265 BHP Vs 300 BHP Prodrive - I'm confused

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2005, 10:28 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 265 BHP Vs 300 BHP Prodrive - I'm confused

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting an Sti Prodrive in March (thanks to persuasion in another thread!) and am a wee bit confused about the difference between the 265 bhp and the 300 bhp versions I'm seeing on Autotrader and elsewhere.

I'm looking at 02 and 52 plates, I thought that the 300bhp version may be an import but it's advertised as "UK Car" - is this the case??

If so how does the Prodrive kit on the 300bhp differ from the one on the 265??

Help much appreciated, although having seen the insurance quote for the 300 (with tracker! ) I think it won't be happening!
Old 12 January 2005, 10:32 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

The prodrive kit is an officially fitted tune up kit.

It consists of a new ECU, exhaust, high flow cat and larger capacity fuel pump. it lifts the power from 265 to 300 (ish) but also increases the torque thoughout the range.

It is fitted at the dealerships and maintains full UK warrenty. Kit costs about £2k. It comes with a certificate so make sure any car claiming to have it fitted has one.

prodrive also advise the fitting of the larger wheels.

All in all a worthwhile upgrade (and i've not got round to fitting it to mine yet).

ps

Bubba, ooops, clicked the wrong bit

Last edited by Gary C; 12 January 2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12 January 2005, 10:33 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C
The prodrive kit is
I await the rest of this post with interest.......
Old 12 January 2005, 10:36 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gary C
it lifts the power from 265 to 300 (ish)
Aye, but what's the difference between the 265 PPP and the 300 PPP? Thanking you.
Old 12 January 2005, 10:38 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scg
Aye, but what's the difference between the 265 PPP and the 300 PPP? Thanking you.
?, their is no 265 ppp for the STi (2003 ish models)

The WRX ppp takes that to 265, the STi ppp takes it from 265 to 300

On the bugeye models their was a 'prodrive kit' which consisted of the body kit but left the engine performance at 265.

Welcome to the world of totally confusing and contradictory impreza badging

Maybe you should try a Subaru impreza STi type RA Spec C Ltd, oops missed the WRX from that.

pps, the UK cars are badged 'Type UK'

Last edited by Gary C; 12 January 2005 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12 January 2005, 10:41 PM
Barnesy
Scooby Regular

The 265bhp is standard for the 02 STI.
The 02 STI Prodrive is another model, which came with bigger spoiler, a few comestic bits and 265bhp.
For 300bhp it has to have had PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) fitted.
Stu

Last edited by Barnesy; 12 January 2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12 January 2005, 10:44 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

think you either may be confusing the ppp for the wrx taking a wrx from 217/220/225ps to 260ps and the ppp for the wrx sti which is 265ps to 305ps upgrade.

i think with early uk sti's there was a prodrive "style" which is just bodykit and spoiler and was 265 as standard, but you could also have PPP which would take this to 305ps. if you bought a non prodive style sti it didnt have the big wing or skirts ect but you could still have PPP.

this prodrive style was scrapped and all the cars now look the same and standard 265 305 with PPP.

confused yet .

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2005, 10:45 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at 02 / 52 Plates. All the Sti Prodrives I've seen on Autotrader state 265bhp?

I've looked at a Sti Prodrive in a main subaru dealer which he told me had Prodrive and 265bhp, I've stuck the reg into Direct Line and it comes up as Sti Prodrive, I would have thought the dealer would have shown off about the 300 bhp if it had it?
Old 12 January 2005, 10:47 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scg
I'm looking at 02 / 52 Plates. All the Sti Prodrives I've seen on Autotrader state 265bhp?

I've looked at a Sti Prodrive in a main subaru dealer which he told me had Prodrive and 265bhp, I've stuck the reg into Direct Line and it comes up as Sti Prodrive, I would have thought the dealer would have shown off about the 300 bhp if it had it?
Yes prodrive often means bodykit on bugeyes
PPP means prodrive performance pack and that means ~300ps on STi's
Old 12 January 2005, 10:50 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

yep 02 /52 would be a bug eye. and the model with the prodrive "style" option as well as PPP, allthough i thought later (my02 bugeyes) they dropped the style nonsense but could be wrong.

that car is basically a sti with the wing and skirts and without PPP. look for a car with both prodrive Style and PPP unless insurance is a problem. with how that model was hit with depreciation finding one with both at a good price should be pretty easy and trust me somewhere down the line you will want ppp, and as a afterthought it will cost you 2k.

if you are looking at 52 plates look at the private market as they should still be under original warranty.
Old 12 January 2005, 10:54 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Wow....

