ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2005, 09:37 AM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downpipe

Hi there can anyone help ive had my 01 wrx bugeye for about 6month now and im wanting a few more bhp's out of it.I hear alot of people going on about changing the down pipe.Does this really give the car about another 20bhp.
i have a stainless steel jap box on at the moment but like i say im wanting some extra power,also is it easy to fit the downpipe and do you simply just bolt it on and away you go are do you have to adjust the ecu (Yes i don't no a great deal about moding impreza as you can guess) and is the up pipe just as effective
And last but not least can anyone reckomend what make of pipe i should go for sorry for all the question many thanx steve
Old 05 January 2005, 10:16 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

The downpipe is definitely worth changing. The up-pipe is secondary as it is a right pain to do. You will also need a CEL fix to stop the check engine light coming on after removing the cat in the downpipe.

It's a fairly straight forward job, but very awkward especially if you get a seized nut. Always use a new gasket as well as you do not want to have to go back and fix a leak. The turbo heat shield will also need trimming to suit the larger neck on the pipe.

I'd go for a H&S open neck downpipe, but others may recommend a twin dump style.

Steve
Old 05 January 2005, 01:49 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

I've just ordered a magnex up and down pipe for my UK300. Will hopefully be able to fit it at the weekend.
I suggest also changing the up pipe. The up pipe is pre turbo and is a disaster waiting to happen. Any problems and the cat breaks up in the up pipe, all the debris goes straight into the turbo. I've heard this happening a few times.

If you do replace all the cats, you would most likely have to refit either the centre or down pipe come MOT time. I think the downppe would be easier.

Let the flaming begin...................
Old 05 January 2005, 02:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You definately need a re-map of your ECU if you remove the cat in the downpipe because you will get large boost spikes.
Old 05 January 2005, 02:24 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Surely the best option would be to remove all cats and replace the centre section witha high flowing sports cat; then get a re-map. Youll see all of the benefit; your car will stay legal and itll always pass an MOT. With regards to the (modest) extra cost: we'll talk about that just after your next MOTs due.....

Simon
Old 05 January 2005, 02:40 PM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

when you fit the downpipe is it essential to have the ecu remapped if so do they just reset it and where can i get it done im from the northeast area
Old 05 January 2005, 05:19 PM
stevenuk300 still
Scooby Regular

I've done alot of research on this before I ordered my Up and Down pipe, and it is the STI's that are prone to boost spiking.
Of course it is best to have a remap like Tek 3, but isn't essential. Apparently after the first 100 miles, the ECU adjusts anyway.

If in any doubt, wait until I have fitted mine and I'll let you know about my experiances. I won't be going for a re map straight away as a TEK 3 is around £800
Old 05 January 2005, 05:22 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Probably the best route for you would be an ECU-TEK re-map. It isnt a re-set, no. Newer ECUs dont require a re-set like the older ones did; an ECU-TEK re-map will alter you boost, fueling and ignition settings to suit your new exhaust. Id suggest that you speak to one of the firms who offer this service and see what they recommend.

Simon
Old 05 January 2005, 07:01 PM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

cheers for all you help guys
Old 07 January 2005, 07:24 PM
topoff
Scooby Regular

I brought a MY01 WRX last march and that had already had a full decat (up and down) with a tek2 .....pushing out 277 bhp
Old 07 January 2005, 11:41 PM
The Welshman
Scooby Regular

Fitted a Janspeed 3"downpipe to my 2001 bugeye wagon a few weeks ago...and a Hiper 3" right through.with no cats... The difference is considerable... far better acceleration, much smoother running, and far better fuel economy as well...
and the sound is fantastic... No problems with mine without a remap... it took probably a tank or two to learn the new parameters, and now runs like a dream... ScoobyClinic did the work and advised me that it would be ok without the remap, until I wanted to get it done...and they were right, as usual!!
Old 08 January 2005, 01:52 AM
burtysbugeye
Scooby Regular

thanks for that advice welshman
Old 08 January 2005, 08:50 AM
preacha
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Go for it

1st - replace up and down pipe at same time, dont do one without the other. You'll get more power, quicker spool up and better throttle response. (H&S sports cat d/pipe is excellent but £, talk to Xtreme Scoobies )

2nd - downpipe back replacement mid pipes x2 and back box. Will gain much more noise and a little power too - especially at the top end.

3rd - green cotton filter and ecutek re map = 280+ mucho fasta and a much better "drive".

Anyhow thats what I did and I wouldn't waste money going any further. How about springs (a must) and brakes

These are underated cars which will fly when gently fettled.

Have fun, remember cheap is not always the best.
Old 08 January 2005, 02:58 PM
4stringMike
Scooby Regular

Default Insurance??

This is something I still cant make my mind up on as to whether to go for the PPP, or go down the decat/remap route on my MY01.

Obviously the latter has the better bang for the buck, but insurance companies only just recognise PPP (and naturally shaft you for it), but how the hell do you explain that you have a decat uppipe and downpipe and a sports cat centre section plus an ecu remap????

Or, do you, ahem, "forget to tell them"?