Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCOOP!!! - Powerstation Give Stef a New Car!!

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2000, 10:35 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, they haven't blown my old one up!
What they have done though is nothing short of remarkable.
As most of you know, I prefer to do minor mods one at a time, enabling me to assess the full benefits of the work carried out.
My first mod was to fit a Scorpion exhaust and K&N induction kit, massively transforming the audio soundtrack and atmosphere of the car in the process.
Sounds sorted.
Then came the Scoobymania/AP brake conversion, which provides stopping power of now legendary proportions.
Stopping sorted.
My last mod was to fit Eibach springs, as I wanted to firm the handling up a little. There has been some debate whether or not this mod was suitable by itself, or whether changing the dampers was also necessary. I didn't think so, and found that the springs alone transformed the way my car handled.
Handling sorted.....or so I thought.
This afternoon I took 'CK 1' to POWERSTATION in Cheltenham to get the much-talked-about bump steer modification and geometry adjustment, as I had heard several good stories about what a difference it makes to the handling. After the work had been done, I drove back to Northampton along some lovely windy b-roads including a little favourite of mine, the B4525 between Banbury and the A43.
I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH OF AN IMMEDIATE IMPACT THIS MOD HAS MADE TO MY CAR'S HANDLING, IT IS TRULY AWESOME.
I do not make this statement lightly, but I like to give credit where it's due. I am stunned by the difference to the turn-in and general feel of the steering, it is sensational.
It will take a little while to get used to this new-found guided-missile accuracy, but I'm at Donno on Friday so I've got tomorrow to practice!
As always, the guys at PS were true professionals, they really know their stuff.
If any of you have been considering this mod, GET IT DONE NOW! You will not regret it, I guarantee.
One benefit I'm looking forward to testing is the stabilty under braking it should provide, as my front wheels will no longer be trying to 'splay' when the AP anchors are applied. I can't wait!
The total cost for the complete geometry and bump steer adjustment is just £100, and it's £100 very well spent.
I just wish I'd had it done sooner! (shut it SDB! ).

Stef.
Old 09 August 2000, 10:40 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

hehe!!

its about time you muppet!!

Careful though, the car will effectively be LESS stable under braking now, as the bump steer was put there PURELY to produce stability under braking. Of course stability is not what you need when you want to change direction quickly which is why the handling feels so much better.

They are gods, no question. I am sure I will never take my car anywhere else for set-up work.

Glad you like it

Simon

PS... I've just re-read my post and would like to clarify...

Because the bump-steer set-up reduces the amount of front toe-out under braking, the car will actually be MORE stable (as you said - sorry) under straight line braking. What I meant by my comments was that, due to the additional fact that the front has FAR more grip and command over the direction of the car, playing silly sods (like wanging the steering about under heavy braking), or using heavy trail braking will have more of an effect. I perhaps worded this wrongly though, as this does not mean it is unstable (in fact in some ways, quite the reverse).

Certainly on the motorway or a bumpy B road, the car will be far more stable under braking in a straight line. Sorry for any confusion my post may have caused.

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 10 August 2000).]
Old 10 August 2000, 12:00 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Oh , bollix

An even more sorted scoob to chase now, bugger. I must get my suspension set up one day, too much time fixing melted components at the moment though!!
Old 10 August 2000, 04:13 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Glad to see you're catching up with the crowd again.

So Stef, what settings were you running before? Was it the ubiquitous "Prodrive" settings?

Moray
Old 10 August 2000, 04:59 PM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guys,

I can only support what Stef says about Powerstation. I had my geometry and bump steer sorted today! However, my car was completely all over the place and the guys had to do some alterations to my suspension before sorting the geometry.

Never the less, the transformation seems to be quite effective, even though I haven't had it on much in the way of a twisty road yet! And the price I hear you ask. Slightly more than Stefs £100, but considering the time taken to get the suspension properly sorted its a bargain! And certainly well worth the additional cost of a 220 mile round trip in my opinion!

Kevin

Old 10 August 2000, 05:57 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I have revised my post above, as I just re-read it and realised it was misleading.
Old 10 August 2000, 08:22 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Moray.
My settings were actually all over the place, so I guess any decent adjustments would have made an improvement!
That said, the rear settings haven't been changed at all really.
It's the bump steer that has caused the most dramatic effect, as it has gone from a combined 49 minutes to just 2!!!!!
No, I didn't understand it either.

Kevin.
I should have mentioned it was plus Vat!

Simon.
You logger! You had me worried for a minute. I was convinced that if the wheels weren't gonna splay out under straight line braking the car would be more stable.
I don't know, you techies.....

Stef.
Old 10 August 2000, 08:24 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

So do powerstation have a webby then ?

(wheres a links section when you need one ?)

Old 10 August 2000, 09:33 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Stef is this not the best £100 you have spent on your car ? really takes iup the slack doesn't it ?

ptholt look at
Old 10 August 2000, 11:51 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

I've just recently got the Prodrive geo settings on my car and the difference is quite remarkable. Much, much better handling. Done at Mill Lane in Basingstoke for £40 something.

Will removing bump steer make my car even better?

How is it done? Will it effect the warranty on suspension, etc.?

