Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What Can We Do About it !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2005, 11:51 AM
Doink
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Car Crime What Can We Do About it !!!!!!!

First off let me say that i didnt really know where to put this post so I appoligise if it should be in Non subaru related section.

The point I would like to make is that there is definately more car related crime now than I can ever remember. Where I live now with my girlfriend and son is an especially bad area and people actively choose the car they drive on a "less nickable the better" basis. There are currently at least two threads in the general section about thefts or attempted thefts of our cars, plus many more over the last few months.

I am sure that this is not just confined to our particular car of choice and have read many threads on many other boards along the same basis and noticed that it is not even just pricey/high performance cars that are at risk, Fiestas, novas etc ect...have provided a Convenient ride home from a night out on many occassions.

The question I am comming to is what can we do if anything, to reduce the epidemic that is sweeping the nation.

I dont propose vigilante groups pratrolling the streets but there must be something we can do!!

Isnt There????

Steve

Last edited by Doink; 06 January 2005 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06 January 2005, 12:05 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Did we have this problem with a conservative goverment ?
Old 06 January 2005, 12:06 PM
555wrx
Scooby Regular

I would put my money on vigalante groups rather than the police or government sorting the problem.
Its a very sad state of affairs.
Old 06 January 2005, 12:08 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ethanrob
I think you'll find car crime under the tories was far far worse. Although the methods are more extreme these days (house burglaries for keys, car-jacking etc.) the actual overall car crime figure is now very low in comparison to 10-15 years ago.
Old 06 January 2005, 12:12 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Angry

I Think it's all down to the law, ie not hard enough punishments for car crime etc so the kids run round taking anything they want as they will only get a slap on the wrist. it really makes me laugh when the goverment tell you to lock your doors, don't leave anything on veiw, get an alarm etc............................................... ...NO JUST BANG EM UP FOR A LONG TIME!!

Why is it that we should bend over for the criminal?? yes we can reduce the risk of being a victim of crime but why the hell should we? after all we are just trying to enjoy our lives when these lowlifes try and take our stuff, it comes back to us ie oh well you should of put your bag in the boot etc AAAAAARRRRG!!! Why should we??

Rant off!!

Ads

Last edited by specialx; 06 January 2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06 January 2005, 12:19 PM
Doink
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specialx
it comes back to us ie oh well you should of put your bag in the boot etc AAAAAARRRRG!!! Why should we??

Rant off!!

Ads
Thats exactly my opinion. Why should we live our lives struggling to protect the things we own and have worked hard for when the scum taking them gets a £25 fine that they pay back 10p a week because they are on benifits.

Steve
Old 06 January 2005, 12:23 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
I think you'll find car crime under the tories was far far worse. Although the methods are more extreme these days (house burglaries for keys, car-jacking etc.) the actual overall car crime figure is now very low in comparison to 10-15 years ago.
I thinks thats got something to do with cars be harder to nick,not labour reducing crime,thats why they are after the keys dude!

Ten years ago,if you phoned the police to report a crime,they came and pretty sharpish!

Now a-days you phone the police,they either take for-ever or dont come at all
Old 06 January 2005, 12:28 PM
555wrx
Scooby Regular

Ten years ago,if you phoned the police to report a crime,they came and pretty sharpish!
Ten years ago you would stand more chance of being banged up for knicking a car........now you just get a slap on the wrist and a fine less than the cost of the excess on the insurance of the car that you just robbed.
The courts and the government are to blame because of their laughable stance on crime and the culprits.
Old 06 January 2005, 12:40 PM
555wrx
Scooby Regular

Situation 1.
A fully taxed, insured, moted, unstolen car goes through a speed camera, traveling at slightly above the legal speed limit.

Situation 2.
A scumbag drug addict breaks and enters into someones house, steals a set of car keys, drives of the the now stolen vehicle, breaks nearly every motoring law there is and then gets stopped, after a lengthy police chase and arrested.

The ' offender' of Situation 1 stands to pay a fine, have points on his/her license, possible driving ban and then faces a hike in insurance costs due to points on license.

The ' offender' of situation 2 stands to have a ban on a license that they dont even have, along with points for the license that they will never hold, possible community service as they are to young to be imprisoned, or the court will want to keep them out of jail, and they will get some bullsh#t fine that they will never finish paying.

Who gets the sh*tty deal, the criminal or the law abider?

Now figure why crime is rife in this country?
Old 06 January 2005, 12:52 PM
Doink
Scooby Regular

It seems so far that most people are agreed that the soft stance on crime is to blame.

So what can we do about it, Letter to mp's, Patition (sp) marches etc etc..

anyone have a clue on how to turn it around before its to late??

Steve
Old 06 January 2005, 12:57 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

nice one 555wrx - brilliantly put
Old 06 January 2005, 12:58 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Doink
It seems so far that most people are agreed that the soft stance on crime is to blame.

So what can we do about it, Letter to mp's, Patition (sp) marches etc etc..

anyone have a clue on how to turn it around before its to late??

