Sponsored by:

Other drivers reactions

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2004, 12:28 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other drivers reactions

Knocked up a couple of hundred miles over the weekend and there are a couple of things which are apparent.

In my jap crap scoob, in the outside lane at the cough speed limit, come up behind another car, he looks in the mirror moves over and I go past

same scenario but in my 205, same speeds involved, the guy looks in the mirror, stays where he is and puts his foot down. He has now gone up 10mph, looks in the mirror, im still there so he does the same again. Now he dont wanna be going as fast as he is but he just cant bring himself to move over.

Its so so frustrating.

Oh there are the exceptions though, the ones who wont move no matter what. Normally grandad doing exactly 70mph or some obscure person driving a range rover / X5 / volvo.
Old 12 December 2004, 12:33 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Ive never had this problem myself
Old 12 December 2004, 12:42 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Had the 'blessed' drive the other day where everyone got out of the way before I had to reduce speed because of them
Old 12 December 2004, 12:45 PM
RB5263
Scooby Regular

What I see more and more is the lengths people will go to to get infront of a scoob. This includes Mr average in a very normal everyday saloon car who swaps lanes and cuts people up just to get in front of you and make more progress. If I drive the GF's focus I never seem to see it. Does this kind of thing happen to anyone else?
Old 12 December 2004, 12:52 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Don't think there is such a thing as a "standard" reaction. Sometimes, people move out of the way because they realise you can easily nip by with out delaying them. Other people seem to feel some kind of duty to prevent you passing - e.g. Friday night I had to nail the brakes to avoid a large van pulling out of the middle lane when I was level with his back corner - despite the fact there was no-one else in the middle lane for him to overtake.
Old 12 December 2004, 01:03 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

I've had many similar incidents.

When i'm in the scoob, a Cashmere yellow sti6 wagon, people look in the mirror, and generally pull over to let me past. Just as I do, when there's a bike behind or a mercedes Sprinter van.

My daily driver, a '92 BMW 318i Touring, same speeds as you mention, people speed up or ignore me trying to get past.

I've noticed that a lot mor e people let me out at junctions when I'm in the scoob as well.

Strange, isn't it?

Dave
Old 12 December 2004, 01:07 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Daveo
I've had many similar incidents.

When i'm in the scoob, a Cashmere yellow sti6 wagon, people look in the mirror, and generally pull over to let me past. Just as I do, when there's a bike behind or a mercedes Sprinter van.

My daily driver, a '92 BMW 318i Touring, same speeds as you mention, people speed up or ignore me trying to get past.

I've noticed that a lot mor e people let me out at junctions when I'm in the scoob as well.

Strange, isn't it?

Dave
The letters BMW may explain your experiences here
Old 12 December 2004, 01:21 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I have no problem with people wanting to overtake me, that's their decision. What does bug me is people cutting roundabouts on the inside lane just to get in front. The last thing that you want is two people jostling for the same roundabout exit. I've had this loads of times- mostly on one particular roundabout that I use a lot, but on others too. I wonder if they realise that the person in the outside lane has right of way even if they've took the wrong lane for their exit. Or, indeed, whether they give a toss.
Old 12 December 2004, 02:25 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Its because they see

205 = small car = slow

impreza = rally car = fast

Simple
Old 12 December 2004, 02:35 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Its because they see

205 = small car = slow

Simple
Very very true mate.
dave
Old 12 December 2004, 03:09 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

chrisp, thats exactly right, the trouble is I drive them both the same speed, but they dont know that do they?
Old 12 December 2004, 03:32 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Driven 200 miles this weekend on the motorway and got flashed twice by other drivers wanting me to move over.

Both times I had pulled into outside lane to overtake and got flashed before I was clear of the car to change lanes again (I wasn't pulling out on anyone either).

Is this because I wasn't doing over 100 miles an hour and because I am on a scoob?

I never got flashed to move out of the way in my old car (mr2).

Haven't been tailgated yet.
Old 12 December 2004, 04:00 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisp
Its because they see

I don't think many people would have that thought if they looked in their mirror
Old 12 December 2004, 06:36 PM
New_scooby_04

RB5263,

Yes, I'm afraid that is quite a common reaction mate. I find that most people clearly recognise the Scooby and won't try it on! Unfortunately, there are always those who want to test the car- it is a performance icon, afterall- even if they're in a diesel people carrier!! These are the kind of idoits who will do dangerous things to get past at any cost if you're traveling at the speed limit.

I had one only yesterday in a 1.6 Ford Orion! I mean, WTF?!?! Did he think he really had a chance. I just wave them past: not worth the optimax or speeding fine!

Best.
Old 12 December 2004, 08:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the same with Evo 260s LOL. The 320 and the 340 seem happy to move over though
Old 12 December 2004, 08:10 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12 December 2004, 10:39 PM
Pedroskate
Scooby Regular

Default My experience

I thought it was me and the steady decline in driving standards, but I'm losing count of the cars that have cut me up in an effort to take the road in front of me (97 uk turbo wagon). I previously had an LS400 and this never happened (more fool them if they did because it took some stopping!). It realy annoys me but I'm not into high speed races to prove the point. I just drop 2 gears and "shout" at them with the Scorpion decat system as I cruise past.
Old 12 December 2004, 11:47 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

In my MINI Cooper S, I had terrible problems with people never shifting out of the way on motorways and with them jumping out in front of me on roundabouts.

