ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Speed Camera's on opposite side of road (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/387104-speed-cameras-on-opposite-side-of-road.html)

DeanF 13 December 2004 09:29 AM

Speed Camera's on opposite side of road

After purchasing a Snooper Gps detector i have noticed that it does not warn you of Gatso's on the other side of the road !!!

Question is

Can you therefor be prosicuted , As surely you would be warned as you are for the cameras on your side of the road :confused:

Thanks

Dean

wide 13 December 2004 09:36 AM

They cant do you in opposite direction the only reason you may have markings on your side of the road is for a car overtaking

scooby L 13 December 2004 10:32 AM

As wide said.

Gatso's only measure cars moving away, not towards.

New_scooby_04 13 December 2004 10:36 AM

Do make sure you update your software frequently though, as some Gatso's are reversible and can catch a GPS locator with an out of date database out! As the above post states, however, you can only be caught by a Gatso facing your direction of travel (i.e. a shot of the rear of your car). Truvelos are foward facing, though!

Best.

messiah 13 December 2004 10:42 AM

The Origin B2 tells you of Camera's on the other side of the road - The Alarm does go off, it just gives you a little icon on screen.

pbee 13 December 2004 10:46 AM

The cameras are technically able to measure speed in both directions according to the manufacturer but they are not home office type approved to do so.

RJMS 13 December 2004 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Do make sure you update your software frequently though, as some Gatso's are reversible and can catch a GPS locator with an out of date database out! As the above post states, however, you can only be caught by a Gatso facing your direction of travel (i.e. a shot of the rear of your car). Truvelos are foward facing, though!

Best.

Does the Snooper database take into account which way the Gatsos point, I used mine for the first time in anger on Saturday night down the A1 and round the North Circular and it seemed to warn me about some which were not in fact a danger - in the centre of dual carriageways (therefore presumably reversible) but not pointing my way. However on the North Circular every warning was for one on the nearside - and therefore presumably not reversible. I imagine that there must have been more on the opposite carriageway but I got no "false" alarms.

JohnD 13 December 2004 11:47 AM

The origin tells you it is a reversable Gatso but of course cannot tell you the way it is pointing at any given time.
Don't forget the Truvelo cameras which point towards you!
JohnD

Red Man 13 December 2004 05:43 PM

If you have the Snooper S4 then it will detect cameras on the other side of the road - it is an option you can turn on or off.

Nick100 13 December 2004 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by messiah
The Origin B2 tells you of Camera's on the other side of the road - The Alarm does go off, it just gives you a little icon on screen.

Messiah
I think you mean "The Alarm does NOT go off, it just gives you a little icon on screen", for cameras on the other side of the road.

If the camera is reversible or on your side, the B2 alarm always goes off. The B2 tells you the camera is reversible if it is.
Cheers
Nick

Roojai 13 December 2004 07:33 PM

Slightly off topic but I notice that my road angel does not seem to pick up the radar from permanent gatso's.

The GPS tells me they are there but if I delete them from the database, or if I am going the other way, surely my radar/laser detector should detect them as well, or do they use some other form of speed measurement???

Suresh 13 December 2004 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by pbee
The cameras are technically able to measure speed in both directions according to the manufacturer but they are not home office type approved to do so.

In Holland they'll do you in both directions, as my missus found out last year :o

AR 13 December 2004 10:33 PM

Gatsos flash you twice as you drive away (hence the white lines are of use) but only once when driving towards them. This means that if you want to know what speed sets one off, then you drive towards it at higher and higher speeds until you find out its trigger speed.

lsandie 13 December 2004 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Roojai
Slightly off topic but I notice that my road angel does not seem to pick up the radar from permanent gatso's.

The GPS tells me they are there but if I delete them from the database, or if I am going the other way, surely my radar/laser detector should detect them as well, or do they use some other form of speed measurement???

is that a road angel 1 or 2?
If you are referring to road angel 2 it only detects laser, afaik same goes for RA1.
You should not need to pick up radar from permanent gatsos as the road angel will tell you they are there from it's database.

Liam

Roojai 13 December 2004 11:01 PM

Cheers.

With regard to flashing when you drive towards them, I thought they couldn't do that as they would get sued if you crashed as you were momentarily blinded by the flash. That's why only the Truvelos cameras can do it (infra-red)

AR 13 December 2004 11:20 PM

Cheers.

With regard to flashing when you drive towards them, I thought they couldn't do that as they would get sued if you crashed as you were momentarily blinded by the flash. That's why only the Truvelos cameras can do it (infra-red)

Time to take a trip out for some experimenting....

craigdmcd 14 December 2004 12:20 AM

Cheers.

It's not to do with the flash blinding you AFAIK, it's called civil liberties law or something to that effect, where if for example you were to dispute the photo, it lands through your door, the missus has a look at the photo and sees that you've been running around with a bit of crumpet, divorce etc, so they can't use the evidence. So I've been told.
Craig

Nixon 14 December 2004 12:41 AM

Correct the Road Angels only detect laser and fixed sites by GPS (both v.1 and v.2)

Here in Dorset they are the only (so told) establishment to use radar mobile cameras, the good old fasioned low level black box with seperate flash unit which does you from the rear! unfortunatly the only answer was the Snooper S6-RLD which detects GPS fixed sites, laser and radar. If you turn the GPS off you'll see that radar is only being emitted from around 1 in 10 Gatso's so presuimlbly empty!?