Sponsored by:

UK WRX runs on 95 or Super only

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2004, 10:13 PM
driverst24
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK WRX runs on 95 or Super only

I thinking of getting a WRX (UK), does it run on 95 or Super octane petrol ?

Is an import version any different ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
Old 24 November 2004, 10:16 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

can run on either but best to run high octane fuels - e.g optimax - jap imports really need ocatane booster as well as Opti - as are mapped for it
Old 24 November 2004, 10:19 PM
pin777
Scooby Regular

dont run it on 95ron (it will run ****)

use optimax or bp ultimate (similar)

no need to use octain booster on uk car
Old 25 November 2004, 08:06 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

An UK WRX will run fine without problems on UL. You'll get slightly more MPG on SUL but can easily use the extra range but the variability in MPG based on driving will be a bigger difference.
Old 25 November 2004, 10:34 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

It depends also on the way you drive.

Most of us use the performance but have some respect and mechanical sympathy for the car.

Some people do not and thrash the living daylights out of these cars, like redlining the think with the temp gauge still on "C". Yes, it does happen.

While a UK car CAN run quite happily on 95 octane around town and having the odd squirt of power, for very hard driving on road or track or if you are a regular high speed cruiser I would say 95 is insufficient even on a UK car.

We have rebuilt several UK engines on relatively standard cars which have expired due to a combination of 95 RON and 1XX mph speeds.

At these high cruising speeds there is a higher risk of engine damage on low octane fuel.

For the difference in price I would not even hesitate to run SUL/Optimax on UK cars all the time as opposed to NUL. At the end of the day you are driving a performance car, not a repmobile.

There are however people who will say, "I use NUL all the time and never have a problem", fair enough but then again there are also people who say "I smoke 40 a day and have done for 15 years and I'm not dead".

I personally prefer not to smoke
Old 25 November 2004, 10:49 AM
mgg
Scooby Regular

I have had my first Subaru (MY02 WRX) just over two weeks now. In that time ive experimented a bit with it. Run a full tank on 97RON......it goes great, pulls when it should and has great pick up.
Then i contemplated running a tank of 95RON, but didnt have the ***** to 'upset' the car. So i run a tank of 1/2 97RON and 1/2 95RON..........I noticed the difference straight away.......the car didnt pull as well, had slight hesitation at times and MPG was naff.
I wouldnt ever consider using 95RON fuel after trying 1/2 and 1/2.

We all look after our cars on the outside, clean and polish them regular, so why not look after them where it matters......the engine. Use 97RON.
Old 25 November 2004, 11:10 AM
New_scooby_04

Rich: Quite!!! :-)

Basically, you get out what you put it! You're thinking of buying a performance car, so have to be prepared to accept bigger bills. I'm sure the cars will run on regular UL, but equally sure they'll perform better on super UL, preferably optimax. This petrol also has the advantage of detergents that will keep your internals clean.

Best.
Old 25 November 2004, 11:40 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Personally I noticed no difference on my old MY00 between normal 95 Ron Unleaded and Super Unleaded. I even went to the trouble of resetting the ECU after filling with Super Unleaded and still I didn't notice a difference.

To be honest with you I think it is a placebo effect but if people are convinced it makes a difference then that in itself is enough to warrant the slight extra cost.
Old 25 November 2004, 12:49 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JoeyDeacon
Personally I noticed no difference on my old MY00 between normal 95 Ron Unleaded and Super Unleaded. I even went to the trouble of resetting the ECU after filling with Super Unleaded and still I didn't notice a difference.

To be honest with you I think it is a placebo effect but if people are convinced it makes a difference then that in itself is enough to warrant the slight extra cost.
Who says you have to "notice" a difference?

Using SUL isn't going to give you 20bhp extra, so it's not something you really CAN notice in the same way you would, say a decat.

But, fit a knocklink or wear a set of det cans, wind up the boost a little and you'll certainly notice the difference, because with one your engine will still work, whereas with the other it won't.

RON rating is purely a measure of the fuel's resistance to detonation, and using the higher rating is more for SAFETY than for added performance.

As I said above, we rebuild engines regularly, even on standard cars where the engine has expired following 140mph blasts on NUL. If you are going to drive like that, using SUL is going to save you a £2000 engine bill.

I run a near 400bhp UK car with Optimax and booster always, not for a performance advantage, but because if I didn't, the engine would do an impression of a grenade.