Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY99/MY00 PPP - your impressions of it?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2004, 10:07 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MY99/MY00 PPP - your impressions of it?

I am awaiting delivery of 3 of the 5 parts of the PPP, just need a centre section and samco intercooler hoses. I am looking forward to it giving the car a new lease of life.

I dont want to get into any argument about other remaps being better - which I don't doubt.

What I would like to know it what to expect. I understand it gives increased torque and smoother power delivery which doesn't tail off so much at the top of the rev range. But in every day driving what have been you experiences?

Thanks
Simon
Old 23 December 2004, 10:14 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

I found that it made the car a bit more responsive in the midrange and therefore improved overtaking etc.
It also gave the car a bit more of a sense of urgency when you plant your right foot into the carpet.

TBH i was a bit disappointed by it , and was glad not to have paid full money for it. - I sold it all on after a couple of weeks, and Tek3'd the car with other mods.

Richard
Old 23 December 2004, 02:11 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Richard,
I would go ecutek were it not for:
1. Cost
2. My conservative nature
3. My concern it would have on insurance
Old 23 December 2004, 02:46 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

If you are buying all the components (ecu, intercooler pipe, exhaust centre and rear) secondhand, then I would say it's definately worth a try.

IMO It certainly won't transform the power, just give you a bit of an edge on the delivery.

If you're not that impressed with it, you could always sell the ECU on (recouping about £300/350), keep the exhaust and intercooler pipe and use either a MBC or EBC to raise the boost levels (in conjunction with a boost gauge and Knocklink ) - Saving some cash and acheiving a very similar result.

The only benefit I could see with keeping the PPP ECU was to improve the resale value of the car (slightly)

Richard
Old 23 December 2004, 10:29 PM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

I have PPP on my RB5, in my experiance there is not that much difference between the PPP and ecutek, you will probably find the ecutek will give you more power but not such a hugh amount that you will clearly notice it on the road. Have you de-catted the downpipe? Doing this and the centre will give you some good increases in addition to the PPP and is well worth doing.

Rich
Old 23 December 2004, 10:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Set it to overboost slightly (target is 15.7 PSI, and a peak to 18 PSI in the cold and wet in top gear when the car is being driven hard is about right, decat alone might do this, if not can adjust the actuator) so that it won't oscillate but will hit good boost in lower gears, and run it with a decat and Optimax, and it will keep up with a sensible remap.

The only reason I got rid of mine was to get Ecutek and map for a bigger turbo. On the standard turbo the 99/00 PPP is ace.
Old 24 December 2004, 07:34 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Set it to overboost slightly
Thanks all for you replies and help.

John, are you saying that the settings in the PPP are user adjustable?

Thanks

Simon
Old 24 December 2004, 08:10 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

think john was suggesting that you alter the length of the actuator rod. as far as i know the ppp ecu is not user mappable - i.e. it is a fixed map.
Old 24 December 2004, 08:48 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by john banks
Set it to overboost slightly (target is 15.7 PSI, and a peak to 18 PSI in the cold and wet in top gear when the car is being driven hard is about right, decat alone might do this, if not can adjust the actuator) so that it won't oscillate but will hit good boost in lower gears, and run it with a decat and Optimax, and it will keep up with a sensible remap.

The only reason I got rid of mine was to get Ecutek and map for a bigger turbo. On the standard turbo the 99/00 PPP is ace.

Agree with you John, the PPP is good, and at the time it came out it was about the only tuning accessory for the UK turbo.
Though not as agressive as say a tek 3 remap (and a little more expensive), the power is progressive and smooth, you should notice a marked difference in the mid range and the exhaust doesnt sound too bad either

Tony
Old 24 December 2004, 01:58 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

PPP is good, gives you more power lower down and more higher up. If you then shorten the actuator rod by 5mm by adjustment its like having PPP all over again. Fuel consumption does suffer though, but loads of power everywhere. (5mm is max recommended before overboost becomes a problem.
Old 24 December 2004, 02:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

5mm is quite a lot! One complete turn was about 1 PSI on the peak boost when I last fiddled with a TD04.