induction kits

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2004, 10:29 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink induction kits

Now then,

I have heard many conflicting reports on this subject - nearly all state they should be avoided due to possible MAF and fuelling problems

However recently I see one or two famous names offering this 'upgrade'

I dont want too much sucky noise, however if the std dumpvalve can be heard it would be a bonus - however if a cold air box is used presumably this sound is lost again

Ive got an STi PPP and it feels special to drive, however the complete lack of WRC sound effects robs you of some of the character - it isnt all about exhaust sound

A touch of dump and flutter would make the experience that bit more special (I dont mean Max Power levels of sound....)
Old 03 December 2004, 10:58 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
Now then,

I have heard many conflicting reports on this subject - nearly all state they should be avoided due to possible MAF and fuelling problems

However recently I see one or two famous names offering this 'upgrade'

I dont want too much sucky noise, however if the std dumpvalve can be heard it would be a bonus - however if a cold air box is used presumably this sound is lost again

Ive got an STi PPP and it feels special to drive, however the complete lack of WRC sound effects robs you of some of the character - it isnt all about exhaust sound

A touch of dump and flutter would make the experience that bit more special (I dont mean Max Power levels of sound....)
anybody?
Old 03 December 2004, 11:10 AM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

The GGR/RCM large K&N cone only causes a small offset in MAF, and I think Bob R has previously stated that a MAF rescaling isn't generally needed with these.

I'm using the GGR kit on my MY99 without a remap for 18 months 20,000 miles without a problem, even with the frail MY99/00 MAF sensor.

A check on deltadash +/- det cans/knocklink would be advisable with installation just to make sure it hasn't offset things too much.

Noise wise it'll be A LOT noisier with plenty of spooling noises, roar on boost and DV discharging +/- some chatter/surge depending on your DV setup.

Simon

PS some cold air ducting/removing of bonnet seals will help to get cool air to the filter without needing a cold air box.

Last edited by SiHethers; 03 December 2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03 December 2004, 11:18 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiHethers
The GGR/RCM large K&N cone only causes a small offset in MAF, and I think Bob R has previously stated that a MAF rescaling isn't generally needed with these.

I'm using the GGR kit on my MY99 without a remap for 18 months 20,000 miles without a problem, even with the frail MY99/00 MAF sensor.

A check on deltadash +/- det cans/knocklink would be advisable with installation just to make sure it hasn't offset things too much.

Noise wise it'll be A LOT noisier with plenty of spooling noises, roar on boost and DV discharging +/- some chatter/surge depending on your DV setup.

Simon

PS some cold air ducting/removing of bonnet seals will help to get cool air to the filter without needing a cold air box.
cheer

You know the boy racer air filter removed sound we all went for in our youth and have grown up to realise how naff it sounded - without wishing to be offensive - does it run the risk of sounding like that - or does all the unusual turbo and DV sounds overwhelm the nasty std hiss to such an extent it can only be described as genuinely exciting?! - If so, could it be silenced a little whilst still retaining the character? - Did I see Bob Rawle or someone developing a cold air box to enclose cone and port through wing?
Old 03 December 2004, 11:22 AM
duSTI
Scooby Regular

I have fitted an APS cold air induction kit to mine, the model I have is specifically for the Blobeye.

The MAF isn't a problem but make sure when ordering that you tell them the specific model of your car.

See here for details: http://www.g-force-motorsport.co.uk/...r_intakes.html

Jim
Old 03 December 2004, 11:26 AM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Easiest way is to hear with ones own ears. There is a lot of hissing, akin to a jet engine turbine, but combined with a good exhaust sound I don't find it too intrusive.

The DV discharging and chatter I get on the other hand...

I would say it is definately a matter of taste.

Most kits that move the filter to the wing require a remap/MAF rescale. I'm sure a bit of DIY boxing in would quieten it a little.

Where abouts are you? I'm happy to let you experience mine.

Edited to add duSTI, did you get a remap. I wouldn't fit an APS cold air kit without one as they seriously offset the MAF.

Last edited by SiHethers; 03 December 2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03 December 2004, 05:19 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

lol

my 93 wrx sound like a jet its one of the things i loved when i baught it. that and the 4wd grip.

Trending Topics

Old 03 December 2004, 05:23 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

There's a cheap way to try out the sound - remove the intake resonator from the wing, and put a short length of 3" pipe into the standard airbox (couple of quid from B&Q if you don't already have any). O.K. to try things out - you still draw cold air (from the wing) through the standard airbox and panel filter.

Personally, I didn't like it. The dumpvalve noise was fine, the sucking noises at 2-4k weren't. I've always prefer fairly quiet when chugging around town, but nice noises when you give it some stick - hence the APS exhaust system too.
Old 03 December 2004, 05:34 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

My induction kit made the inlet temps go up by 14 degrees. It was removed when the car was mapped and changed to a green cotton filter and the temp went down 14 degrees. So on my car the induction kit didnt work MY03 STi
Old 03 December 2004, 07:08 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a few cuts and fitted the an induction kit into the wing. I have also two temp sensors, 1 on the front of the car and 1 on the air filter itself. Generally, only a 4 degree difference. Unless i'm at the lights for a couple of minutes then it goes off the chart.

I have a cold feed up into the wing also.