Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPG powerd Scoob?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2000, 07:12 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just looked at the latest issue of Banzi and they have a Power Engineering feature, where D Power mentions that P.E. are looking at Liquid Petroleom Gas for an alternative fuel choice for Scoob's.

It would be interesting to see what change this would have to power and reliability! because if you did a lot of motorway miles then the saving on fuel cost's would be fairly high as i think that LPG cost's about 44p a litre compared to 87.9p for Sul.
I supose with the advent of run flat tyes you could ditch the spare and put a small tank in its place so as not to take up to much room and also another plus side is that you can recoup a lot of the conversion cost in way of a grant from the Enviroment Angency.

So do any of you guys know what sort of mpg you could expect from LPG and is LPG compatible with Turbo's?
(I am waiting for the Laughter to comence )
Old 16 August 2000, 07:21 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

I was thinking about this, but no-one did a conversion. I wonder if I'd a get a discount/trade in for my Phase 1?
Old 17 August 2000, 07:48 AM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ian
the idea is not as daft as it sounds in practise as I ran an LPG car in Oz for ages and they're great. No obvious loss in power and of course the cheapness; I think the govt have promised to keep the price constant for the next 3 years as well, at 30 something pence per unit. You'd be surprised at how many filling stations sell it and best of all it is one of the least polluting of fuels available now.
I dont know how it would be on a Turbo however, I'll leave that to the experts.
I dont know where you got your info about grants from, its definitely not the Environment Agency that does that, (I know, I work for them!), but there are grants of a large %age to convert to a full or split system, try contacting companies that do the conversion they will have all the details.
Cheers
Iain.
Old 17 August 2000, 08:54 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I think an FTO owner has converted his, a colleague of mine with an FTO is seriously considering it...
Interesting to hear what the figures will be.
Old 17 August 2000, 09:46 AM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A friend of mine runs an LPG conversion company. They are mainly doing Land Rovers (because they have worse fuel economy than a Scoob!!!) and he has also done his own Land Rover and Carlton which they use as demo cars.

If anyone was really interested then they can phone up for a chat with him and discuss whether it is possible to convert turbos.

Contact Richard Glover, Blaze LPG Conversions, Hanger M1, Kemble Airfield, Cirencester

Phone 01285 770909
E-mail blaze@mosferic.demon.co.uk

I have no connection with this company apart from the fact that I know the owner.

Cheers

Sean

PS You might even get a spin round the airfield as a test drive ;-)

[This message has been edited by SeanG (edited 17 August 2000).]

[This message has been edited by SeanG (edited 17 August 2000).]
Old 17 August 2000, 10:41 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I guess the pickup on these conversions is determined by the pickup on the filling stations selling the LPG which is dependent on the pickup of the conversions. D'oh!

Don't know the techy side of how these work with turbos, etc, but here's a list of stations selling the stuff
Old 17 August 2000, 10:47 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I have recently been investigating LPG conversion for my own 23 mpg 4 litre Jaguar. Following is relevant. Big advantage is fuel at 39 pence per litre BUT only around 500 LPG outlets in UK at present. There is a county list on net somewhere. Also expect slight loss of power and economy down a bit. Public still wary of LPG so conversion does not improve residual values - especially for cars bought for performance. Fuel price is fixed for a while but would you trust Uncle Gordon if LPG catches on? You can get a grant but this is only for cars less than 12 months old (I think) on an approved list. Cost for my Jag would be around £1300 + VAT. 3 days work (more time required for turbos). Extra tank either cylindrical or do-nut fitted in spare wheel space.
Info pack available from Autogas LPG Conversions on 01948 663478.
IMHO only worth it if you do high mileage and intend to keep the vehicle for some time. Also check out Warranty implications etc. DL.