Sponsored by:

My scooby is making me ill

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2004, 09:44 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My scooby is making me ill

I had my wrx stolen last march after some scumbag broke into the house to nick the keys while we were asleep upstairs. I have been paranoid ever since and have upgraded the security of the car and house as much as physically possible (without adding bars on the window). I felt a lot better after doing this and ended up buying a new wrx in september, but just recently (after reading all the reports on here of thefts in the midlands area) i have been getting very nervous again and waking up in the night having anxiety attacks!!! Last night was really bad and i am very, very close to chopping it in for something else. I just can't believe owning something that i really want can get me into this state!!!
Old 27 December 2004, 09:54 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Mate i feel for you. On the one hand i'd say don't let these scum bags win. On the other i'd say your health and happiness is the most important. Go with your heart mate. I'm sure your make the right choice.
Old 27 December 2004, 10:01 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

If i go with my heart when i wake up in the middle of the night i will be doing 190bpm!!!

Its really pi$$ing me off, i'm fine all day and evening, just if i'm woken up in the middle of the night Funnily enough i'm fine after about 8 pints of stella
Old 27 December 2004, 10:03 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

If its making you that unwell I'd get rid of it. No car is worth that amount of harm to your health even a lovely Impreza. That's just my opinion. Its such a shame the scumbags make us feel like that...when I've got the money I'm wondering what car I could possibly get that will not be stolen, scratched or carjacked...isn't it a sad state of affairs when we have to live like that. I hope that yours situation gets better soon.
Old 27 December 2004, 10:13 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I'd say get rid of it if it's making you ill. Health, at the end of the day is more important than a car. (Even if it is a Scoob!)

The only think is if you replace it with another nice car i'm sorry to suggest you may have the same problem again. With this being a Scooby site you'll hear about Impreza thefts a lot more than other makes.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Chris
Old 27 December 2004, 10:33 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I know what you are saying chris, plus subaru are the only people who will give me a half reasonable price if i chop it in, so it will either have to be a forester or a legacy, and the leggy won't fit on my drive. So would a forester XT for cause me the same stress????
Old 27 December 2004, 10:48 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
I know what you are saying chris, plus subaru are the only people who will give me a half reasonable price if i chop it in, so it will either have to be a forester or a legacy, and the leggy won't fit on my drive. So would a forester XT for cause me the same stress????
It's hard to say really, although i doubt it. Unless someone is in the know they probably won't realise what it is.

I'm sure if you were to go onto one of the BMW forums there'll be similar stories on there.
Old 27 December 2004, 10:51 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

So would a forester XT for cause me the same stress????
Imo i would sudjest the Forester would be piece of mind if thats how you feel.
Old 27 December 2004, 11:02 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

think it is all down to the R-SOLE who steals the car >> what he needs it for ?? speed, >> load carrying space, all sorts of reasons , it must be really awfull to feel as you do , Just do what you need to ??? cheers >> good luck , Alan,
Old 27 December 2004, 11:17 PM
billsandhu
Scooby Regular

Austen your car is mint, it would be a real shame if you had to get rid of it. I'm like you, sometimes real paranoid. I got rid of my first scoob just before my son was born (hearing all these horror stories), but threw caution to the wind and landed myself a wagon six months later. You got to do whats right for you mate.
Old 27 December 2004, 11:27 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i would get rid of it if i felt that bad.

if anybody ever tried to nick mine (unlikey due to it sticking out like a sore thumb far to much??)
i think i would get rid of it and never buy another one.
Old 27 December 2004, 11:30 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

I would approach Stella Artois and ask if they would sponsor you on health grounds

We all get a bit like that from time to time don't let the b@stards grind you down, It is after all a car, Abeit a nice one but still a car.

Simpson
Old 27 December 2004, 11:53 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I was like that too after my first Clio was stolen and then had an attempted break-in to get my second. I would wake up at silly times, at any slight noise and I started to really lose sleep over it.

What we did was make sure that no-one could get into the house without us knowing. I hide the keys every night and will not leave them out for them to get, even if they do get in the house. We uprated the alarm, & got lights for the front of the house. I have started a neighbourhood watch scheme too which will hopefully benefit the whole of my street.

So, even though I did all these things, I was still worried, but after a while, I told myself that they would have to be extremely clever to get in the house without triggering the alarm, and even if they did get in, we have not made it easy for them to steal the keys.

Sell the car and kick yourself when the joy of driving your new Mondeo or Focus has worn off or stick with the scoob and reassure yourself that they cannot get at it if you are careful.
Old 28 December 2004, 12:46 AM
WRX wrx WRX
Scooby Regular

IMO the best thing to do is move abroad and get out of this s**t hole of a country to somewhere where people dont have to put up with this sort of crap.
If the country/government was'nt so money orientated (i.e they would sooner take money of you in speeding fines and taxes then catch the people doing this) then i dont think problems like this would be half as bad, take cyprus for instance, everyone's laid back, no theft, people even leave the keys in the cars all the time without any problems.
Old 28 December 2004, 07:47 AM
robinH20MRV
Scooby Regular

Wink

why not just move? ie away from the midlands? i am in edinburgh and (touch wood) have no problems what so ever,

just a thought
Old 28 December 2004, 08:36 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Default Get a dog

Just a thought, why not get a dog, my Great Dane barks at anything that sets foot on our property (Sounds really evil).

