ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

DBM - 52D Colour Code Touch Up Pens

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2000, 09:06 AM
PaulP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone help?

I ordered a touch up pen for my MY99 DBM Impreza Turbo. 6 months later and my dealer still hasn't got any in. They back ordered some but the computer comes up with stock frozen. The dealer has several customers who have ordered this particular colour 52D but all we have been told is to wait.

Now I would have thought that DBM was a popular colour so why have Subaru frozen the stock?

Has anyone managed to obtain a touch up pen for their car from their local dealers?
Has anyone else had similar problems?
Has anyone got a spare 52D touch up pen?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 25 July 2000, 11:25 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Paul,

recently tried to get some stone chips touched up whilst the car was in for a service.
They told me that when they mixed up the colour it was a lot lighter than the car - yet this was using the correct code (I think they said 52D)!
They were supposed to go back to the factory, but seemed to have forgotten, and I haven't bothered chasing up.
Being ever sceptical, and with all the known problems posted on this BBS with the DBM paint, maybe there are some real problems?
I'm sure everyone with a DBM would be interested to hear if there are.

Matt
Old 25 July 2000, 05:15 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Yup, I ordered some the other day as well.. got told the stock was frozen.

A well, my bro will have to put up with the chips for now. My mica red was in stock

Richie.
Old 25 July 2000, 06:04 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Speak to Jim at Cheam Subaru

jimchilds.parts@virginnet.co.uk

020-8394-2263

Tell him who sent you!

Sunil
Old 25 July 2000, 07:53 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

You could buy a whole spray can of standox paint, mixed for you while you wait for £9, by quoting your colour code , the match is perfect, you can simply spray some out into the lid and apply with a decent small brush to stone chips etc. or use the spray for larger areas such as colour coding skirts etc. last you a lifetime.
Old 25 July 2000, 09:20 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I have a small pot (with brush in the lid) of 52D (supplied in error, should have been 95H) which is unused. I get to the NE regularly (ex pat now living in Yorkshire)if you want to arrange a meet. My profile's e-mail address is valid. You can have it FOC as its no use to me.

Ken
Old 26 July 2000, 12:27 AM
Jim Childs
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Guys,
Just to put your minds at rest.
The problem with DBM paint sticks origionates
from Japan. Apparently they have got the
Formula wrong(incorrect shade).
I will advise you when the problem has been
rectified.
Many thanks
Jim
Cheam Motors
Old 26 July 2000, 12:56 AM
PaulP
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jim for the info. My dealer could not be bothered to find out why there was a delay. Shows you how good this site is when people such as yourself reply, so many thanks again.

Ken, I've contacted you through email, I don't know whether the paint you have 52D is the correct shade or not after reading Jim's reply above.

Jim is there anyway from a partnumber/serial number on Ken's paint, whether you could tell me whether this paint will be the right shade for a MY99 DBM?

Many thanks,

Paul.
Old 26 July 2000, 01:11 PM
Ian Coulter
Scooby Regular

Angry

I did manage to get a MY 99 DBM touch up stick sometime last year, but when I tried to use it, the colour turned out to be MUCH darker than the car, it looked almost black in comparison!

This is probably the reason the stock has now been frozen, but this is not a new problem!

Regards,

Ian
Old 26 July 2000, 02:35 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Don't forget that MY99 Dark Blue Mica is noticeably darker than MY00 Deep Blue Mica. Park two next to each other and you can see the difference.
Old 26 July 2000, 04:30 PM
Jim Childs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Paul,
No worries, Get me the part no off
Kens paint and I`ll clarify this for you.
Thanks
Jim
Cheam Motors
Old 26 July 2000, 11:20 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Oaul,

Picked up the e-mail. I should be in the NE next Friday all being well. We could either meet up, or maybe I could drop it off at Revolution. Whichever suits. I'll mail you about what time I'll be up there. I may nip in to see a pal of mine in Ashington late in the afternoon if that is nearer for you.

Ken
Old 27 July 2000, 02:00 PM
PaulP
Scooby Regular

Ken,

Can you add to this thread the part number so Jim can check whether it is the right colour for DBM MY99.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 27 July 2000, 05:03 PM
CraigCH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have a MY00 DBM and ordered the paint stick which came with no problems, paint code 95H (I think). When it was put on the car it was a much darker colour. I went back to the dealer to check it was the right one and they ordered another to be sure. The new one was also far too dark (looks more like dark blue mica rather than deep blue mica). The dealer then contacted Subaru uk and they said they had supplied hundreds and nobody else had complained. Are there any other MY00 DBM owners out there with a correct paint stick of this colour code.
Craig.
Old 11 August 2000, 01:00 PM
Paul P
Scooby Regular

Ken,

Just to say thanks, the paint arrived this morning so will try it out on Sunday to see if the colour matches up.

Thanks again,

Paul.
Old 11 August 2000, 01:08 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Angry

Craig, I've had exactly the same problem with my DBM MY00. The touch up paint is much darker than what is on the car...
Old 11 August 2000, 01:23 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The DBM MY00 touch up is probably so dark because if it is applied over the bare white undercoat it tends to lighten.

That's what I found when I tried substituting dark blue crayon for the "touch up" kit sold in Halfords which looked like a kids crayon to me. I needed to use a very dark colour to hide the undercoat.

This will be a temporary measure on just the worst chips until I get it done properly. I always find touch up paint makes a ***** of the paint job even worse than the chips!
Old 11 August 2000, 09:20 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Look guys, the paint is wrong inside, they've mixed it wrong from factory, Thats why all new stock is frozen....be patient until Subaru get the right ones in or ask your dealer to mix you some up in a spray from their bodyshop so you can spray it into a cap and brush it on.

Cheers