Sponsored by:

24 hour test drive - not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2004, 02:05 PM
Andy_1271
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24 hour test drive - not impressed

I'm none too impressed with the service I'm getting from Subaru in trying to book myself a 24-hour test drive in the new 2.5 Forester XT. I used the online booking service last week and got the 'you will be contacted in two hours' message.
Tuesday I phoned them up as I hadn't heard anything and was told that I would be contacted by friday (19th). Friday came and went, still nothing so I've phoned again today and gort another 'you will ne contacted' line from the [erson on the phone.

Has anyone else been having this trouble..?
Old 22 November 2004, 02:28 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Nope they got straight back to me and said I had to speak to a dealer
Old 22 November 2004, 04:34 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I have heard **** all off them.

I requested early december for a test drive and no one has contacted me at all
just goes to show how much they want your business
Old 22 November 2004, 04:46 PM
sunsh
Scooby Newbie

went straight to the local dealer myself, to bypass the inevitable aggravation with web booking / automated phone system & found the arrangement isn't quite what they originally cracked it up to be. the car is only available from monday to thursday and has a mileage limit of 80 miles - so much for the "take it to cornwall for the weekend" per the ads in the broadsheets
Old 22 November 2004, 05:02 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Yup - placed a request 10 days ago. Heard f*ck all..... Truly crap - complete misrepresentation.
Old 22 November 2004, 05:56 PM
eric Scofield
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Harry_Boy
Yup - placed a request 10 days ago. Heard f*ck all..... Truly crap - complete misrepresentation.
They actually came back to me about 5 or 6 days later and took more details then called back shortly with an available car - they did say it was only available from 9-5 cos the dealer closed Sundays ..

Next day a confirmation email came through with additional info ..

Turned up at 9 am 20 miles from where I live having deliberately kept the whole day free etc etc ..

The guys at the dealership had no idea who I was - were not exactly complimentary about this new idea of Subarus' and apologised that their demo WRX was "out for the day" .... It also transpired that the dealer IS open on Sundays - it's just that one of their staff uses the demo for his own personal use and therefore they couldn't allow it out for the full 24 hours ..

The dealership did however book me in for the 9 hour test drive in a couple of weeks so it wasnt a complete waste of time I guess ...

Subaru should really sort themselves out a bit I believe they out sourced the organisation for this little project to another agency who apparently don't know a scooby from a speedy gonzales ...
Old 22 November 2004, 07:34 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

If the reality doesnt match the advert complain to the Advertising standards authority.
Old 22 November 2004, 08:02 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
If the reality doesnt match the advert complain to the Advertising standards authority.
Just what I was thinking. Because the promise doesn't equate with the reality.
Old 22 November 2004, 08:15 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Had mine within 4 days
Old 22 November 2004, 09:59 PM
Scrappydoo2003
Scooby Regular

Filled in the online form weeks ago.. heard nothing until Sunday ( when I was sleeping off nights too ) when they rang to take some more details... one question was ' how far are you willing to travel to test drive the car?' I said 60 miles which encompasses both my dealers in South Wales and maybe across the water..

Anyway an hour later they rang back saying no dealers in my area were test driving STi's and the only car they could do was a WRX in Bristol.. I said NO THANKS and went back to bed... Not because I'm a test pilot, if it was the dealer in Cardiff I may of said yes..
It should have been made clearer that just because it was on the national Subaru site, it wasn't neccesarily going to happen if it was a Dealership voluntary participation event only... still feel a bit let down.. They wanted a £500 excess deposit to start with as well..! With my clean license and faultless 16 year insurance history and being a sensible 34 years old( well.. sort of sensible), I'd of thought I'd have been a good bet...
A big Swizz in my opinion...!

