ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone translate this japanese text please

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2004, 04:10 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone translate this japanese text please

Hi there,

Can someone help.

Can you translate these two pages into english please ?

THANKS !

Old 11 December 2004, 05:58 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Even if my Japanese was good enough (which it isn't) that's a hell of a lot work you're asking someone to do for you.

I suggest:-
a) contacting the manufacturers and getting the English fitting instructions

or

b) contacting the manufacturers and getting an electronic copy of those fitting instructions so you can use some on-line translation utlities to cut and paste the test into (I can send you some links to Japanese --> English conversion utilities)

or

c) get yourself a Japanese girlfriend
Old 11 December 2004, 06:25 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

BritInJapan; Id be very interested in b) links to good conversion utilities, if you wouldnt mind. c) too actually!

Simon
Old 11 December 2004, 06:44 PM
rox
Scooby Regular

2 special chow mein 4 egg rolls and egg freid rice if my japanese is still up to scratch
Old 11 December 2004, 06:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

"i would never buy this car its been in 2 hedges and a lake"
Old 11 December 2004, 07:27 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Try this excellent web page for translating pasted text of a whole web page- excellent!

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Jason
Old 11 December 2004, 07:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I was hoping for something a little better than babelfish.....
Old 11 December 2004, 07:29 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Just realised it's scanned text so won't work!

You need some OCR software! (fom wapan)
Old 11 December 2004, 07:30 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I was hoping for something a little better than babelfish.....
What wrong with it? I've always found it ok!

but then I would't know if it was wrong!
Old 11 December 2004, 07:34 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I suppose the best test is to translate it and then to translate it back; the better an app. is the more similar it is to the original. With babelfish if you translate it back just once its virtually meaningless as often as not. Reading that back it looks like a babelfish translation, but hopefully you get my drift...

Being able to read Japanese auction appraisal sheets is my ultimate goal.

Simon
Old 12 December 2004, 12:03 AM
washer
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by marklemac
Hi there,

Can someone help.

Can you translate these two pages into english please ?

THANKS !

try your local chippy they seem to under ,stand jap an chinese are not far off the same lingo
Old 12 December 2004, 12:04 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by washer
try your local chippy they seem to under ,stand jap an chinese are not far off the same lingo

what????

completely different duh
Old 12 December 2004, 12:15 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am fine today and how are you? I hope this letter will find you in the best of health. I am Prince Joe Eboh, the Chairman of the “Contract Award Committee”, of the “Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC)”, a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) was set up by the late Head of State, General Sani Abacha who died on 18th June 1998, to manage the excess revenue accruing from the sales of Petroleum and its allied products as a domestic increase in the petroleum products to develop the communities in the Niger Delta Oil producing areas. The estimated annual revenue for 1999 was $45 Billion US Dollars Ref. FMF A26 Unit 3B Paragraph “D” of the Auditor General of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Report of Nov. 1999 on estimated revenue.

I am the Chairman of the Contract Award Committee, and my committee is solely responsible for awaiting and paying of contracts on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria. My Committee Awarded Contracts to foreign contractors for Drilling and Ecological Matters in the oil producing areas of Niger Delta. We overshot the contract sum by US$25,000,000.00. We have paid the contractors and withholding the balance of US$25,000, 000.00. But, because of the existence of some of the domestic laws forbidding civil servants in Nigeria from opening, operating and maintaining foreign accounts, we do not have the expertise to transfer this balance of fund to a foreign account.

However, this balance of US$25,000, 000.00 has been secured in form of Credit/Payment to a foreign contractor, hence we wish to transfer into your bank account as the beneficiary of the fund. We have also arrived at a conclusion that you will be given 20% of the total sum transferred as our foreign partner, while 5% will be reserved for incidental expenses that both parties will incur in the course of actualizing this transaction, and the balance of 75% will be kept for the committee members.

