Sponsored by:

Anybody else had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2005, 08:50 AM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Anybody else had this problem?

On parking the car on friday, i found that it would not start (bugeye wrx). Neither of the fobs worked to open the doors and therefore override the alarm. I could get into the car (with the key) but once in using the number pad i was unable to enter the "corect" number and therefore disarm the alarm.....But after about 30 minutes i was able to disarm the car and drive away...
But then on sunday the dam thing happened in the metro centre carpark....It had to go on a towtruck about 2 miles from the metro centre before the keyfob would work( possibled due to interferance). When this incident happened on the sunday i had both key blippers and both have new battery's.....
I am going to get it booked into a dealer ASAP. But has this hapened to anybody else and if so how did you cure it.

Yours Peter
Old 17 January 2005, 09:35 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Believe its been a common problem Pete in certain areas or carparks due to interferance. Seem to remember a while back the name of a carpark in Blackpool was posted to avoid.

Im sure others who have suffered will elaborate. I personally havent had the problem.

J
Old 17 January 2005, 09:38 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Indeed a common problem, sometimes caused by telephone masts.

Avoid Tesco's car park in Potters Bar and the nearby BP Station, I've been caught out in both places more than once Entering the code on the keypad should do the trick though, do you definately have the right code?

Chris
Old 17 January 2005, 09:40 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

yep had it a few times when my MY00 has been parked under either large vertical type things (lamp posts, masts etc) or those burglar alarm movement sensors...not much fun.
Old 17 January 2005, 09:42 AM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

problem is the key code does not work....but i've searched on here and have found that i have being turning the key in the ignition rather than just putting the key in the ignition prior to entering the code will try this tonight.
Thanks for your help
Old 17 January 2005, 09:46 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

If memory serves I didn't put the keys in the ignition at all when entering the code.

Chris
Old 17 January 2005, 09:55 AM
Husaberk
Scooby Regular

Had this problem with my MY00. Phone masts appeared to stop it and the keypad bypass method didn't work. Turned out the keypad was bust, Subaru Assist replaced this and then my dealer ordered an improved Alarm ECU. Had one or two problems while waiting for the ECU but the new keypad always got me going again.

Trending Topics

Old 17 January 2005, 10:03 AM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem with my MY01 WRX. Had the alarm box and keypad replaced under warranty and end of problems.

Mark
Old 17 January 2005, 10:17 AM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peter Horlock
On parking the car on friday, i found that it would not start (bugeye wrx). Neither of the fobs worked to open the doors and therefore override the alarm. I could get into the car (with the key) but once in using the number pad i was unable to enter the "corect" number and therefore disarm the alarm.....But after about 30 minutes i was able to disarm the car and drive away...

Yours Peter
Parking by any sort of transmitter can cause this problem. Particularly radio (communications) transmitters, apparently a problem that can affect a lot of Subarus according to Subaru Assist. They carried me 200yds down the road and it worked fine.

The way round it like was said above is to use the keypad. That then answered the question I'd had since I got the car. What is that keypad for?
Old 17 January 2005, 10:24 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Just to add that the keypad should work fine if you have the right PIN. Just open the car, the alarm will go off, and enter the PIN. No need to put the keys in the ignition.

However if you get it wrong after 2-3 attempts (not sure exactly how many it is) then the system will not allow any further attempts for 1/2 hour.
Old 17 January 2005, 10:24 AM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

oh well its off to the dealers tomorrow to try and get the keypad to work.
cheers
peter
Old 17 January 2005, 11:21 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Yep - dealer can reset the PIN to one of your choice. This is a common problem with many cars - not just Scoobs. I have this problem at my sister's house. I cannot use the key fob and must lock the car on the key.

One of the guys at work found that he couldn't get the key fob to work on his Lexus - this was parked outside his house. The problem was traced to a new NTL box that had been placed on the opposite side of the road. NTL investigated, found there was 'emissions leakage' - replaced some equipment and problem solved!