Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a repaired, rear ended, 99 Legacy B4?
£4,000
46.15%
£5,000
23.08%
£6,000
7.69%
£7,000
15.38%
£8,000
7.69%
£9,000
0%
£10,000
0%
£11,000
0%
£12,000
0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

How much would you pay for a car knowing it had been in an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2005, 01:46 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would you pay for a car knowing it had been in an accident?

How much would you pay for a Legacy B4 RSK 2.0 Twin Turbo 1999/V reg tiptronic. I paid a little over 12,000 for it with 15 months warranty. It had a new cambelt and full service at 43,000 miles and currently has 50,000 on the clock. Pic is here

The back end has been stoved in at about 50mph, requiring chassis straightening as well as a new bumper and exhaust and some electrical work. Work is being done by scoobyclinic.

Poorer examples of the 99 B4 tend to go four about 7-9 grand on Autotrader, usually in silver which is a common colour. Mine is a nice purple and also has the optional spoiler which is apparently quite rare.

How much do you reckon it's worth now?
Old 14 January 2005, 03:06 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Would never buy any car that was a write-off (which it sounds like this car was) and then subsquently repaired:

1 - You never know how well it was repaired

2 - Wait till you come to sell it, and then see if it worth it....

Good luck
Old 14 January 2005, 04:04 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Would never buy any car that was a write-off (which it sounds like this car was) and then subsquently repaired:

1 - You never know how well it was repaired

2 - Wait till you come to sell it, and then see if it worth it....

Good luck
The car was not written off, it was in an accident and then repaired.
It drove fine after the crash, it just had two bits of chassis sticking through the back bumper, and they had to use a forklift truck blade to get the boot open so I could get my stuff out.
Old 14 January 2005, 05:24 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Fair enough - but it still twisted the chassis and in my opinion, this is enough to change a car for good. My apolgoies - an incorrect assumption, so you should be OK for re-sale unless someone spots the repair work, so maybe not that much cost change at all...
Old 14 January 2005, 05:26 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Fair enough - but it still twisted the chassis and in my opinion, this is enough to change a car for good. My apolgoies - an incorrect assumption, so you should be OK for re-sale unless someone spots the repair work, so maybe not that much cost change at all...
It didn't twist the entire chasis, there are two lengths of box section, not sure where they go but it seems just the ends are bent.
I'll be declaring the accident, you have to by law don't you? It'll be HPI'd anyway, so they'll find out regardless.
And like I said ScoobyClinic are doing the repairs, so it should be good.
Old 14 January 2005, 05:28 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

I bought a st mondeo before my current scoob which had chassis damage but i checked it out and had been fixed professionally,i paid 1500 quid less than book price an got a bargain.Never had any trouble with it what so ever and was a minter
Old 14 January 2005, 09:29 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

bump to get the opinion of the evening crew

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2005, 12:21 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If it hasnt been recorded by HPI and a V23 hasnt been submitted it depends on the quality/integrity of the repair. Cars can be repaired properly and it shouldnt affect the value; a bodge will halve its value.

Simon
Old 15 January 2005, 08:46 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

I thought HPI logged all accidents that went through the insurance? And you're legally obliged to declare it anyway?
Old 15 January 2005, 08:49 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If it went through insurance it'll be on the register and yes, you need to declare it to a seller or they can sue you if they find out later on.
Old 16 January 2005, 12:11 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.
Default sounds expensive!

This April I brought a 2000 B4 with 41,000 on the clock.This is in silver ,full leather,etc & is a manual ,which is preferable in my opinion & has ,I've been told,slightly more power than the tiptronic.

It was imported new from Japan with only 2 owners in the UK which means I could track the history.
Also I prefer it as it has no body kit or blacked out windows & being a fairly rare model in this country it is a good 'stealth car' (see my letter in last months Top-Gear magazine about this).I have spent about £800 on cam-belt & servicing etc. also £200 on 2 new tyres.

I think you paid a bit over the odds for a unknown quantity.I paid £9,150 for my car.

Still, if you can sort it you will have a great car.
I love mine & being a more mature Subaru driver with kids it suits me very well.
Old 16 January 2005, 03:43 PM
Jewels-Terzo
Scooby Regular

If the accident was relatively serious I wouldn't touch it with any amount of money!
Old 16 January 2005, 03:59 PM
Twohats
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
If it went through insurance it'll be on the register and yes, you need to declare it to a seller or they can sue you if they find out later on.
do ya mean a buyer?
if you sell a car on that has been in an accident and subsequently been repaired and put on the register as a cat d or c you arent obliged by law to tell the person you are selling it to and can sell it on for top money, it all depends on the honesty of the seller, even a garage doesnt have to tell you unless you ask and then you would need to get it in writing from them if at a later date you find its on the register and try and take them to court,(waste of time)
to prove you asked. its best to just hpi them yourself
Old 16 January 2005, 04:04 PM
Twohats
Scooby Regular

trouble nowadays is ya dont need a lot of damage on a car for it to be put on the register and classed as a "write off". the phrase "write off" is a bit misleading. ive seen cars that only need a few bolt on panels and a coat of paint and they are as good as new.
Old 16 January 2005, 09:45 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I work in the motor trade and as a guideline, if a car is listed as major accident damage when we do the Experian (HPI) check, we value the car initially at half the trade price shown by Glasses Guide/CAP Black Book. If the damage is not severe nothing shows up anyway, only if cat A to D (write off).