ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speed Camera's on opposite side of road

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2004, 09:29 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Camera's on opposite side of road

After purchasing a Snooper Gps detector i have noticed that it does not warn you of Gatso's on the other side of the road !!!

Question is

Can you therefor be prosicuted , As surely you would be warned as you are for the cameras on your side of the road

Thanks

Dean
Old 13 December 2004, 09:36 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

They cant do you in opposite direction the only reason you may have markings on your side of the road is for a car overtaking
Old 13 December 2004, 10:32 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

As wide said.

Gatso's only measure cars moving away, not towards.
Old 13 December 2004, 10:36 AM
New_scooby_04

Do make sure you update your software frequently though, as some Gatso's are reversible and can catch a GPS locator with an out of date database out! As the above post states, however, you can only be caught by a Gatso facing your direction of travel (i.e. a shot of the rear of your car). Truvelos are foward facing, though!

Best.
Old 13 December 2004, 10:42 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

The Origin B2 tells you of Camera's on the other side of the road - The Alarm does go off, it just gives you a little icon on screen.
Old 13 December 2004, 10:46 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

The cameras are technically able to measure speed in both directions according to the manufacturer but they are not home office type approved to do so.
Old 13 December 2004, 11:22 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Do make sure you update your software frequently though, as some Gatso's are reversible and can catch a GPS locator with an out of date database out! As the above post states, however, you can only be caught by a Gatso facing your direction of travel (i.e. a shot of the rear of your car). Truvelos are foward facing, though!

Best.
Does the Snooper database take into account which way the Gatsos point, I used mine for the first time in anger on Saturday night down the A1 and round the North Circular and it seemed to warn me about some which were not in fact a danger - in the centre of dual carriageways (therefore presumably reversible) but not pointing my way. However on the North Circular every warning was for one on the nearside - and therefore presumably not reversible. I imagine that there must have been more on the opposite carriageway but I got no "false" alarms.
Old 13 December 2004, 11:47 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The origin tells you it is a reversable Gatso but of course cannot tell you the way it is pointing at any given time.
Don't forget the Truvelo cameras which point towards you!
JohnD
Old 13 December 2004, 05:43 PM
Red Man
Scooby Regular

If you have the Snooper S4 then it will detect cameras on the other side of the road - it is an option you can turn on or off.
Old 13 December 2004, 05:49 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
The Origin B2 tells you of Camera's on the other side of the road - The Alarm does go off, it just gives you a little icon on screen.
Messiah
I think you mean "The Alarm does NOT go off, it just gives you a little icon on screen", for cameras on the other side of the road.

If the camera is reversible or on your side, the B2 alarm always goes off. The B2 tells you the camera is reversible if it is.
Cheers
Nick
Old 13 December 2004, 07:33 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic but I notice that my road angel does not seem to pick up the radar from permanent gatso's.

The GPS tells me they are there but if I delete them from the database, or if I am going the other way, surely my radar/laser detector should detect them as well, or do they use some other form of speed measurement???
Old 13 December 2004, 07:51 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by pbee
The cameras are technically able to measure speed in both directions according to the manufacturer but they are not home office type approved to do so.
In Holland they'll do you in both directions, as my missus found out last year
Old 13 December 2004, 10:33 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Gatsos flash you twice as you drive away (hence the white lines are of use) but only once when driving towards them. This means that if you want to know what speed sets one off, then you drive towards it at higher and higher speeds until you find out its trigger speed.
Old 13 December 2004, 10:43 PM
lsandie
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Roojai
Slightly off topic but I notice that my road angel does not seem to pick up the radar from permanent gatso's.

The GPS tells me they are there but if I delete them from the database, or if I am going the other way, surely my radar/laser detector should detect them as well, or do they use some other form of speed measurement???
is that a road angel 1 or 2?
If you are referring to road angel 2 it only detects laser, afaik same goes for RA1.
You should not need to pick up radar from permanent gatsos as the road angel will tell you they are there from it's database.

Liam
Old 13 December 2004, 11:01 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Cheers.

With regard to flashing when you drive towards them, I thought they couldn't do that as they would get sued if you crashed as you were momentarily blinded by the flash. That's why only the Truvelos cameras can do it (infra-red)
Old 13 December 2004, 11:20 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Cheers.

With regard to flashing when you drive towards them, I thought they couldn't do that as they would get sued if you crashed as you were momentarily blinded by the flash. That's why only the Truvelos cameras can do it (infra-red)
Time to take a trip out for some experimenting....
Old 14 December 2004, 12:20 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Cheers.

It's not to do with the flash blinding you AFAIK, it's called civil liberties law or something to that effect, where if for example you were to dispute the photo, it lands through your door, the missus has a look at the photo and sees that you've been running around with a bit of crumpet, divorce etc, so they can't use the evidence. So I've been told.
Craig
Old 14 December 2004, 12:41 AM
Nixon
Scooby Regular

Correct the Road Angels only detect laser and fixed sites by GPS (both v.1 and v.2)

Here in Dorset they are the only (so told) establishment to use radar mobile cameras, the good old fasioned low level black box with seperate flash unit which does you from the rear! unfortunatly the only answer was the Snooper S6-RLD which detects GPS fixed sites, laser and radar. If you turn the GPS off you'll see that radar is only being emitted from around 1 in 10 Gatso's so presuimlbly empty!?