It's all starting to make sense now....I think

Aha so there's a Prodrive styling, and Prodrive performance. Now that makes sense........however.... The one I drove in the dealers only had a small spoiler (52) and the guy said it had Prodrive (as do direct line) so if it's only got the small spoiler and it's 265bhp what's 'Prodrive' about it?

My poor head hurts already, sure it will be worth it when I'm sat behind the wheel of whatever Sti I end up with!!
Old 12 January 2005, 11:00 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

The MY02 STi Type UK came in two guises.

MY02 STi type UK (265PS)or
MY02 STi Type UK Prodrive Style (265PS)

Both were available with the Prodrive Performanc Pack (PPP) which as previously stated on this thread puts the power to 305PS.

The Prodrive Style car has big rear wing, NO fog lights, different front bumper, different side skirts and BLUE dials on the dashboard, and black looking headlights.

The std STI has low spoiler, fog lights, std side skirts, and BLACK dials, and black looking headlights.

I have the MY02 Sti Type UK Prodrive Style with Prodrive Performance Pack.(305PS).

Name:  STi7.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  20.0 KB

Cheers
MTR
Old 12 January 2005, 11:02 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

maybe thats a wrx with prodrive styling ?
Old 12 January 2005, 11:06 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

If it is completely gutless below 4000rpm then takes off like a scalded cat it HAS NOT GOT THE PPP ON IT.

If it takes off smoothly and powerfully from 2500rpm with no distinct 'kick' in the back it probably has PPP.
Plus the exhaust tailpipe should have 'Prodrive' written across the top of it.
And as someone else mentioned, it MUST have the installation certificate, proving it.
Chassis number etc on it.

Cheers
MTR
Old 13 January 2005, 12:14 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scg
Wow....

It's all starting to make sense now....I think

Aha so there's a Prodrive styling, and Prodrive performance.
- A most important point when it comes to insurance! A STi Prodrive is a standard vehicle, whereas a STi with PPP is modified. You wouldn't want to get it wrong.
Old 13 January 2005, 08:29 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jiggerypokery
- A most important point when it comes to insurance! A STi Prodrive is a standard vehicle, whereas a STi with PPP is modified. You wouldn't want to get it wrong.
Well to be honest this is the main issue - insurance. If I wasn't confused enough I've been putting reg's into Direct Line for cars I've seen in dealers / autotrader and some come back at about £1100 and don't ask about trackers where as some come back at around £1450 and require a tracker which I would assume would be the prodrive. Would Direct Line know from the regestration whether it had PPP???? ie does this somehow get registered or will it just be on cars that had PPP put on at delivery. Interestingly there is an option for 'Prodrive' but it has no year of manufacture on which comes out around £1100 too so I guess must just be for the styling?

It's a minefield out there eh? To be honest I really did want the PPP but if it's going to cost an extra £350 insurance per year and tracker subscription on top think I'll have to give it a miss.
Old 13 January 2005, 08:46 AM
Fox
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scg
Well to be honest this is the main issue - insurance. If I wasn't confused enough I've been putting reg's into Direct Line for cars I've seen in dealers / autotrader and some come back at about £1100 and don't ask about trackers where as some come back at around £1450 and require a tracker which I would assume would be the prodrive. Would Direct Line know from the regestration whether it had PPP???? ie does this somehow get registered or will it just be on cars that had PPP put on at delivery. Interestingly there is an option for 'Prodrive' but it has no year of manufacture on which comes out around £1100 too so I guess must just be for the styling?

It's a minefield out there eh? To be honest I really did want the PPP but if it's going to cost an extra £350 insurance per year and tracker subscription on top think I'll have to give it a miss.
Talk to Tesco Insurance. Although they are owned by the same company as Direct Line, they seem to be cheaper across the board. My PPP'd MY01 with lowered suspension and bigger wheels is £560 - but then again my age probably helps - 58.

Cheers
Old 13 January 2005, 10:49 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fox
Talk to Tesco Insurance. Although they are owned by the same company as Direct Line, they seem to be cheaper across the board. My PPP'd MY01 with lowered suspension and bigger wheels is £560 - but then again my age probably helps - 58.

