Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane Boost..Fact or Fiction ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2000, 03:58 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using super unleaded fuel in my version 6 sti, now covered 900 miles, I beleive uk fuel rated at around 97 whereas in japan the fuel is 100 octane...using the car normally ie; out and about, no track use, do I need to start using an octane boost supplement to bring it up to 100 octane ??? been to R.E Performance centre in Bury, Lancs today and saw a 97 sti on the ramps having a new engine coz evidently gave major piston trouble and this according to their ken was due to low rated fuel !....scary....
Old 07 August 2000, 04:08 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Mellow old boy!

I would certainly recommend Octane Plus (MIllers) from Scoobymania. I have started using it in my WRX with Super and I am very pleased with the results - namely, more pull and a much smoother engine overall! Plus at least 5-10% better fuel economy!

Give Mike or Gavin a ring @ Scoobymania on 0115 913 3199.

Cheers,

Jon.
Old 07 August 2000, 04:12 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Being the least technical person in the world, I wouldn't take what I am saying as anything other than ramblings! but...

I took my V4 Type R to Powerstation who stuck it on the rollers. They had to abort the runs because of detting...

I started running it on Millers Octane booster, supplied by ScoobyMania, and have to say, I am surprised at the results...

It took about a tank before I noticed (maybe the ecu takes time to adjust??), but the car runs MUCH smoother now, there is more torque (although slight), and the car just feels a lot more solid when accelerating and particularly at high revs.

It may be my imagination, but I also think my economy has improved (although I am spending an extra 3 odd quid a tank), so it probably hasn't.

I Always fill up with super including a bottle of Millers now.

Cheers

Simon
Old 07 August 2000, 04:28 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah Simon, economy ain't the point, as you say it costs another £3, but I certainly have a longer range now, which is great when you consider how few and far apart stations selling SUL are!
Cheers
Chuck
Old 07 August 2000, 04:46 PM
Roastie
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mellow Yellow !:
<B>do I need to start using an octane boost supplement to bring it up to 100 octane ??? [/quote]

Yes you do!

In SA until recently we only had 91 octane, more recently 93. Even tho' the Imprezas (standard turbos) imported to here had 95 chips, they suffered major problems with detonation and burning holes through pistons. I've recently had the Prodrive upgrade done on my car, and everyone tells me that I need to run octane booster.

The upside is that the car flies. Especially the off boost pickup, which is a lot better and smoother.
Old 07 August 2000, 04:49 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mellow,

I started running octane booster in my STI V5 Type R, and there is a definite increase in performance and most importantly, piece of mind. I would recommend trying Millier as it seems to be the one to use. I have tried Aldon and Pro Boost, and they seem pretty much equal.

Matt
Old 07 August 2000, 04:58 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

I imagine Octane Booster is a must for hard driven Jap Spec Cars (i.e. WRX and STI models).

Out of interest I fed my UK spec MY00 with a can millers before my trip to Cambridge this morning (just add full tank of 97RON SUL afterwards ). I did this to try and get the ECU into 'treated fuel' before donington on friday.

Now I know UK cars don't seem to suffer from fueling problems on the std. ECU and map but I thought it would make an interesting experiment.

I can safely say after 150 miles the car seems to be running much smoother with the booster in the fuel. It also seems much happier at over 5000 RPM to the red line.

97 (ish) RON fuel + Millers Octane Booster would give approx 99 RON.

Can any of the ECU techies suggest how long the std. JECS ECU would take to advance the ignition etc. to take into account this new fuel (if at all) ?

Cheers

Ian
Old 07 August 2000, 05:01 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Cool

I also run with a bottle of Millers Octane Plus in my Type R. After putting it in i can only agree with everyone else, improved power and a general sense of security, knowing that it is only doing good.
Also i`m only getting one green light on my Knocklink sensor, even when accelerating hard, which has got to be good!
Give Mike a ring at Scoobymania and he`ll sort you out.

Paul
Old 07 August 2000, 05:27 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Paul,

Where are you in Warwickshire?

Matt
Old 07 August 2000, 06:09 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Do any of you chaps have any personal experience of 'Wynn's' octan 10+. From the description on the label it does the same job as Millers.
Would it be compatible with cat and non cat cars??
Only asking because my local Texaco garage sells it!
Old 08 August 2000, 09:40 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree completley with all the comments above. I wish I had done this al long time ago.

Better pick-up
Smoother Engine
More Power/Tourque (feels more urgent)
PEACE OF MIND !
I get at least 26mpg. I got 290 miles out of a tank, filled up with 9 litres left.

Dave
Old 08 August 2000, 10:03 AM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

would broquet have the same affect as the millers,
Old 08 August 2000, 06:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Broquet will improve the combustion process and allow an engine to run well on a slightly lower octane than it would otherwise require. We supply many Broquet units to performance cars that really want a decent octane but run as well with Broquet on 95 RON unleaded (i.e. without performance loss). I would say try Broquet and 95 RON but by all means try SUL and/or Millers or similar and see if any improvement over and above that resulting from addition of Broquet is noticeable. David who posted above uses Broquet, Millers and SUL and gets 26 mpg with an engine that runs really well which can't be bad. Broquet does have the advantage of being a one-off, unlike additives which you have to keep tipping in.
DL (Broquet Distributor 01403 823507).

[This message has been edited by David Lock (edited 08 August 2000).]
Old 08 August 2000, 11:17 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Matt Oz

I`m Atherstone way.......but closer to Tamworth......

Paul
Old 09 August 2000, 05:21 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Paul,

Are you up for this meet that Harj and the like are organising? See midlands section on bbs

Matt