Sponsored by:

car tax question

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2004, 06:41 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face car tax question

If my car tax has ran out today and i am moving house from the north to the south within the next week were all my car documents are (insurance mot etc) how long do i have before i get fined. I will have to drive down to the south un taxed and will be un taxed for around 4 days.Whats the worst I can expect and is there any leeway at all in paying?

cheers
Old 30 December 2004, 06:56 PM
* * * KEV * * *
Scooby Regular

The official word is that there is no leeway. Once its run out it has to be retaxed so if you drive it your taking a risk, but i think IF you get caught you get reported to DVLA at Swansea and you just get done for the back tax so in theory its worth taking a risk for a couple of days
Old 30 December 2004, 08:31 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I have drowve around for about 2 weeks last year when I couldn't get tax disc. Moved house and couldn;t find one of the docs.

i think you'll be ok for a coulpe of days unless you're unlucky
Old 30 December 2004, 08:44 PM
5cby
Scooby Regular

do u know any1 where u are moving to?
if so get them to tax it for you
at least if u did get pulled they can check the database and see that its taxed although you wont have it in the window worth a try

steve
Old 30 December 2004, 08:47 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

I remember a visit to the local Post Office 1-2 years ago. A Gypsy came in and asked for road tax but did not have the relative documents. Had to come to England in a rush and left everything behind. When I asked the assistant (who I know very well) what the out come would be, she said he would get it because he knows what to say and she would not be able to refuse. This happens quite regulary.
Old 30 December 2004, 08:50 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DEEDEE
I remember a visit to the local Post Office 1-2 years ago. A Gypsy came in and asked for road tax but did not have the relative documents. Had to come to England in a rush and left everything behind. When I asked the assistant (who I know very well) what the out come would be, she said he would get it because he knows what to say and she would not be able to refuse. This happens quite regulary.
Did she tell you the magic words though?
Old 30 December 2004, 09:40 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

cheers for the help everyone, to tell you the truth its not me moving but my sister and she is worried to hell about it, but in all the hassel of moving she has forgot as you do moving and she did not get a reminder to help her. I have been on the dvla web site but god knows how to decifer the law etc or maybe he does not. Keep the posts coming if you hear or know of anything/someone etc, there is a thing on the dvla site about a 14 day period from the expiry date but as usual its all mumbo jumbo.

cheers
Old 30 December 2004, 09:48 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I didn't renew mine and got a £40 fine letter as i remember about 2 months after it expired.

I should point out that this was because i'd PX'd the car at a main dealer 2 months before it was due and we filled out all the paperwork.
Old 30 December 2004, 09:59 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by GREEN SCOOBY
If my car tax has ran out today
Car tax doesn't run out on the 29th Dec its always the 31st

and i am moving house from the north to the south within the next week were all my car documents are (insurance mot etc) how long do i have before i get fined. I will have to drive down to the south un taxed and will be un taxed for around 4 days.Whats the worst I can expect and is there any leeway at all in paying?
cheers

Just taxed mine today, but i got the reminder over 2 weeks ago,so there's really no excuse for not doing it, if you forget and theres no valid tax disc in force or no SORN received at DVLA by the time the disc runs out im sure you get an automatic fine of £80 but i may be wrong on the amount
Old 30 December 2004, 10:08 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
Car tax doesn't run out on the 29th Dec its always the 31st

Just taxed mine today, but i got the reminder over 2 weeks ago,so there's really no excuse for not doing it, if you forget and theres no valid tax disc in force or no SORN received at DVLA by the time the disc runs out im sure you get an automatic fine of £80 but i may be wrong on the amount
Don't think it can be automatic - I was about a week late renewing mine recently - didn't get stopped, just got a new one from the PO - no questions asked and everything seems to be fine. Might be a different question if you are spotted, round our way traffic wardens are pretty hot on this
Old 30 December 2004, 10:13 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically, if the cops pull you with no road tax all they can do is refer you to the DVLA for not paying the tax. Depending on how far out of date you are, they'll decide to fine you or not.

DVLA give you 14 days to re-tax the vehicle after the expiry date. - http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/unlicensed.htm - statement #2

I've known people who've had no tax for two months (simply not displayed the tax disc) and they were just charged back dated tax + small fine.

Stefan
Old 30 December 2004, 10:16 PM
STi Paul
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by DEEDEE
I would love to know what the magic word is, because I don't know of any and no-one has yet tried it on me.
official policy :- no insurance, no mot(if needed) NO TAX DISC simple.

Paul
Old 30 December 2004, 10:24 PM
STi Paul
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Woman who was late getting her tax was telling a story.

Was ticketed by traffic warden, for out of date tax, was fined £40
Two weeks later, after taxing the car, a letter from DVLA, fining her again for not having tax £40
phoned DVLA, apparently it was TWO offences, hence two fines???????

Paul
Old 31 December 2004, 12:20 AM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers again for everything from little sis.

OZZY- thanks for the dvla reply. That is the way I read it but I am never sure about all the mambo jambo garb. Why not put it more plainly?

DAZZA01-Just taxed mine today, but i got the reminder over 2 weeks ago,so there's really no excuse for not doing it,

come on pal accidents happen, she is a newish car buyer and new to all the car procedure that goes with it and she got no reminder and its the first time she has had to get tax and has had to uplift house with here boyfriend with next to no notice,so this is probably one of the last things on her mind especially with no notice and the only reason she cant get tax at the mo is because all her docs are in her other address which is 8 hours away,so give people a break untill you know the facts,or read them properly.

Thanks for your help again

roy