If you know that you will be capable of helping us actualize this transaction, you should send to me immediately the details of your bank particulars or open a new bank account where we can transfer the money US$25,000, 000.00, which you will be holding in trust for us until we come to your country for our share. Your nature of business does not matter in this transaction. The required details includes your company’s name, address, your private personal telephone/fax numbers, your full name and address, including your complete bank details where the transferred fund will be routed by the Apex Bank.

Note that this transaction is expected to be actualized within 21 working days from the day the required details are forwarded to the Federal Ministry of Finance who will approve the needed foreign exchange control allocation for the release of this money to your account. Please, treat this as top secret. You should contact me urgently.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Yours faithfully,

Prince Joe Eboh

To: Prince Joe Eboh

Father Hector Barnett
Financial Development
London SW

Dear Sir,

My thanks for your very interesting email below. I would dearly love to help you however my ministry forbids me from entering any business deal with partners who are not part of our faith. I am sorry but there is nothing more I can do for you.

If you ever decide to join our faith then of course I could help you both with my experience and financial support.

I wish you well in your endeavour my brother.

Blessings,

Father Hector Barnett
Financial Development - Holy Church of The Order of The Red Breast.
Old 12 December 2004, 01:40 AM
Echo
Scooby Regular

http://www.babblefish.com
Old 12 December 2004, 03:24 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

I think the wiring instructions say:

Red to green
Green to brown
Blue to F*#K

Think you need to ask the manufacturers for an English version of the instructions!!

Or......... find someone else with the same bit of kit fitted and then copy the installation off them.

Marty
Old 12 December 2004, 06:14 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
BritInJapan; Id be very interested in b) links to good conversion utilities, if you wouldnt mind. c) too actually!

Simon
LOL at the replies

OK, here are some links I use. Bear in mind that the grammatical order of Japanese is different from English, so a word by word translation will sound like gibberish. Think "yoda" and you'll have a chance

A whole load of links here

and here.

Tha Japanese have three different writing systems, katakana for words originating outside Japan (phonetic alphabet, 47 characters, 105 if you include variations and combinations), hiragana (Japanese phonetic alphabet, another 47/105 characters but different !) and kanji which are of Chinese origin. There are thousands of them!!

The kanji are the ones which look devilishly complex. The katakana and hiragana can generally be distinguished by how "angular" they are. The ones which look more curvy and written by hand, they're hiragana. The more "block capital-like" characters ore probably katakana.

I know katakan and hiragana, but just because I may be able ot read the word doesn't mean I know what it means. Also you rarely get far in any sentence without encountering some kanji, and then I'm stuffed anyway.

As for c), just check out the new year deals from Virgin, BA etc. A cheaper flight can be had from a carrier like Asianna, just a short stopover in Korea on the way.
Old 12 December 2004, 03:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Appreciated; btw, for the person who thought that Chinese and Japanese were the same/used the same characters.... It is correct in as much as that one of the four Japanese ways of writing that has to mastered, Kanjii uses Chinese characters adopted centuries ago but given a unique Japanese meaning. They may well recognise the characters but unless they read/speak Japanese they wont know what they mean in that language.

Im disappointed to note BritInJapan; that there are no links to a site similar to: www.japanesebirdslookingforlove.co.jp .....

Simon
Old 12 December 2004, 03:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive just read you reply properly now..... I understand that there are over 40,000 Kanjii characters with about 3,000 taught in schools and 2,000 selected by the state for use in books and newspapers. Mastering kanjii, Hiragana (phonetic characters used to link Kanjii ideograms), Katakana (phonetic sysyem used to write foreign words) and Romaji (which uses the Roman alphabet to write Japanese) takes so long that it adds an extra two years onto a Japanese childs education over ours!

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 12 December 2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12 December 2004, 04:42 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

I met some people from the British Embassy earlier in the year. They have to spend one year solid in a Japanese language school before they can even start work at the embassy. In addition to speaking Japanese fluently, they need to know katakana, hiragana and the first 1700 kanjii. This is regarded as the minimum to even begin their work here. Where do you begin when learning 1700 kanjii? The mind boggles. They all described that first year as "intense" !