Sponsored by:

WRX or Sti?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2005, 07:44 PM
MR CTR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile WRX or Sti?

Howdy chaps, I've just registered as I'm on a bit of a quest to find out some details about some scoobies I'm looking at. I currently own a Type R but the combination of a ride that's so firm it ruins the handling and the lack of mod-ability is making me consider a change. I also miss the turbo kick of my Nissan 200 (230-250 BHP).

Anyway, I've anywhere up to 18k to spend on my car (honda as PX included) but I'm currently stuck between getting either a bug eyed STi or a new shape WRX. The limiting factor is the fact I dont want one with much over 10,000 on the clock as i always go for performance car in this bracket. Now I've seen a few bug 02 STis around that fit the bill but I kinda prefer the new shapes looks (bigger bonnet vent, interior etc). So what would you go for? I know I can PPP a newer WRX and retro fit a big bonnet scoop but are the STis differances so noticable on the road?

I guess the real question is that if you buy a WRX do you spend your ownership experience wishing you'd gone for the STi (albeit the previous bug eye). Personally I don't mind the looks of the bug especially as I think the prices are lower relatively for this shape?

Any ideas or comments thankfully recieved, cheers chaps
Old 02 January 2005, 07:47 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MR CTR
Howdy chaps, I've just registered as I'm on a bit of a quest to find out some details about some scoobies I'm looking at. I currently own a Type R but the combination of a ride that's so firm it ruins the handling and the lack of mod-ability is making me consider a change. I also miss the turbo kick of my Nissan 200 (230-250 BHP).

Anyway, I've anywhere up to 18k to spend on my car (honda as PX included) but I'm currently stuck between getting either a bug eyed STi or a new shape WRX. The limiting factor is the fact I dont want one with much over 10,000 on the clock as i always go for performance car in this bracket. Now I've seen a few bug 02 STis around that fit the bill but I kinda prefer the new shapes looks (bigger bonnet vent, interior etc). So what would you go for? I know I can PPP a newer WRX and retro fit a big bonnet scoop but are the STis differances so noticable on the road?

I guess the real question is that if you buy a WRX do you spend your ownership experience wishing you'd gone for the STi (albeit the previous bug eye). Personally I don't mind the looks of the bug especially as I think the prices are lower relatively for this shape?

one comment buy my rare classic Sti wagon version 5 in metallic black. thebest there is out there

on a serious note, i personally would prefer a Blob eye Sti
Old 02 January 2005, 07:54 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

If you can put up with the Bugeye looks then for the money and mileage you're talking about then this is the one to go for. I have an MY02 STi PPP. Don't get a non-PPPd one, they're undrivable everyday due to no power below 4000 revs. The STi is completely different from the standard WRX. The main difference is the Brembo brakes which supposedly are far superior to the WRX brakes. The STi also has a front LSD which helps reduce understeer. Performance-wise a STi PPP has 300 bhp whereas WRX PPP has only 260 ish.

Most would say get the STi but I suppose it largely depends on whats available with less than 10000 miles.

D.
Old 02 January 2005, 08:07 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Based on your original comments about the CTR being to firm I think you'll find the Sti just as hard..!

For the money (and everyday use) you could get a new UK spec EU 05 wrx import for just over £16k leaving you the money to PPP it. Many people recommend this as the best all round package for you main car..!

And before anyone gets on there high horse about PPP not being available for EU imports, I know several people who have had them done. I've already made enquires and mine is to be done soon.

I can put you in touch with someone who's just bought an UK spec EU car from a main Subaru dealer for £17k..!

Jason
Old 02 January 2005, 08:14 PM
Pogue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MR CTR

Hold on, you can get a used 03 STi Type UK for 18k
Old 02 January 2005, 08:21 PM
Aroe
Scooby Regular

I used to have a Civic Type-R and have just bought a new blobeye STI a couple of months since, i love the car in a completely different class to the Civic, its quiet and comfortable almost effortless driving most the time due to the torque on offer... then a bit of gas and you've got yourself a beast (i dont have the PPP on YET either)
I dont know about a WRX as i never tried one, saying that i never test drove the STI either

BTW with 18k to spend i know you can get hold of a 53/04 plate STI blobeye im sure with a bit of hard work you can source a low milage one. When i was looking i found a 04 plate with 4k on the clock at a main dealer for 19k and that was 2 months since. Saying that my STI only cost me £22k bran new as it was one of the last 04 spec cars not a 05.
Old 02 January 2005, 08:26 PM
sherlock
Scooby Regular

How about this one?

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=381509

But i would deffo go for an STi

Sherlock

Trending Topics

Old 02 January 2005, 08:34 PM
chrislewis
Scooby Regular

Hi mate ive had both and would defo go for sti go for new age there are somr very good ones about.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=391328

TRY THIS ONE

all the best

chris
Old 02 January 2005, 09:23 PM
MR CTR
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for those two cars, the first one with 30k is pretty much exactly what I'm after. Must admit it gave me a bit of a twinge :-) but the mileage (no matter how well its been looked after) puts me off. The second car (cheers chris) looks good too, again 17k is more than I wanted but it certainly fits my criteria. Only problem would be selling my car privately.