On a more positive note it's saved me a lot of money.. because knowing me after having one for 24 hours, I'd have wanted one...
Old 22 November 2004, 10:27 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Wink

My local dealer has phoned me a couple of times asking me when I want to take the MY05 sti for the 24 hr test drive. I could have also had the forester 2.5 xt about a month ago on the 24hr test(But the wife needs auto, so it looks like another 2.0 litre turbo.
Highly recommend the guys at jennings subaru, middlesbrough.
They keep me informed and ask me when I want to do things at my convenience.
Jt
Old 23 November 2004, 08:16 AM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Well heres what it says

If you're planning on test driving a Subaru, make sure you get the car you're looking to buy by requesting an extended test drive from one of our participating dealers. We believe that the usual 30 minutes is often not enough to really do justice to the unique style, poise and balance of a Subaru vehicle.

An extended test drive will truly allow you to appreciate the many qualities of a Subaru, encouraging you to try it in several different environments and on a variety of different roads.

To start your journey, click here or speak to our call centre on 08708 502503. Your request will be picked up by one of our professional Subaru staff and managed from inception right through to the point that you arrive at the Subaru Dealership.
Once you've driven a Subaru simply nothing else will do.

Before making your request, please read the following Terms and Conditions

The Dealer will at all times retain the right to refuse to provide an extended test drive and is under no obligation to offer an explanation for this decision.

Period of Test Drive
In the majority of cases the Test Drive will be for a period of 24 hours, but may be extended for a period not exceeding 48 hours, at the Dealer's discretion. Be advised that Dealer opening hours vary considerably.
The vehicle will at all times remain the property of the Dealer and that notwithstanding the "date due back" the Dealer may demand the return of the vehicle at any time. The Customer must return the vehicle upon such a demand being made or the Dealer may repossess the vehicle.
The Dealer may impose a mileage limit and charge an excess for every mile exceeding this.

Provision of specific vehicles
Participating Dealers run a full complement of Demonstration vehicles. The demand placed on these by the large number of customers for which a typical Subaru dealership will cater, requires flexibility on the part of the Customer. The Dealer may not be able to guarantee a specific trim level, engine size, transmission or colour but will, in all cases, strive to provide the model of choice.
Customers interested in driving an Impreza WRX or STi will have an initial appointment made for them by the call centre, rather than a confirmed extended test drive. The Dealer will then discuss the options available to the customer and further qualify their needs. At extended test drive will only be provided at the Dealer's discretion.

Insurance Cover provided
Comprehensive cover is provided in respect of the test drive period and covers only customers authorised to drive by the participating Dealer. The Dealer will take a credit card deposit of £500 (minimum) to cover the mandatory excess on the vehicle.

Number of permitted drivers
The number of drivers permitted to drive is restricted to two named drivers only and who have entered into an Agreement with the participating Dealer, which incorporates an Insurance Proposal. Please note that the driving of a vehicle by someone other than the authorised person will invalidate the insurance cover.

Driving Licence & Additional Identification
Please note that Customers must provide an ORIGINAL driving licence (a photocopy, fax or scan will not be acceptable).
In addition, a passport and recent utility bill will be required to confirm the identity and address of the customer and additional driver. Customers with one of the new "photo card" licences must also bring the paper counterpart.
Your Dealer will retain copies of all documents and may reserve the right to take a photograph of both customer and additional driver.

Agreement / Insurance Proposal
It is a mandatory requirement that the Dealer asks certain questions about Customer's and additional driver's own Insurance history. Provision of a vehicle will be subject to the responses given and the Dealer may be required to refer to the Insurers for clearance.
The customer will be required to enter in to an Agreement with the participating Dealer, which incorporates an Insurance Proposal, which must be accepted. In the event there is an additional driver a separate Driver Proposal must be completed and accepted.

Age Restrictions
The following standard age limitations are applicable to all customers wishing to take extended test drives in vehicles other than Impreza WRX and WRX STi, Forester XT 2.5 and Legacy 3.0R spec. B.

Age 25 - 70
A full UK licence must have been held for a minimum of ONE year

The standard age limitations are applicable to all customers wishing to take extended test drives in Impreza WRX and WRX STi, Forester XT 2.5 litre and Legacy 3.0R spec. B vehicles.
Age 30 – 65
A full UK licence must have been held for a minimum of TWO years

Licence Endorsements
Customers and additional driver who produce a licence with endorsements will be subject to acceptance at the discretion of our Insurer.

