Sponsored by:

My New WRX - and poss problem?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2005, 08:01 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New WRX - and poss problem?

Just picked up my gorgeous crystal grey MY05 WRX and had the fortunate experience of a 120 mile drive home... we now know each other intimately and the wedding is next May (will get some pics on when I've washed her again and the weather's a bit better)

Am a little worried about 1 thing though.

After picking the car up (16 miles on clock) I drove to a mates house about 10 miles away. On the way I got caught in traffic and got a distinct whiff of burning oil in the cabin! This disappeared when I moved off again. Got to my mates and could smell same when I got out of the car. Popped bonnet.. same smell. Nothing major.. no smoke etc. the kind of smell you get if you spill a bit of oil when filling it up.

Anyway.. I put this down to the fact it was new and it was probably everything getting hot for the first time etc...

My concern is... when I got home 110 miles later I got the same smell in the cabin!!!! had a quick sniff round the bonnet but nothing there!

Does this sound normal... if it is 'new car residue' shouldn't it have burned off after 110 miles?

Thanks for any help

Paul
Old 14 January 2005, 08:05 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Had the same with mine, MY05 WRX just before xmas - think it must be a new car thing

Worse than that though is keeping it under 4k for the next 900 miles
Old 14 January 2005, 08:31 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bartop
Had the same with mine, MY05 WRX just before xmas - think it must be a new car thing

Worse than that though is keeping it under 4k for the next 900 miles
Phew... was getting worried... how many miles until it dissapeared?

BTW mines identical to yours and it definately DOES need lowering... as it is I could probably enter and finish the Dakar Rally

4K... nahh.. I'm mixing standard running in with a bit of the power method (there's a thread on here somewhere) not going silly but not getting too hung up on the 4k thing... don't mind going to 5k on occasion and even hit 5.5 when I overtook a wagon on the way home... the last thing I was interested in was my rev counter!!! Most of the time spent between 3 & 4k... still plenty of kick from the turbo though even in that range

And yes..... I SMILED ALL THE WAY HOME

Eee Eck..... I can wave at other scoobies now!!

Paul
Old 14 January 2005, 08:56 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

I'd say I only really noticed it for the first couple of days..

lol @ Dakar rally I considered getting the prodrive springs and geometry at the first service which was today but decided to leave it for now - got PPP though
You changed the wheels ? Wish I'd gone for lighter ones now - the anthracite is a bit dark I think tbh.
Stick some pics up soon !
Old 14 January 2005, 09:06 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

I'd say I only really noticed it for the first couple of days..

lol @ Dakar rally I considered getting the prodrive springs and geometry at the first service which was today but decided to leave it for now - got PPP though
You changed the wheels ? Wish I'd gone for lighter ones now - the anthracite is a bit dark I think tbh.
Stick some pics up soon !
I love the anthracite.... gives off a real 'rally muscle car' image (i think)

Really want PPP but am worried about the insurance implications. What effect on you? have you noticed anything different?

PAul
Old 14 January 2005, 09:10 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Cost me an extra £60 a year with Norwich Union which I was more than happy with seeing as they were the cheapest quote I got
Only got it today so haven't had much time to play - I wouldn't say at this stage it feels like a completely different car or anything but the sound is fantastic
Old 14 January 2005, 10:09 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Cost me an extra £60 a year with Norwich Union which I was more than happy with seeing as they were the cheapest quote I got
Only got it today so haven't had much time to play - I wouldn't say at this stage it feels like a completely different car or anything but the sound is fantastic
Wow.. 60 quid a year!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with NU too... just so I've got a benchmark how much was it a year before PPP (if you don't mind of course)?

Paul

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2005, 10:28 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

£60? Now I'm even more tempted to get it on mine.

I've done almost 2K in my 05 and although it has settled a bit, it still looks like it's drowning a set of beautiful wheels (I've got those bronze-ish ones on it). I did however just get my Scott's Automotive mudflaps on and they do make it look like it's sitting a bit lower, but it really does need the Prodrive Springs. Then PPP.
Old 14 January 2005, 10:52 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st3ph3n
£60? Now I'm even more tempted to get it on mine.

I've done almost 2K in my 05 and although it has settled a bit, it still looks like it's drowning a set of beautiful wheels (I've got those bronze-ish ones on it). I did however just get my Scott's Automotive mudflaps on and they do make it look like it's sitting a bit lower, but it really does need the Prodrive Springs. Then PPP.
How much were the Scotts flaps Stephen? I am gonna have to get some... was driving home tonight over the Pennines and the temp dropped from 9 deg in the west to 2 deg in the east (yorks dales) it was at this point I started coming accross grit!!!!!! I swear I felt every sodding piece of the stuff that my tyres threw up and caught the bodywork!!!

I was thinking of the prodrive (black) ones but if there is a cheaper option that looks as good and does as good a job?