If you had a dog, it is like having your own early warning system.

Big-G
with
Big-Dog
Old 28 December 2004, 12:23 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

I had my wrx stolen last march after some scumbag broke into the house to nick the keys while we were asleep upstairs. I have been paranoid ever since and have upgraded the security of the car and house as much as physically possible (without adding bars on the window). I felt a lot better after doing this and ended up buying a new wrx in september, but just recently (after reading all the reports on here of thefts in the midlands area) i have been getting very nervous again and waking up in the night having anxiety attacks!!! Last night was really bad and i am very, very close to chopping it in for something else. I just can't believe owning something that i really want can get me into this state!!!
Mate - Sorry to hear about your prob's, i know B/Ham is particularly bad at the moment.
Is there anyone you know who might rent out a garage for a few penny's a week?, it's worth asking around.
I went through the same turmoil when i was lookng for my Scoob and was reading about all the probs accociated with scum wanting to nick them.

I bought a wagon and they don't seem to attract the same sort of attention as a saloon.

Hope you feel better soon bud.

Rob
Old 28 December 2004, 01:09 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

This is why we have insurance. You have covered yourself for loss already so no need to get worried about it. If it goes it goes, but dont let your anxiety overtake your desire to own this car which is giving you so much by ownership.
Old 28 December 2004, 01:19 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I make sure my keys are never left in the hall way, and sometime i even take them up with me. We had 4 incidents of damage and theft between 1992-2000. We had our suspicions and a certain family a few streets away have moved now and weve never had any problems since. If you dont already, id get yourself a big dog too.
Old 28 December 2004, 07:37 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers everyone

Big-G - I like dogs and would definetly have one, but the problem is the missus is allergic to them
Beastie vbmenu_register("postmenu_4124538", true); - It isn't the theft of the ar that worries me, its the fact that some low life scum with no regard for other people possesions or life could be in my house while my family are asleep
scoobyfan - i have enquired locally but there are no free garages. I have a garage around the back but it is too small. I owuld have to knock it down and build a new one. Its an option i'm considering.
robinH20MRV - We are going to move away from birmingham, but not in a postion to just at the moment.
Clarebabes - Did similiar things you have said, but like you still felt worried. I was OK untill a few weeks ago, may just be a phase
I was ok last night, and felt a bit better about things this morning, at least i didn't go down the dealers like i was planning!

My missus is fine and doesn't worry about it and has just told me hold on for a while to see if gets any better, and to stop eating cheese and pickles before i go to bed
Old 28 December 2004, 08:59 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Mate. Firstly your health comes first.
Secondly don't rush into any decision.
A pal of mine suffered a similar fate as you for different reasons. His doctor told him to write down what was worrying him at bedtime on a piece of paper and leave it by the side of his bed. If he woke during the night he could see the problem but he said as it was written down he found he could sleep. He knew he could worry about it in the morning so could sleep.
Hope this helps, as its a shame to let thieves dictate how honest law abiding citizens live. Good luck Bob
Old 28 December 2004, 09:39 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

As everything mate don't rush any decision.

I caught some git trying to get into my first Scooby (on 5th now!) and hit him around the back of the knees with baseball bat. Enough to put him on the floor but not break anything. I learnt a valuable lesson that night is that I was banged up for the night due to be 'wielding' a weapon. Caught someone trying to get into my garage the other day and me and the neighbour kicked the sh*t out of the ****. Been fine since

Don't let them win.

Jon.
Old 28 December 2004, 11:02 PM
tracktime
Scooby Regular

get shot of the scoob.

its a pice of metal and not worth it

Rob

ps been there
Old 28 December 2004, 11:12 PM
tracktime
Scooby Regular

Also DO NOT take your keys to bed . If the Tw@Ts are going to get into your house. Let them take the motor not worth them coming upstairs and...................

ITS only metal

IMHO

Rob
Old 29 December 2004, 08:25 AM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Big-G - I like dogs and would definetly have one, but the problem is the missus is allergic to them
Get a Husky - the only dog that doesn't trigger allergies. And they're lovely looking dogs
Old 29 December 2004, 09:06 AM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

Get rid of the missus, get a big dog and keep the car (only joking). We were broken in to on xmas eve two years ago they took all the kids presents, everything even the Hover(yeah). The Tos*ers came back one month later and got nothing lights all over the house and new alarm scared them off. Know what you mean re lack of sleep took us a good year to relax whilst out. Turns out it was one git doing all the crime in our area. He got a pathetic 18 months and was out in 6. Who says crime doesn't pay.
Chin up.
Old 29 December 2004, 01:01 PM
antera309
Scooby Regular

Buy an older, slightly tatty Scoob, take the badges off, and keep it dirty. Spend the money you've saved on some mods.

That way, you get the same driving thrills as a new Scoob, but without the paranoia.

Last edited by antera309; 29 December 2004 at 01:03 PM.