another one bites the dust/advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2005, 07:27 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy another one bites the dust/advice needed

http://www.riftzone.f2s.com/sheeeeeet/

after 17 years of driving without a single claim the statistical burden was getting too heavy - i knew my first off would be a big one. yesterday was that day. i came round a corner on a backroad around 30mph, the back end steps out on black ice, i try to catch it. as i come round the corner sideways, i see a stationary post office van and another car, two people in the middle of the road. my mind changes from damage limitation to life preservation. the rear passenger side clangs off the rear of the van, sending me towards oncoming traffic. i manage to put it in a ditch, along the side of a fence and into a tree. no-one was hurt. apparently the other car had gone off at the same spot and the van was helping the driver of the car.

having never had an accident, i need to draw on the experience of scoobynet:-

the only straight panel is the roof. its a my99, standard uk turbo with 80k on the clock. i reckon its a write off ?

my dealer says the glasses guide trade figure for my car is £6,300. what can i expect from the insurance if written off ?

i have personal plates on. have made it clear verbally to the insurers that the reg does not form part of the salvage - they tell me i need a form from the post office. are they trying to say i need to put it on a retention cert ? will the delay in getting a retention cert delay a payout ?

the cars paid for in may. do i need to declare the loan to the insurers or just settle direct with the loan company once i have the settlement ? does the loan company need to know ?

the cars getting collected this morning. i wont be around for that. it would break my heart - i worked damned hard for this car.

cheers
Old 14 January 2005, 08:10 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

and how does protected no claims bonus work for a written off car ? will i still get my full no claims bonus on my next car ? will i have to stay with existing insurers to get that or will other companies honour my protected bonus ?

am i likely to be able to afford to insure another scoob ? (i currently pay £627 full comp with protected ncb).

cheers
Old 14 January 2005, 08:29 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Riftzone
and how does protected no claims bonus work for a written off car ? will i still get my full no claims bonus on my next car ? will i have to stay with existing insurers to get that or will other companies honour my protected bonus ?

am i likely to be able to afford to insure another scoob ? (i currently pay £627 full comp with protected ncb).

cheers
I have "market value" on my insurance for car valuation. I can make two claims without increase in payments. Check your small print though.
Old 14 January 2005, 08:30 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Currently going through getting a payout for my writen off mcrae, first thing is don't expect a quick solution, gonna be a week ish to sort out if it is a write off then another two to three to get a payout unless its a repair job.

Looking at the pics (and by no means take what i say as being for) i have a feeling you'll be lucky and it wont be right off, main pillars look ok and unless chassis is twisted the pannels can be repaird, (for a def right off have look at the pics for mine, search on here for mcrae and the post is tittled something like i wrote of my mcrae).
It might not cost you anything extra at all cos its your only claim (think the standard thing is you can claim up to twice without loosing your no claims with protection)

As far as the loan goes, is it a bank loan or is it on finance?

Even with a claim you'll be surprised at insurance prices, for my new car i'm gonna geta 2.2 astra sri and the insurance is about £200 more than for a 1.8 sri i had about 6 months ago and thats with full disclosure inculding the accident. Do the usual shop around and you may be surprised how little difference if any.
Old 14 January 2005, 08:32 AM
wanted
Scooby Regular

The protected no claims works like this (I think), on renewal you will be quoted for your car + a claim, less your current no claims.

So if it is £800 minus 6years no claims discount = xxx amount, now it will be....

say £900 (because you've had a claim) minus 6 years no claims discount= xxx amount.

I think that's how it works, if i'm wrong I am sure someone will say so.
Old 14 January 2005, 08:57 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

cheers tidgy. sorry to hear about the mcrae. the car was grounded in the ditch, rear passenger side up in the air so not sure about the chassis. as for the loan, its finance taken with the dealer i bought it from - do i need to inform them ? now or when/if its written off ?

cheers wanted - thats encouraging. been rackin my brains for another car if worst comes to worst and just keep comin back to a scoob every time. its the only car i've ever really wanted

blue dragon - 2 claims in 3 years rings a bell. will have to check...
Old 14 January 2005, 09:32 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

wanted, thats exactly how it works, you dont lose your no claims, but your base premium goes up to take the claim into account.

Gutted for you riftzone

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2005, 03:44 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, appreciate it...
Old 20 January 2005, 09:02 AM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

just for the record, the car was officially written off yesterday. v6 mundano lookin in order....
Old 20 January 2005, 09:52 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Riftzone
just for the record, the car was officially written off yesterday. v6 mundano lookin in order....
How come you arent getting another scoob?
Old 20 January 2005, 06:35 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

running/servicin costs, dodgy build quality and complete lack of toys.... time for a change...
Old 20 January 2005, 07:10 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Ah that's ok, its just seemed a bit of a change from earlier posts. Thought you'd had a problem with insurance.

All the best!