The other option I'm going to investigate is looking into one of my companies other franchises. I work at a Ford dealership (car salesman) and I understand we have a Scooby dealer somewhere. Hopefully some discounts (maybe a new one) could be in order. Hmmm. Love these cars, had a few passenger rides, just need to test drive them both and make up my mind. Hardest part will be deciding if i have the PPP or not. Do they really suffer drivability wise if not boosted?
Old 02 January 2005, 09:36 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Trust me, if you get a WRX, you WILL regret not getting an STi. I have an 03 WRX PPP and when I drive any of my mates STi's I am so disappointed when back behind the wheel of my own. PPP is a MUST to make either a WRX or STi what it should be before EU nannying interferes, providing the warranty is valued. If warranty isn't an issue there are better/cheaper options.

You should be able to find an 03 STi for 18k, maybe even with PPP already fitted. And many people have them as weekend/fun cars, so there are some low milers out there. As for the ride, either the Prodrive or Eibach springs will not only firm up cornering abilities, but actually improve straight line comfort. Combined with a good geo set-up and some improved drop-links. Only other necessary mod is some better pads in the Brembo's, EBC Red Ceramic (E388) normally fit the bill.
Old 02 January 2005, 11:40 PM
Fimo
Scooby Regular

Depends on how hard you like the ride - don't mind then go for STI with PPP, 'softer' ride go for WRX with PPP
Old 03 January 2005, 01:30 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

I feel I must add Fimo said 'Softer' not 'Soft'...

I would definately go for an STi - check your insurance though, as they are a group higher (19/20).

Wish I'd got a 2nd hand STI and not a new WRX
Old 03 January 2005, 09:39 AM
Jonesy
Scooby Regular

Go for the STi. I went from a scoob to a CTR then back to an PPP STi. If anything the ride is softer than the CTR although people on here say the ride is a lot firmer in an STi compared to a std WRX. Coming from a CTR I thought the ride quality was a major improvement.

Insurance wise, I pay another £400 so check first.

Last edited by Jonesy; 03 January 2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03 January 2005, 10:51 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=corradoboy]Trust me, if you get a WRX, you WILL regret not getting an STi. QUOTE]

Despite what many say, I would disagree with this comment - many people have WRX and are more than happy with them. I could have afforded the STi, but went for the WRX (now with PPP) for three very good reasons:

1 - The ride of my MY05 WRX is better than the ride of the MY04 STi I test drove given I have a young daughter

2 - The WRX has leather, which I wanted, and seat heaters, which I didn;t but I like at the moment

3 - The STi does not come in 5-door which helps big time when you have a kid.

That's why I sold my pride and joy Porsche 993 as I needed the space. I certainly don't regret buying a WRX and would not have bought the Sti.

Each to their own....
Andy
Old 03 January 2005, 11:38 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Just to add to the confusion

I have an 03 STi with the PPP and prodrive springs,while a good friend of mine has a bog std 04 WRX.

I find in real world driving conditions,apart from mine being a bit more 'hectic'
that there is no massive difference in performance..

...ie,I will never leave him trailling in my dust at any timein fact I am convinced that his car is a far nicer and relaxed drive.

nicer clutch,nicer seats,a lot more comfortable and the 5 speed box seems an absolute dream compared to my oddly spaced,notchy 6 speed affair.

Sorry,Jon
Old 03 January 2005, 11:50 AM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Unless your choice is down to cosmetics

and as a matter of interest the std WRX,save TSL group N zorst and centre de-cat,made over 250 bhp on a recent rolling road day
Old 03 January 2005, 12:11 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

i know i shouldn't say this a most don't wanna hear it but i'd buy an evo 6
Old 03 January 2005, 12:21 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by peachy wrx
i know i shouldn't say this a most don't wanna hear it but i'd buy an evo 6
And I'd be inclined to agree with you

*If* the original post was WRX or STi or EVO 6

but personally there isn't a sh1tty stick long enough to make me even consider touching a used grey import
Old 03 January 2005, 06:22 PM
MR CTR
Scooby Newbie

Hmm, some good info there. I will have to do some calling around and see what prices I can get. Tempted by seeing what a brand new 05 WRX would work out at and then add a PPP or comparable mod later on. STi bonnet vent and rear wing would have to be a must though........and some 18" OZ super legras.......and dear god this thing will take all my money!!!!! Any pics of a 05 out there, maybe with the mods mentioned???
Old 03 January 2005, 07:10 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

05 WRX from £20k (haggle to 18.5k) at dealers, but EU UK spec with warranty from £15k from importers. STi from £26k (24) or £20k imported.

WRX PPP £1600 + OZ's £1100 + scoop £200 (£100 copy) + wing £800 (£400 copy), plus the insurance will be dearer on a mod'd WRX than a standard STi. Money better spent on EBC Ceramic pads and Prodrive/Eibach springs than cosmetics. IMHO, if you want it to look like an STi, get an STi. In the long run it'll cost about the same
Old 03 January 2005, 07:16 PM
Prodrive_Eddie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pogue
Hold on, you can get a used 03 STi Type UK for 18k
I agree, recently bought my 02 STi Prodrive - couldn't stretch the extra couple of £k. Search hard, you'll find one for £18K...

Ed