI with PPP is great fun, but above comments about noise etc.are correct, as it is more harsh than the WRX. I drive mine daily and have no complaints, but it is quite different to the standard models.