Accident / Claim history
Where a customer and/or additional driver have been involved in an accident/claim in the last three years the Dealer may require you to detail the circumstances of the accident/incident.

Use of the Vehicles
Social Domestic and Pleasure and Business use by the customer.

Excluded Use
Carriage of passengers for hire or reward
Racing, pace making, rallies, trials or speed testing and off road
Towing of any kind unless previously agreed by the Dealer

Fuel
Vehicles must be returned with the same amount of fuel in the tank as at the time of collection. The Dealer reserves the right to charge the customer a "top-up" fee, taken from the refundable deposit.

Driver Responsibility
Drivers should take good care of the vehicle and observe the stipulations of the Highway Code and Road Traffic Act at all times. Drivers have a responsibility to the Dealer and wider community to drive in a considerate and careful manner. Vehicles returned in an unacceptable condition may incur a valeting charge, taken from the refundable deposit.

Occupations
It is not possible to provide cover in respect of every occupation. It will be necessary to establish to customer and additional driver’s occupation to establish that it is not excluded by the Insurer. Occupations excluded have been categorised as: -
Entertainment or the Theatre
Professional sports
Racing
Gambling
On course Bookmakers

Vehicles Covered
The policy covers vehicles owned by the participating Dealer which form part of their demonstration stock and/or vehicles loaned to the Dealer by Subaru (UK) Ltd used in conjunction with the Test Drive Programme.

Foreign Travel
There is no provision of cover for vehicles to travel abroad during the period of the Test Drive. This includes travel to Northern Ireland.

Liability for charges
The Customer shall be liable as the owner of the vehicle in respect of:
Any fixed penalty offence committed in respect of that vehicle under the Road Traffic Offenders Act or Road Traffic Act
Any excess charge which may be incurred in respect of that vehicle under the Road Traffic Regulation Act or Road Traffic Act
Any financial penalty or charge which may be demanded by any person, corporation or authority as a result of the vehicle having been parked or left upon land
Congestion charge
Old 23 November 2004, 09:21 AM
Andy_1271
Scooby Regular

I had a message on my answerphone last night, they've sorted me out now(1 online request and 2 x phone calls). I just need to call them back to confirm, although I'll probably speak to the dealer as well just to make sure...got a result in the end
Old 26 November 2004, 04:32 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Well - just spoken to the supervisor at the call centre that's been tasked with handling the IM marketing debacle....

He says that in my area (Yorkshire) most of the dealers are NOT participating, so I'd fall foul of the mileage restrictions as soon as I collected the damned thing.

Moreover, no-one seems to want to part with their demonstrator Spec B for a lowly customer. After all, every business knowns they're not important, are they?

Apparently, according to the call centre chap, IM are looking regularly at ScoobyNet so they can canvass opinions on whether or not this has been a good marketing campaign.

If so, I think they should know - First Rule of Marketing - Deliver Your Promises...
Old 26 November 2004, 04:42 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Well if they're looking

I filled in the form yesterday and I'm now waiting to be contacted

I'm a 40+ MY01 owner who *may* want to change car next year. If I do I'd seriously consider a new STI or Regacy (sic ). A test drive would help in the process.
Old 26 November 2004, 05:53 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

It seems to me that this is something of a disaster.

All well and good advertising that virtually every Subaru model is available for an extended test drive for suitable customers (of which I am one - 42 yo, existing Impreza owner, looking to change shortly), then having no one preprared to lend you a car in your area...

Nearly as silly as offering free flights with every vacuum cleaner....

Tempted to call Autocar and get them to pop a story in...
Old 29 November 2004, 07:42 PM
bigfish
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Andy_1271
I'm none too impressed with the service I'm getting from Subaru in trying to book myself a 24-hour test drive in the new 2.5 Forester XT. I used the online booking service last week and got the 'you will be contacted in two hours' message.
Tuesday I phoned them up as I hadn't heard anything and was told that I would be contacted by friday (19th). Friday came and went, still nothing so I've phoned again today and gort another 'you will ne contacted' line from the [erson on the phone.

Has anyone else been having this trouble..?
Only certain dealers are taking part in the scheme!!