Cheers
Yeh, I've heard positive things about Tesco. Problem is that at present I don't have any no claims. In March I'll have one year, but if I stay with Direct Line they'll give me a bonus year so I'll have 2 years. I've had a look around but given I'll only have 1 years no claims anywhere else it'll work out more expensive than staying put.

still a bit bemused though how some PPP cars I've searched for are recognised as PPP and others aren't.
Old 13 January 2005, 11:00 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

The PPP will not show up on any registration number checks as it is always fitted after registration and is classed as a modification. The "STi Prodrive" is a standard car with some prodrive styling bits added before registration and will therfore be cheaper to insure. A few insurance companies will recognise the Prodrive Performance Pack and add it as a modification with little or no loading. Others will need to be told it has xx% increase in power and a non-standard exhaust system.

The ones to watch for are those who pick up on the word "prodrive" and incorrectly insure your PPP vehicle as a "STi prodrive".

I'm sure it has caught out many people in the past.
Old 13 January 2005, 11:18 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

The 'sti type uk prodrive' is a prodrive styled car that still comes with 265ps as standard. If its had the ppp fitted that brings it up to 300ish
Old 13 January 2005, 12:35 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scg
To be honest I really did want the PPP but if it's going to cost an extra £350 insurance per year and tracker subscription on top think I'll have to give it a miss.
Watch out with this. If the MY02 STI UK doesn't have PPP, it is a bit of a pig to drive slowly or round town.
I got really fed up with it, as mentioned above there is absolutely no power below 3700 rpm and then enormous dollops above. It is really uncomfortable for passengers (so my wife told me anyway).
With PPP it is all sorted and VERY nice!
Old 14 January 2005, 09:03 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=pbee]
trust me somewhere down the line you will want ppp, and as a afterthought it will cost you 2k.QUOTE]

What's the difference in the 0-60 of a 52 Sti Vs Sti ppp. Am I right in thinking it's about 5.2 on the standard Sti and 4.9/5.0 on the Prodrive?
Old 14 January 2005, 12:14 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=scg]
Originally Posted by pbee
trust me somewhere down the line you will want ppp, and as a afterthought it will cost you 2k.QUOTE]

What's the difference in the 0-60 of a 52 Sti Vs Sti ppp. Am I right in thinking it's about 5.2 on the standard Sti and 4.9/5.0 on the Prodrive?
I have the prodrive .pdf in front of me now.
Std STI 5.17
PPP STI 4.62

But that is not the point, and is so far from the point that you wouldn't believe it. Yes the car is capable of that figure without PPP, but you really do have to drive it above 4000rpm ALL the time for performance.
Below that it is a very slow car, slower than the standard NA 2.0 Impreza I had as a loan car when mine was being serviced.
With a PPP it pulls well about 2500rpm.

Pbee is right, eventually you will want the PPP. When I bought mine I had absolutely no intention of buying the PPP, but just could not live with it any more.
Old 14 January 2005, 04:19 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ShyTot
But that is not the point, and is so far from the point that you wouldn't believe it. Yes the car is capable of that figure without PPP, but you really do have to drive it above 4000rpm ALL the time for performance.
Below that it is a very slow car, slower than the standard NA 2.0 Impreza I had as a loan car when mine was being serviced.
With a PPP it pulls well about 2500rpm.

Pbee is right, eventually you will want the PPP. When I bought mine I had absolutely no intention of buying the PPP, but just could not live with it any more.
Ha ha think you've convinced me! Will have a whip round in March to help fund it
Old 14 January 2005, 04:53 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Then of course there is the ProDrive handling pack!!
Old 14 January 2005, 05:14 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

And some 18" PFF7s.....
Old 14 January 2005, 08:50 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Then of course there is the ProDrive handling pack!!
Leave me alone you foul tempters! My budget just keeps getting bigger and bigger Ayear ago I said I'd never spend over £6k on a car.......oops.
Old 14 January 2005, 10:17 PM
Tarmac Missile
Scooby Newbie

Hi all,
I just got a PPP fitted to my STi MY05 after it was run in... cost is 2 grand... goes like a rocket with a massive bang after 4000rpm (Nice roundabout speed sideways!). Tescos are definitely the place to go for insurance. £200 extra for the mods! Well worth fitting but I have noticed it has started to smoke a lot on start up so i think it is back to the dealers. anyone had any similar problems?