Sponsored by:

WRX PPP UK 03

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2005, 10:42 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX PPP UK 03

Having driven a few WRX and STi Prodrives I have noticed the power can vary from slightly surgy to very surgy on most - if running on Optimax, does this car run perfectly smooth and linear on full power through the gears or is the surge a bi-product of the PPP re-map?

How would you rate the Prodrive spring upgrade for the 03 (with and without larger wheels) - is it similar to std STi or does it retain the fabulous featherbed rode quality of the std WRX but without the roll

What consumption can be expected on a motorway (90) and quick driving around the countryside?

Any recomendations on exhaust changes and similar that are acceptable to I.M. / Dealer

What price could an 03 WRX PPP be picked up for?

cheers

p.s. have experience of 03 STi PPP which is great but expensive
Old 14 January 2005, 04:19 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
Having driven a few WRX and STi Prodrives I have noticed the power can vary from slightly surgy to very surgy on most - if running on Optimax, does this car run perfectly smooth and linear on full power through the gears or is the surge a bi-product of the PPP re-map?

How would you rate the Prodrive spring upgrade for the 03 (with and without larger wheels) - is it similar to std STi or does it retain the fabulous featherbed rode quality of the std WRX but without the roll

What consumption can be expected on a motorway (90) and quick driving around the countryside?

Any recomendations on exhaust changes and similar that are acceptable to I.M. / Dealer

cheers

Somebody must have a WRX PPP?!
Old 14 January 2005, 07:12 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Mightyvid has an 05 WRX PPP, and very happy by all accounts..!

I'll be there as soon as I can afford it, and prodrive springs with sti bump stops..!

Jason
Old 14 January 2005, 07:15 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Got my 05 WRX done today - haven't had much time to play but it sounds much nicer

Will have to let you know..!
Old 14 January 2005, 10:02 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Arrow

...slightly surgy to very surgy ...

Power surge? Are you talking about a flat spot? You should hear the turbo start to spool up around 2500 RPM, and it should pull cleanly to the red line with no hiccups, lumpiness or flatspots. My test drive was in a standard bugeye which was as lumpy as week-old custard on boost. Maybe the 95 RON had something to do with it

I used to have a flatspot when running pure optimax, but it has disappeared now that I use Optimax and Esso Super alternately.

MPG at 90MPH should be in the range of 25-27. Lower speed will be more efficient.

As for exhaust/back boxes, ask your dealer, he will be happy to sell you a "sport" back box. Ask about third party back boxes and he'll give you a nod/wink to let you know if he's bothered or not.

Last edited by Jiggerypokery; 14 January 2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 14 January 2005, 10:59 PM
bigknd
Scooby Regular

cheers

Got my 04 wrx PPP have now done 17K since new on Optimax, very pleased pulls well from 2.5K to red line with no lumpyness or flat spots. Full consumption ranges from 22 to around 30mpg. Have keep a record of all litres used and average works out at 26mpg. Have still got original 17" wheels and standard springs on at mo

bigknd
Old 14 January 2005, 11:22 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Smile

cheers

Not sure what you mean by a surge, but mine is relatively smooth throughout the rev range, well as smooth as any Subaru ever is.

Since Optimax crept over 90p/litre, I have been using Esso SUL, which seems fine, no noticeable loss of power and far cheaper.

The Prodrive spring upgrade I would recommend. The lower stance looks better and the handling is improved over standard. Still a bit of roll in high speed corners, which will be solved once I fit some solid droplinks and uprated
A/R bars. The ride is hard though, maybe not as hard as the STI, but on anything but a perfectly smooth M/Way you notice every bump!

Motorway MPG is between 25 and 28MPG, 80-90MPH and never more than 22 on a decent A and B road run. Average overall, 70% motorway will be around 24.

If it's got PPP, the exhaust, IMO, is loud enough and not too loud as to be anti-social! Make sure you get one with the PPP.

Mine was registered in April 2003 with 30K on the clock, UK bought and my local dealer has offered £14K as a P/X. And I am still on the original tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by DJ140; 14 January 2005 at 11:25 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2005, 11:59 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

I had a WRX PPP 03 for 2 years and 15k. The Prodrive springs are an absolute must, I'm sure you'll be very impressed with the ride and handling. Also, mine had quickshift, a nice Momo gearknob, alloy gear surround, SWRT mudflaps (which scrape loudly over bumps and speed humps), and the Prodrive mesh grill kit which looked gorgeous, also functional as it stops insects denting the bottom of the radiator! I sold this lovely car for an Evo 7 FQ 300, and what a big mistake...........that's another story though!
Old 15 January 2005, 04:45 AM
Stevie_h
Scooby Regular

My UK 03 wrx ppp with 20 k miles cost me £14500 in november! I love it too bits, its head and shoulders above my previous classic.Don't know what you mean about surges, the power delivery is smooth and progressive.
Fuel consumption puts my classic to shame,
Ste
Old 15 January 2005, 10:44 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

cheers guys- keep the feed back coming - considering downgrading from 03 STi PPP to raise some cash

Would like an SL PPP in silver or perhaps met red if available - have mint WRC blue 19k miles car and looking for max cash difference.

cheers
Old 15 January 2005, 02:58 PM
Elliot
Scooby Regular

I collected my 03 WRX PPP on the 30th Dec and i love it !! Paid £14995 for it with 18K on the clock and got £10K part ex for my 00 WRX bugeye with 46K on it.

Still got standard springs but I do have BK Racing 238 18" wheels and Toyo Proxes which I transferred off my old one. Handling is really good although a decent set of springs is probably next on my list of mods as it does seem to sit quite high.

Power is as smooth as anything and has plenty of torque which is a massive improvement over the bugeye. Another bonus is that it doesn't suffer from the juddering that my old one did when pulling away.

To be honest I am not sure about fuel consumption but I reckon I am spending less on fuel than I did before (I only use Optimax). I can only put this down to not having to drive so hard thanks to the extra power.

I wouldn't think the exhaust needs changing from the PPP one which looks and sounds really good without being over the top.

El