Sponsored by:

Ran out of talent...

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2004, 01:46 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ran out of talent...

Well okay probably didn't have much in the first place Decided to take the twisty route home from work on Friday evening, there's a nice sweeping 90 degree left hand corner which I can usually take quite quickly. So slow in and then start to lay down power for the exit and without warning the backend is suddenly trying to overtake me. Caught it the first time, too much momentum is involved, and now I'm sliding sideways down the road and into the hedge, sickening scraping noises, manged to correct it again and now on the verge on the other side of the road Eventually brought it to a stop without spinning but the damage was done. I think the must have been a load of mud or diesel on the corner it was like hitting a patch of ice except it wasn't cold enough for it.

Knackered rear tyre (big dent in the sidewall)

Big dent in the back:

Now on this one the paint is intact, is it too big for one of these paintless dent removal techniques? I heard many good things about LittleKnocks.

Smaller dent in the nearside rear door:

Paint is slightly damaged on this one.

And looking generally pretty scratched:

As far as I can see all of the scratching is just on the lacquer, no deep scratches through to the paint. Could it polish out or can the lacquer be taken back and re-applied? Also alot of the black trim bits around the windows etc. have got scratched, are they replaceable?

I'm wondering if I can get it fixed without involving the insurance company but I'm really not sure how much it's going to cost Obviously I'm well gutted about having the shunt in the first place, just keep thinking how it could have been so much worse than this. I'll be treating myself to a few driver development courses / skidpan courses after it's all sorted out. Booked in for 60k service tomorrow as well

Graz
Old 05 December 2004, 01:51 PM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.

Sorry to see this mate.

I dropped a motorbike on my rear quarter. The dent was very similar to the one in your's. It cost £300 IIRC.

At least you are OK, thats the main thing (yeah right, how many people have told you that!)

Old 05 December 2004, 02:08 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

by the sounds of it, your "lack of talent" probably saved you!!!
It could have been much much worse - is the dent an actual dent or is it creased?

You may be lucky

The scratches should T-cut out (again, from the limited view from the piccies)

HTH

Dan
Old 05 December 2004, 02:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Sorry to hear about this: go and see little knocks mate; they're excellent for dings, scratches, dents etc... Nice bunch; all scooby owners and excellent prices too.

Best,
Old 05 December 2004, 04:22 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
by the sounds of it, your "lack of talent" probably saved you!!!
It could have been much much worse - is the dent an actual dent or is it creased?

You may be lucky

The scratches should T-cut out (again, from the limited view from the piccies)

HTH

Dan
I guess it would be called a dent as to me it looks like it could be pushed out easily enough. Obviously these dent repair companies have special tools and techniques for the job. Just wondering if anyone has had a dent that big repaired with the paint less technique and with no filler involved.

Anyway I've sent an email off to Little Knocks so I shall await developments.
Old 05 December 2004, 04:34 PM
jonathan.harris
Scooby Newbie

Mate, exactly the same thing happened to me. I was on my home from work, taking the exact route I have done for the past three years and ka bang:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonatha...s2/Badday1.jpg

Thankfully I didn’t involve anyone else, and the only things hurt was my car, lamp post and my belief in my driving skills.

Anyway, thought it might make you feel a little better that your not the only one. Best of luck getting it sorted, and hope it doesn’t cost too much.

Jonathan.
Old 05 December 2004, 05:47 PM
blockmonke@fsmail.net
Scooby Regular

span out fri night took the corner coming down to the local tescos to fast hit an icy patch next thing i know facing the opposite way didnt hit nothing though so lucky be careful people