Steve
could always vote em out of office in a few months.....
Old 06 January 2005, 01:25 PM
Doink
Scooby Regular

I'm the first to say that I am not the most pollitically aware person around, Is a group of pissed off motorists and car enthuisasts enough to get them out???

Steve
Old 06 January 2005, 03:09 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

only about 12million people voted for them last election....
Old 06 January 2005, 03:33 PM
s16cut
Scooby Regular

well we have to face facts and the blame is with the goverment, over politicly correct,fudged figures spin spin spin pulling the wool over our eyes...as with all areas of socerty the reality on the ground is very different. imoa
Old 06 January 2005, 03:44 PM
Doink
Scooby Regular

Ok elections every four years (what could it be like in 2009 then!) but barring that happening what can we do besides sitting here twidling our thumbs discussing it between ourselves.

Our only hope cant be the conservatives getting back in power. Someone within this vast community must have the knowledge and creativity to suggest another option.

To get the people that can change things to realise how bad the situation is actually getting on the streets, Let them know that we have had enough of the soft stance that allows theiving scum to walk the streets freely.

Anyone ??
Old 06 January 2005, 03:49 PM
Doink
Scooby Regular

I have just had a thought but I dont have the knowledge to get it up and running.

How about an internet based patition that can be advertised on all the car forums around the uk, Sent to people like TopGear, WatchDog, FifthGear car magazines like Evo, MaxPower etc etc.....

That should get some publicity, I would imagine the ammount of people too sign it would be considerable.

What do you think??

Steve
Old 06 January 2005, 04:05 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Just an instance of politics following the people's wishes - in one of the states in Canada, one of the manifesto promises was to remove all speed camera's if the party got voted in, amazingly they did get voted in, even more amazing was that all cameras were then removed. Unfortunately, British Political Parties don't seem to realise that the motoring public represent a large proportion of the voting public, and that some commitments to us might gain more than just a few extra votes.

Craig
Old 06 January 2005, 04:22 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555wrx
Situation 2.
A scumbag drug addict breaks and enters into someones house, steals a set of car keys, drives of the the now stolen vehicle, breaks nearly every motoring law there is and then gets stopped, after a lengthy police chase and arrested.
And you forgot to add that the registered keeper will get 3,197 NIP's for the scumbag racing through camera's in the car he nicked.
Old 06 January 2005, 04:23 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I thinks thats got something to do with cars be harder to nick,not labour reducing crime,thats why they are after the keys dude!

Ten years ago Cat 1 immobilisers were pretty rare. THAT is why the scumbags are after the keys, nowt to do with the government!
Old 06 January 2005, 04:31 PM
Olly Powers
Scooby Regular

How about blocking the m25 with cars?
Old 06 January 2005, 04:59 PM
Doink
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Olly Powers
How about blocking the m25 with cars?
Bit extreme but im not judging, Definately get noticed but might end up breaking the law along the way.

I can see the headlines now:

Protesters against crime get arrested

Steve
Old 06 January 2005, 05:25 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=specialx]
Why is it that we should bend over for the criminal??
What ever turns you on mate!
Old 06 January 2005, 06:30 PM
blockmonke@fsmail.net
Scooby Regular

how about we form a vigalante scoobynet posse roaming the streets searching for twocer scum then proceeding to beat the little sh*ts dead
Old 06 January 2005, 06:36 PM
XS-Home
Scooby Regular

The issue as I read it, was that the Police (government etc) do not operate a zero tolerance. If they did the UK might be a better place.

A crude quick point is, steal in Saudi - get caught & the hand gets chopped, I doubt anyone would risk doing this again.

All people make choices & if those choices are against the law then the penalty should be paid.......
Old 06 January 2005, 06:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

Welll...........what do you want? You get a crime number don't you? You are insured aren't you?

Stop whining!

Alcazar

PS: I HATE FEKKIN' LYING LABOUR!!!
Old 06 January 2005, 07:28 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Mymate in the summer had his scooby nicked and ended up with a broken Arm and with had to fit a steel plate in it

They caught the Scum, he pleaded guilty but he didn't get a 2 week Safari Holiday he got 5 years in jail what a result

Obviously Solisitors and Social Workers think the Judge was Totally insane and are trying to get him shoot They believe it's all our fault :Ponder: hardworking people, saving up and buying Flash cars has Stressed him out and turned an unemployed Saint into a Criminal.

Tony
Old 06 January 2005, 07:45 PM
captain ted
Scooby Regular

Beats me how a sh#t without a licence can get a ban and points.
This to people who TWOC is meaningless.
Every time they get caught, take everything off them and sell their possessions and pass the proceedings onto the victim.
Old 06 January 2005, 08:50 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by captain ted
Beats me how a sh#t without a licence can get a ban and points.
This to people who TWOC is meaningless.
Every time they get caught, take everything off them and sell their possessions and pass the proceedings onto the victim.
Easy, do like they do in the USA, 3 strikes and you go to prison for a long time
Old 06 January 2005, 08:59 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

No we just had Capri Ghia's which were probably not the choice motor to go to the hassle of nicking

Face it, we live in a s**t country in s**t times. Go to Australia, no worries there mate