Sponsored by:

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2005, 12:12 PM
r1co
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions

I have just bought my first scooby dbm MY01 and have a few questions.

1. How should you warm up the car and cool down?. The car is fitted with a turbo timer and waits 30secs before switching off. Is this enough for cooling the car down?.

2. When taking off first thing in the morning the car judders a little in first and second gear, this may be because i'm not used to the clutch however, this stops after about 30 mins of driving. Has anyone else experienced this?

3. When car is stationary with engine running. I can feel the car shaking slightly with the revs. Is this normal?

I'm probably being paranoid but would appreciate it if someone could kindly advise.
Old 17 January 2005, 12:31 PM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

1. To warm up its best to drive not sit ticking over. Stay below 3k rpm until the oil has warmed up, usually about 10 minutes. Cooling down depends on how much your turbo has been used prior to stopping. If I've been heavy with the right foot then I normally give it at least a minute or 2 before turning off. If I've just been cruising then I turn off straight away.
2. This sounds like the fabled clutch judder. A couple of full bore starts will usually sort it out for a while or just learn to live with it if it isnt too bad. Mine only does it mildly if its cold. A new clutch and flywheel will sort it out completely but I'm waiting until I burn out the current one first.
3. Cant help with this one, mine is extremely smooth on tickover. And its had a fair bit of modding done.

Hope this helps, Mark
Old 17 January 2005, 12:34 PM
New_scooby_04

Hello and welcome!

Originally Posted by r1co
I have just bought my first scooby dbm MY01 and have a few questions.

1. How should you warm up the car and cool down?. The car is fitted with a turbo timer and waits 30secs before switching off. Is this enough for cooling the car down?. .
Warm up: Keep the car at below 2500-3000 revs for the first 10 mins or so of driving. Most engine wear occurs then; you need to give the oil a chance to warm up before extending the engine. This is very important in any performance car. Your turbo timer should take care of the cool down, the duration of the time taken to switch the car off depends on how hard it has been driven prior to you parking up. If you've been driving gently for a while (as good as leaving the car idling) 30secs is enough. If you've just come off the motorway 2 mins would be more like it! Your timer should adjust automatically.

2. When taking off first thing in the morning the car judders a little in first and second gear, this may be because i'm not used to the clutch however, this stops after about 30 mins of driving. Has anyone else experienced this?.
Yep, the famed Scooby clutch judder! It's fine; they all do that sir. I'm told this is due to the high friction components in the clutch needing time to get to optimum operating temp. 30mins does seem a bit long though, mine has gone after about 5mins. Cars do vary in the severity and duration of this symptom, however. Have you tried changing the clutch fluid. DOT 5.1 might improve things no end.

3. When car is stationary with engine running. I can feel the car shaking slightly with the revs. Is this normal?
Depends what you mean by shaking, if it feels like it's repeatedly threatening to stall then recovering then this could be an indication of a dodgy MAF. You should get this sorted immediately, as it's a fueling issue that could cause the engine to go bang! If it's just a light regular pulsing which seems to correspond to idling speed, then this is just an indication that you're running something with a bit of poke under the bonnet! What exhaust do you have? Anything other than the std. twin pipe "peashooters" tend to amplify vibrations in the cabin slightly.

Best wishes and enjoy!
Old 17 January 2005, 12:44 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Really important to warm these car's up before any boost is applied. If you haven't got an oil temp gauge in your car then your probably unawear that once the water temp has come up to full temp the car will infact take at least another 10minutes or so for the oil temp to really come up to full working temperature.
So take it easy is what i'm say here. Keep it below 3000 rpm.
Cooling down. Again as your awear real important this. Weather i have experianced a spirited run or a leasurely run i cool the thing down no matter. No turbo timer fitted in mine so i sit with the car on tick over for about 2 minutes or so, then shut it down.

Turbo timers can be frowned on by some insurance companys by the way, reason being they don't like an unattended car which is running. Not say your walk away, but well worth following this up. TT imo aren't worth the money best sit with the thing. Can muck up security devices as well. Seeing as yours was already installed the choice is yours.

Shacky car, no mine run's well. Even when stone cold it seems to tick over just fine.

Juddery pull away. Well yes i had this for a while. Once things had warmed up a bit, things did improove a bit. However things just weren't right. Put it down to worn clutch plates on mine. Fly wheel was fine.

Last edited by Rokay; 17 January 2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 17 January 2005, 02:47 PM
r1co
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replies,

The shaking is more like a light regular pulsing as mentioned by new_scooby_04, so nothing to worry about.

V. V. pleased with this car, have had a permanent smile on my face since i bought it last week!!
Old 17 January 2005, 02:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Thanks for your replies,

The shaking is more like a light regular pulsing as mentioned by new_scooby_04, so nothing to worry about.

V. V. pleased with this car, have had a permanent smile on my face since i bought it last week!!
Glad you're enjoying it. They are great cars. Look after it and you'll be very happy for a long time! Now, just try and stop yourself from modifying it!

Best wishes,
Old 18 January 2005, 03:01 AM
jimmy boo
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys for the advice regarding warming up,I was under the impression that as soon as the water temp. was up I could go for it but ill now have to be a bit more restrained.
I've had my MY00 for 18 months now,all i've done is stick a Scorpion exhaust on,and it brings a smile to my face every day. A mate was so impressed he's just got a My98.

Trending Topics

Old 18 January 2005, 09:14 AM
Jewels-Terzo
Scooby Regular

Nick ALWAYS runs ours on tick over for at least 2/3 mins before he pulls off the drive and ALWAYS takes the last mile home to slow it down.

And don't forget to run it on Shell Optimax!!!!!!

jewels
Old 18 January 2005, 10:40 AM
r1co
Scooby Regular

Thanx jewels.

The guy i bought it off always used optimax or super unleaded.

should i only use optimax or super unleaded ok?
Old 18 January 2005, 06:47 PM
Jewels-Terzo
Scooby Regular

Most would say 'Nothing but Optimax''!

But.................bear in mind a lot of the Optimax garages are closing, our local one is
Old 18 January 2005, 06:55 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

I got exactly the same car m8, dbm my01, and with the same smile no doubt
Old 18 January 2005, 11:08 PM
funky_monk_flying
Scooby Regular

as above re: warming up and down

re: shaky engine ,mine is exactly the same has been since new 3 yrs ago ,kind of like a shiver every so often yeah?