Sponsored by:

curious?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2004, 06:05 PM
ali_j
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default curious?

well out of Curiosity i want to knwo if anyones managed to register a type r in the u.k after those new laws in july.
Old 21 November 2004, 09:24 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well Im importing my Type-R from Cyprus to the UK early next year. Ive never heard of this!
Old 21 November 2004, 11:47 PM
ali_j
Scooby Regular

i don't know about from cyprus but from japan you definately need a model report to register it and they have none at the moment and none for the sti. there are rumours for the 5 door sti but i ahevn't been able to find one.
Old 22 November 2004, 08:34 AM
reallydontknow
Scooby Newbie

i got a type R from japan, but i got it through a garage.But was registered ok.
Old 22 November 2004, 07:25 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Question

Well my Type-R is from Singapore originally (from Japan before?) and I will be getting it SVA'd in Cyprus before I take it back. I hear you can hire model reports. Can anybody shed light on this topic?
Will I have problems?

Last edited by CyprusScooby; 22 November 2004 at 07:28 PM.
Old 23 November 2004, 04:35 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Anybody shed any light on this?

By,
One worried Tye-R owner.
Old 23 November 2004, 04:49 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

AFAIK,

nobody has had a model report done for any 2 door scoob and until someone gets one done... you aint bringing one back to the UK (actually you will be able to, you just wont be able to register it IE: drive it on public roads). I would try and speak to GC8 on here, he gave some advice to me and really seems to know what he's on about. I've been lucky and just got mine from a garage that had pre-registered the car prior to the law changing but took their time bringing it over...

Im not sure what the situation is with regards to bringing one back from Cyprus, although I suppose if you are getting SVA'd in Cyprus, it will just be classed as an EU car anyway and may be able to get round it that way...?

Good luck!

J

Last edited by Jay_bee; 23 November 2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 23 November 2004, 07:17 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Jay_bee
AFAIK,

nobody has had a model report done for any 2 door scoob and until someone gets one done... you aint bringing one back to the UK (actually you will be able to, you just wont be able to register it IE: drive it on public roads). I would try and speak to GC8 on here, he gave some advice to me and really seems to know what he's on about. I've been lucky and just got mine from a garage that had pre-registered the car prior to the law changing but took their time bringing it over...

Im not sure what the situation is with regards to bringing one back from Cyprus, although I suppose if you are getting SVA'd in Cyprus, it will just be classed as an EU car anyway and may be able to get round it that way...?

Good luck!

J
whos GC8? and how do I get in touch with him?

I'm well worried now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23 November 2004, 10:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ali_j
i don't know about from cyprus but from japan you definately need a model report to register it and they have none at the moment and none for the sti. there are rumours for the 5 door sti but i ahevn't been able to find one.
Ali; all Model Reports are compiled by the ministry (and then held by them; the report itself never leaves) from comparison test data. They ask if youd like to make it available for rent by third parties..... if you contact the ministry they will be able to tell you EXACTLY whats available.

Some 'Type Rs' will have been registered as the first ones where built and registered in 1996 (Septemeber onwards) so theyll only need an E-SVA.

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 23 November 2004 at 10:17 PM. Reason: innit?
Old 23 November 2004, 10:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Jay; Ive only just seen what youd said.
Old 23 November 2004, 10:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

CyprusScooby; Ive posted on your thread already; I cant see you having a problem so long as the vehicle is registered in an EU country; regristration will be straightforward needing nothing more than an MOT and money. I dont know how long youve owned the vehicle for but it will proboably count as a 'personal import' which would be registered without the need for a model report (Im not certain about this as none of the cars Ive imported were personal imports). The only possible problem that I can foresee is if your vehicle was registered in Cyprus before they joined the EU, but if it qualifies as a personal import then that wouldnt be relevant. (Btw: a personal import is a car that youve owned for a specified minimum period of time whilst you were a resident in the country)

Simon
Old 23 November 2004, 10:34 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by GC8
CyprusScooby; Ive posted on your thread already; I cant see you having a problem so long as the vehicle is registered in an EU country; regristration will be straightforward needing nothing more than an MOT and money. I dont know how long youve owned the vehicle for but it will proboably count as a 'personal import' which would be registered without the need for a model report (Im not certain about this as none of the cars Ive imported were personal imports). The only possible problem that I can foresee is if your vehicle was registered in Cyprus before they joined the EU, but if it qualifies as a personal import then that wouldnt be relevant. (Btw: a personal import is a car that youve owned for a specified minimum period of time whilst you were a resident in the country)

Simon
Thanks mate. You've thankfully reassured me! I was starting to panic before. I bought the car just over a month ago and the car was registered AFTER Cyprus joined the EU. (Cyprus joined the EU on 1st May 04!)
Thanks once again.
Old 23 November 2004, 10:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im starting to wonder how difficult and expensive itd be to take a car to Cyprus and then register it; Ive been tempted by some very cheap STI 4 Type R's in auction recently...... Id be grateful if you could tell me whats involved for regristration; compliance testing and residence/insurance requirements.

Simon
Old 23 November 2004, 11:03 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Im starting to wonder how difficult and expensive itd be to take a car to Cyprus and then register it; Ive been tempted by some very cheap STI 4 Type R's in auction recently...... Id be grateful if you could tell me whats involved for regristration; compliance testing and residence/insurance requirements.

Simon
I know registrating a car here can be abit of a nightmare. Anything involving dealing with the locals here requires a great deal of paticience (-cant spell today!). Are the cars in auction here? I'm not sure what you mean? Remember that some areas of the island are classed as Sovereign British Territory so you could move a car from the UK to the UK area of Cyprus. So it would still be in the UK, in principle! You would have to deal with HM Customs though.
Because Cyprus has now joined the EU, cars here now have to have an MOT. They are also taxed as per the engine size. (same principle as the UK).
Because Im not a Cypriot National, I was able to purchase my Scooby Tax Free!
Old 24 November 2004, 11:19 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Originally Posted by GC8
Thanks for that Jay; Ive only just seen what youd said.
No probs

J