How sustainable is it? Will it not go back to the "all over the place" state after a few bumps on the road???
Old 11 August 2000, 08:13 AM
ALANB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Subrussian,
I had my car set to prodrive settings but the difference after getting the bump-steer done is night and day. They physically move the steering rack downwards, it's not just a tweak.
I didn't have a warranty to looks after so I can't shed any light there.
The only problem I have with it is that the handling is so rock-solid that, outside a race track, I'm unlikely to safely get anywhere near the limits which can be frustrating.
Recommmended without reservation.
Old 11 August 2000, 11:34 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Stef

Which Eibach springs did you fit - how much did they cost

Did they lower the car much - just want the front lowering a bit to make it level with the rear on an sti5
Old 11 August 2000, 01:21 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Stef,

Re "No, I didn't understand it either." : Sorry mate, I do understand that technobabble, so you are on your own there!

Steve,

PowerStation sourced and fitted eibach's to my car several months ago... the springs settle over a month or so and you end up with a slightly lower car at both ends... the eibachs are more about tightening up the handling than "slamming" the car. Well worth the relatively minimal expense.

Do bear in mind that you will be more of a fire risk if you move your flaming tailpipe closer to the deck!

Moray

Old 11 August 2000, 06:56 PM
GRANT
Scooby Regular

Cool

Stef,
I hope that it is as goods as you say it is have my car booked in for the 23rd Sept.

Just in time for Brands.

Grant

[This message has been edited by GRANT (edited 11 August 2000).]
Old 12 August 2000, 10:59 AM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

Steve McCulloch,

Assuming Stef has the same Eibach sport spring kit as I do - they lowere the car by 30mm.

Stef, my total cost was £140+ (£100 + VAT and £25 + VAT for the inital jiggerypokery they had to do before alignment!)

Kev
Old 12 August 2000, 07:26 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Steve.
I believe there is only one Eibach kit for UK Imprezas, not sure if it's the same for STi's. Cost me £130 + fiting. This mod alone transformed the car, but combined with the bump-steer mod....
Not sure whether it would be wise just fitting them on the front though, you'll have to ask a techie!

Grant.
I defy anyone who loves driving to have this mod and not like it!
It also apparently also allows better control of the rear of the car, especially lift-off oversteer. I will be attending the REVS top speed shoot-out at Alconbury on Tuesday, and there's a lovely long sweeping bend there that they use for testing just that....

Stef.
Old 15 August 2000, 12:03 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Ian/Simon

Thanks

Ian I have a WRX warranty smarranty.

Do you know if the geom on the bump steer set up is likely to provide more tyre wear ala Prodrive?

Cheers SJD

Simon, What did you do about the finance for your car??
Old 15 August 2000, 12:12 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Scott,

I believe the Powerstation setup is supposed to provide even tyre wear across the tread.

I guess the easiest way would be to ask those who have had it done to comment, guys ??

Cheers

Ian
Old 15 August 2000, 09:59 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

This may seem a stupid question for some but does the Bump steer affect the Prodrive Geom?
Old 15 August 2000, 10:19 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

I do wish that you blokes would stop talking about this Powerstation. I want to get it done but it sounds like it would be the end of my Warranty if the steering rack is moved

Brendan
Old 15 August 2000, 11:24 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

yes, prodrive geometry is subjected to bump steer, the same as any other geometry setting.

Bump steer is a seperate issue which causes the fronts to splay out (toe out) under suspension compression like under braking.

Prodrive geometry seeks to partially counteract the understeer this produces by starting off with Toe-IN. Therefore the splaying out effect forces the wheels to be closer to zero toe...

The problem is that it is hit and miss, and still doesn't sort out the difference in toe between the left and right wheels under cornering loads.

Cheers

Simon
Old 15 August 2000, 11:24 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Scott,

The Powerstation setup not only dials out bump steer but is also a different geometry setting from the Prodrive ones.

Brenden,

All depends how much you want the warranty. If you want to modify *any* car you risk loosing the warranty. You decide

Of course, my experience of most main dealers (not including Subaru dealers), would suggest that they wouldn't even notice if you did have the work done.

Cheers

Ian
Old 15 August 2000, 12:10 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

OK, after driving at Donno with this mod on Friday, I can honestly say that the car has never been so much fun!!!
Under heavy braking it didn't squirm and inch, it was unreal. I felt so much more in control I can't really explain it.
It was also easier to get the rear end out on road tyres too....whether that's a good or bad thing depends on how you like to drive I guess. I certainly don't do it on the road but on track...WOW!
Just another thumbs up to PS really.

Stef.
Old 15 August 2000, 01:45 PM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

I would like to maintain my warranty and am concerned about the modification placing more strain on associated parts and therefore making a claim more likely. I am very close to having it done, presumably only the warranty of associated parts would by affected anyway and everything else still be covered. I am tempted to phone my dealer but concerned that if I alert them then all dealers may start checking to see if this mod has been done.

If only Powerstation could get approval from Subaru UK I am sure that we would all be queing up.

Brendan
Old 16 August 2000, 10:45 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Right, now that I've had the chance to drive the car a bit more I can also offer the following observation;
When driving on motorways or other long straight roads the steering is a lot more sensitive than before. Whereas I could normally move the steering wheel a bit without causing the car to move hardly at all, it now moves instantly. Whether it's the bump-steer mod or extra negative camber I can't say, but it responds directly to every movement of the wheel, however slight.
It doesn't bother me in the slightest and I drive hundreds of m-way miles a week, but I thought I would let you know.
Drove home tonight on the B645 for the first time since the mod though.....

Stef.
Old 17 August 2000, 12:23 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Subarussian:
<B>
Will it effect the warranty on suspension, etc.?

How sustainable is it? Will it not go back to the "all over the place" state after a few bumps on the road???[/quote]

So I take it the answer to the first question is yes. Will it be pretty obvious for the dealer to see that it has been done?

What about the sustainability?