Scooby reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2004, 10:32 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Scooby reliability?

Hi all

After selling the scoob in August i have now seen the errors of my way and want back in!!
When i brought the scoob i had major reliability problems with the big ends going about 6 months into my ownership. It was a 93 wrx which i brought from an import garage with, for some reason, no history!!!!!!!!

So i was asking for trouble. Got them done and they went again so got a new engine in and i must admit, the difference was amazing!! But she had to go to make the money up for the deposit on a house, which, we didnt buy in the end!!
So the deal is that im allowed one more 'sports car' before we build some kids and ive settled on the type R sti, not sure which yet. (5/6)
To get to the point, did i buy a complete shed? Everyone says that scoobs are very reliable and i guess i got a bad egg. I really want one again, shes not so sure. I must admit, after the engine change the enjoyment of driving it went out the window as you sh*t yourself at every rattle and weird noise. I dont want that again.
I will get it remapped to english fuel and upgrade the oil pump and crank. I learnt the hard way and there isnt many shell garages near me!!

Sorry for the long thread!!!!

PLEASE REASURE ME!!

Johnny
Old 24 November 2004, 11:10 PM
whitescooby 330
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Johnny sti
Hi all

After selling the scoob in August i have now seen the errors of my way and want back in!!
When i brought the scoob i had major reliability problems with the big ends going about 6 months into my ownership. It was a 93 wrx which i brought from an import garage with, for some reason, no history!!!!!!!!

So i was asking for trouble. Got them done and they went again so got a new engine in and i must admit, the difference was amazing!! But she had to go to make the money up for the deposit on a house, which, we didnt buy in the end!!
So the deal is that im allowed one more 'sports car' before we build some kids and ive settled on the type R sti, not sure which yet. (5/6)
To get to the point, did i buy a complete shed? Everyone says that scoobs are very reliable and i guess i got a bad egg. I really want one again, shes not so sure. I must admit, after the engine change the enjoyment of driving it went out the window as you sh*t yourself at every rattle and weird noise. I dont want that again.
I will get it remapped to english fuel and upgrade the oil pump and crank. I learnt the hard way and there isnt many shell garages near me!!

Sorry for the long thread!!!!

PLEASE REASURE ME!!

Johnny
mate ive had my my96 jap sti for 12 months now and i still get the same buzz as when i 1st got and no problems what so ever so go for it u wont regret it
Old 24 November 2004, 11:16 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

play safe and buy a uk
with fsh
still great to drive and can check the history
Old 24 November 2004, 11:20 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I had my UK for 6 months, in which time it melted a piston... Requiring a large warranty claim of around £5k IIRC.

Sold it on a few months ago, and heard that the engine went again in it, along with the gearbox. Another warranty claim later and the thing is getting sold on by its new owner now.

Was running a full exhaust system, thats it!!!

Cheers,
Grant

Edit - It is a MY99 4dr that I bought from a Subaru Main Dealer, with 68k miles and FSH.. Sold with 78k.. Currently on circa 85k.

Last edited by RS Grant; 24 November 2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 24 November 2004, 11:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Virtually all Japanese cars do not have a conventional 'service history' with a completed book. All service records are computerised; there is no culture of home maintenance and most importanly; if the car hasnt been correctly maintained a dealer wont part exchange it, which is necessary, as you can only have a car if you have a police inspected parking space for it. Combined; all of this means that Japanese cars are extremely well maintained compared to our cars of a similar age. The majority of 'poor' cars come from docks auctions; they are frequently low auction grade cars but the auction sheets are never there..... Nor are the oil change & cam belt change stickers either.

Simon
Old 24 November 2004, 11:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The majority of big-end failures are due to poor oil & filter change technique shortly before they occur; rather than being a legacy of poor maintenance in the past. Another common cause of failure, that has nothing to do with maintenance, is pre-ignition; which can also cause the bearings to fail: although this usually destroys the piston crown first.

Simon
Old 24 November 2004, 11:34 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

STi v3 owned 5+ yrs, 40k miles. Full decat and k&n. service it myself and it's been run on 95 ron since I bought it (no SUL where I live). Regular trips to the redline and biggest expense to date is a new battery....I've owned Subaru's for 10+ yrs and am still amazed at the reliability.
Old 25 November 2004, 12:34 AM
Ian P.
Scooby Regular

Can also vouch the same, reliability has never been a problem. had loads of scoobs over the years and never had one glitch!
Have a very low milage mint type R coming up for sale in the near future if your interested
Old 25 November 2004, 01:44 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Never had a glitch with my sti.

Dipster
Old 25 November 2004, 09:08 AM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Virtually all Japanese cars do not have a conventional 'service history' with a completed book. All service records are computerised; there is no culture of home maintenance and most importanly; if the car hasnt been correctly maintained a dealer wont part exchange it, which is necessary, as you can only have a car if you have a police inspected parking space for it. Combined; all of this means that Japanese cars are extremely well maintained compared to our cars of a similar age. The majority of 'poor' cars come from docks auctions; they are frequently low auction grade cars but the auction sheets are never there..... Nor are the oil change & cam belt change stickers either.

Simon
Which is exactly where my car came from, an auction in N Ireland!!

Ian P keep me posted. Still not sure when im 'allowed' to get one but a type R it will be!!

So is it best to pay a bit extra and get an import from places like Newera etc... dedicated import companies?

Johnny
Old 25 November 2004, 05:32 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

i sometimes get a prob with my 93 wrx, choke sometimes dicky (comes in when not needed). happend 2times in 4months.