Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security Info.

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2000, 03:09 PM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just subscribed last night after reading some of the messages. Must say that this is a top site and big respect to the person(s) who have made this possible.

I noticed that some of you were wondering what the disklock is like and whether it is worth investing in one. My dad bought one for our car just after we were burgled back in November, for the car keys.

I have to say that in my opinion the disklock is brilliant. Sure, it takes a short while to put on at first. After a few days however it is easy. Must take about 5-10 seconds to put on and less to remove. It really is not as hard as some people make out. The discklock is a serious piece of kit and it looks the business too. It is visible from the road. If someone tries to lever it off the wheel, 1. They would make a lot of noise and 2. The lock will just rotate around the wheel, making this pretty impossible.

When we go out we put it in the boot, and now it has become second nature putting it on. It is well worth it though as you know that it really would be a bugger to remove.

When we bought the car, we had a gearbox lock fitted soon afterwards, which has already served us well.

At 2 a.m. on a Monday morning I heard some noises and noticed that the downstairs light was on. I looked out my bedroom window and saw two men by our car. Luckily my mobile was charging next to the bed, so I rang the police - and full credit to them, they were pretty damn quick in getting there. Also brought a chopper with them, which was nice.

In the meantime my parents and I went downstairs. We found that the b******s had broken in through the back window and gone out the front. They had got the car keys and removed the key from the front door and locked us in. We managed to get to the utility room door - me with my iron bar. We unlocked it and my dad hit the back window of the car. By this time they had managed to start the car and revving the engine thought they were about to get away - but no. The gearbox lock prevented them from going anywhere. The one in the car panicked as we were shouting and ran off. They ramned the police car and sped off. There was a long chase into some flats, where the police lost them. But, the one cocky git in our car was smoking a ***, which he dropped when he realised was sprung. Cops got the DNA from it and later arrested him and his mate.

I believe, that without the gearbox lock they would have gotten away with the car. It really is worth every penny.

Since then we have had our house alarmed, with floodlights at the front and rear, got a disklock and park the other car in front of the Scoob. The other car has an alarm and immobiliser as well.

Having said all this, about a month ago I went to sit on my bedroom window sill to have a ***, just after 2.00 am. I opened my window and set off the floodlight. Hearing some footsteps I sat still thinking it were a passer-by, as I was wearing only my boxer shorts. However a bloke walked past our drive and shone a torch right in my face until he was past the house. He then drove off in a white Metro/Tipo? with his lights off. I was wondering whether any of you would think that they might still try something? Anyway we went after him in the car to see whether we could see him.

If anyone comes back, I have a loaded pistol next to my bed and I'm quite willing to put a pellet up someone's ****.
Old 13 August 2000, 04:36 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Angry

*******s - sounds like you live in a war zone (quick profile check - Birmingham - ok). I'm becoming less paranoid as the days go by, but I'm still considering a deadlock. I have a disklock, which helps a bit, but it seems they can be beaten in 5 minutes by some.

I should be ok with keys at night, since I'm in a flat, so it's not obvious which one they should break into.

They probably got a real telling off by the police, so they wouldn't dream of committing another crime for at least a day (not the police's fault I know, it's our leneant legal system). But even if they're not back, I'm sure some others will be round.

You could also concider the halfords wheel clamp, a tracker, a baby alarm in the car etc if you're having problems.
Old 13 August 2000, 07:02 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Tom, dont lock your front door and leave the keys in the inside lock at night!

Glad to hear they got caught.

Cheers

S
Old 13 August 2000, 07:53 PM
Steve_Yeowart
Scooby Regular

Have a friend of mine with an RB5 who lives on the ISle of Man he came over here for a visit and was in Manchester doing some shopping parks the car and puts the disklok on then realises he hasn't brought the disclok keys with him (never uses it over there because there is no car crime!!). Any way to cut a long story short it took a proffesional lock smith the best part of 15 minutes to get the damn thing of that was with my mate stood there and all the associated noise!! So as far as I'm concerned that speaks for itself!!!
Old 13 August 2000, 09:55 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Steve,

that is why i make a habit of pressing the Disklok "cylinder" down every time i take it off the steering wheel - so that i can never accidentally lock it back on!

Tis a hefty bit of kit!

mb
Old 14 August 2000, 12:54 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Have a look at :
Old 14 August 2000, 11:52 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

Triggaaar,

I read somewhere that the 5 minutes to overcome the Disklok was as a result of a faulty batch. Whatever the manufacturing problem was ( - a faulty weld, probably), it has now been fixed, and Disklok is again "top banana".

I've got one of these things and think it's terrific. I'm going to back it up though by getting a Barrier Deadlock fitted as well.

Pete