Paul

Last edited by Vipa; 14 January 2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 14 January 2005, 11:29 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

http://www.scottsautomotive.co.uk/Sc...sp?idproduct=1

£145 (set of 4, not a pair like the prodrive prices). I got black ones and they're a good match to my Black WRX. I actually cheated and got a garage to fit them yesterday. Cost me £35 which I think was well worth it.

I can only do the work in the daylight as I had no where big enough to do it indoors, and getting an hour or two in the dry this weather could leave me waiting until sometime in June.

I'll do some photos in the daylight tomorrow.
Old 14 January 2005, 11:44 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st3ph3n
http://www.scottsautomotive.co.uk/Sc...sp?idproduct=1

£145 (set of 4, not a pair like the prodrive prices). I got black ones and they're a good match to my Black WRX. I actually cheated and got a garage to fit them yesterday. Cost me £35 which I think was well worth it.

I can only do the work in the daylight as I had no where big enough to do it indoors, and getting an hour or two in the dry this weather could leave me waiting until sometime in June.

I'll do some photos in the daylight tomorrow.
Cheers Stephen... I'll look forward to seeing them...

First job on the agenda though (as I've already got the gear ready) is to get that horrible head unit out and put a nice shiny new Alpine one in

I had to laugh on the way home.... the front of the head unit had the protective plastic sticky stuff on which I was gonna leave as it's coming out ASAP and won't see the light of day again till I PX it for an STi in 3 years
Anyway... I'm driving along in the dark and the display is all blured 'cos of the plastic and it started to get on my nerves so i decide to rip it off and.........The display is still blurred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul
Old 15 January 2005, 09:12 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vipa
Just picked up my gorgeous crystal grey MY05 WRX and had the fortunate experience of a 120 mile drive home... we now know each other intimately and the wedding is next May (will get some pics on when I've washed her again and the weather's a bit better)

Am a little worried about 1 thing though.

After picking the car up (16 miles on clock) I drove to a mates house about 10 miles away. On the way I got caught in traffic and got a distinct whiff of burning oil in the cabin! This disappeared when I moved off again. Got to my mates and could smell same when I got out of the car. Popped bonnet.. same smell. Nothing major.. no smoke etc. the kind of smell you get if you spill a bit of oil when filling it up.

Anyway.. I put this down to the fact it was new and it was probably everything getting hot for the first time etc...

My concern is... when I got home 110 miles later I got the same smell in the cabin!!!! had a quick sniff round the bonnet but nothing there!

Does this sound normal... if it is 'new car residue' shouldn't it have burned off after 110 miles?

Thanks for any help

Paul
Vipa

Nice car - have exactly the same but 5 door SL. And just so you know, I have even smelt the same smell some 1,800 miles along - now on 3,300 and not smelt it for a while. It comes from things like the protective wax they spray on hitting things under the bonnet that can take a long time to get hot (ie a long journey) and can make a difference, little bits of oil on things (they normally burn off fairly quickly), underseal that's got in the wrong place. Little things like that - nought to worry about...

Andy
Old 15 January 2005, 10:56 AM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

First job on the agenda though (as I've already got the gear ready) is to get that horrible head unit out and put a nice shiny new Alpine one in

I had to laugh on the way home.... the front of the head unit had the protective plastic sticky stuff on which I was gonna leave as it's coming out ASAP and won't see the light of day again till I PX it for an STi in 3 years
Anyway... I'm driving along in the dark and the display is all blured 'cos of the plastic and it started to get on my nerves so i decide to rip it off and.........The display is still blurred!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul
I did exactly the same, but swapped mine for a Pioneer Avic-X1 Sat Nav, DVD Player. Excellent, although the door cards still rattle and I am booked in the garage on MOn morning cause the arial doesn't work.

I too had the burning smell, and also when the PPP was fitted at the first service, I got a real horrible Bad egg smell from the Exhaust, I can only presume this was the remianing Cat getting used to the freer flowing gases. All seems well now with 1400miles on the clock.
Old 15 January 2005, 11:13 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

yes
My dad got worried when he smelt burning chemicals on our new WRX last year. After reading this forum for so long i knew it was the protective laquer on the engine.
Old 15 January 2005, 01:43 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

Paul
Right, Pictures. http://www.st3ph3n.com/images/car/5.jpg and http://www.st3ph3n.com/images/car/6.jpg. Not the best pictures as the conditions aren't so bright outside, and I'm taking pictures of a black car with black mudflaps. It looks like it needs cleaned AGAIN. THink I'll need to get the Swissol and give it a proper going over.

I've not swapped the headunit on mine yet as I'm considering doing something just a little bit different. Thinking about a 7" VGA Touchscreen mounted in the dash, hooked up to a PC of some sort. Maybe even one of the new Mac Mini.

Next on my list will be the prodrive springs I think.

The burning smell. Also had that.

I thought it smelled a bit like ... Victory.