It's a different story in the Scoob, I never seem to get within 4 car lengths before people dive out of the way on the motorway. Great..! And I'm yet to have anyone (apart from a Pug 406 police car in Canterbury!) drive right up my backside.

My secret weapon is soon to be unleashed though, a bright red, 425bhp, 7.8litre V8, 2ish ton, 1959 Chevrolet pick up truck. The front of it is about the size of a house. Can't wait.

Nige.
Old 13 December 2004, 10:41 AM
New_scooby_04

Nige,

Sounds great. If they don't move out of the way of that monster, they're either brave, supid or blind!!!! :-)

How many gallons to the mile will it do BTW? ;-)

Best.
Old 13 December 2004, 11:29 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

you get a different reaction from everybody you meet...this morning I had two flashes and one w@nker sign so not a bad start to the day
Old 13 December 2004, 11:36 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

I find the same with Evo 260s LOL. The 320 and the 340 seem happy to move over though
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dave
Old 13 December 2004, 12:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Trails,

Someone gave you a *****r sign??? I've yet to get that, although somone did shout out that I had a "Gay" car?!?!?! Generally people who comment on the car are very positive. The ***** give themselves away with their driving rather than gesticulation or verbal comments.

Incidentally, the culprit then got into a 1.2 Nova. The very essence of Manhood, I think you'll agree! Laugh? I nearly coughed up my liver! :-D

Best.
Old 13 December 2004, 12:42 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

I have noticed that some people do speed up when you try and overtake on duel carriage ways. And even more dangerous when you go to overtake cars in a slow moving line of traffic to get onto open road, I have had people close gaps on me so I can`t pull in, all because they think I should wait my turn to get passed the slow moving vehicle, so then you have to take some sort of evasive or force your way in and then you get the usual flashing lights and gestures. They doen`t understand that from 45mph - 50 mph even in a heavy bugeye overtaking distances are fairly short. who`s more dangerous me of them.

Jase.
Old 13 December 2004, 12:53 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Not being funny, but why should people move out of the way when they are doing 80mph? Really think it takes the pŁss sometimes when im cruising at around the national speed limit (in my scoob) and I get some **** in an Audi/BMW/Mercedes driver who appears to be trying to get a whiff of my bottom! If they drive at a safe distance away and flash they're lights, I may move over. Not when they are sitting on my bumper!
(No offense to any of the Audi/BMW/Mercedes drivers reading this but from my experience, these are the cars I get trying to invade my rear oriface!
Old 13 December 2004, 12:54 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Trails,

Someone gave you a *****r sign???

I may have been undertaking a long line of traffic that had been sitting in the right hand lane at 65 for a while at the time...so I guess I'm a w@nker for not having any lane disciple or patience
Old 13 December 2004, 12:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Not being funny, but why should people move out of the way when they are doing 80mph?
depends which lane you are in...
Old 13 December 2004, 01:06 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had a nice trip to Wales, mix of A and B roads, there were 2 distinct driver types, 1 type happily let you by, nice safe nip into the other lane and your off, some even signalled left (handy as i was going by anyway), these tend to recognise the Scoob is a fast car and respect that your going to go by.

The 2nd type are the tossers who when in a line of traffic think its a que at Tesco and people over taking are stealing their place, they however have no intention of overtkaing unless a 3 mile straight and a written invitation is given, i'm quite happy nipping in and out on my way through, until you meet these morons who speed, up, close the gap and generally are more dangerous, you then end up over tkaing 2 cars to get by, if you do force your way in a barrage of finger waving and w*nker signs appear in the rear veiw mirror. These people resent the fact you spend your hard earned cash on something nice and enjoy it.
Old 13 December 2004, 01:45 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Not being funny, but why should people move out of the way when they are doing 80mph? Really think it takes the pŁss sometimes when im cruising at around the national speed limit (in my scoob) and I get some **** in an Audi/BMW/Mercedes driver who appears to be trying to get a whiff of my bottom! If they drive at a safe distance away and flash they're lights, I may move over. Not when they are sitting on my bumper!
(No offense to any of the Audi/BMW/Mercedes drivers reading this but from my experience, these are the cars I get trying to invade my rear oriface!
If you're in the overtaking lane, then you should overtake and get back in. It is not up to you to dictate the speed of traffic flow. HTH.
Old 13 December 2004, 01:52 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
depends which lane you are in...
Why? National speed limit is 70mph correct me if i'm wrong. These people either want you out of their way, or they are asking you to break the law. I was in the outside lane doing around 70-80mph. Guy comes up stupidy fast behind me, flashes me to move over. That would have been ok except for the bl*&dy 5 HGC's right next to me in the middle lane which I was over-taking. I had two choices: 1)I could back off, forcing the guy behind to slow down (which from my rear view mirror, didnt look likely) whilst I attempted to slip in behind the lorry, or 2) speed up to quickly get out of the twŁts way. I do not take kindly to this sort of stupidity.
People like that are the reason why we all pay over the odds for insurance.
Old 13 December 2004, 01:53 PM
New_scooby_04

I once had a 950cc x reg fiesta on my bumper at 70mph. I pulled over out of morbid curiosity to see if the car was physically capable of going any faster. It took him about 20 seconds to get in front of me (one cars length) and then move out of the way. I had to admire his detemination and comitment! Unfortunately, I don't think the same can be said for the car! :-)

Best.

Quick Reply: Other drivers reactions