Sponsored by:

Hi folks me new scoobynet

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2004, 12:39 PM
Nay_k47
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi folks me new scoobynet

Just thought i would introduce my self i live in birmingham, my name is nathan drive an astra 1.6 sxi 51plate, im 20yrs old.

Looking to get me a scoob next year when im 21 but atter reading through some of the threads was wondering what are the most common problems with scoobs. Seems to me like the engines dont seem to last very long is that because they are built like it or is because people miss use them.

I would love one but dont really wanna wont exspensive problems with one once i have.

cheers guys
Old 21 November 2004, 01:10 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

welcome to scoobynet....... depends how they are/have been treated mainly as with most cars. drive too hard( like me) and gearboxes tend to disappear.......
Old 21 November 2004, 01:27 PM
Nay_k47
Scooby Newbie

cheers m8 what scoob you got then m8? was just looking on autotrader too see what i could afford. wanna spend about 7k no more really because of insurance as well.
Old 21 November 2004, 01:31 PM
rfowler
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi, Welcome mate, Let me tell you i am 23 and have driven 200sx touring, mr2 turbo and now on my second scooby and believe me you wont find a better drive and mean machine like this in any car well in that price range. i have m plate wrx and believe me its still a head turner and beat MOST cars in a race, PLUS THE LADIES LOVE THEM. The problem which you might have is wear and tear use like clutch or gearbox engine will only go if you totally red line it all the time and rip it in every gear and that is STUPID. Just generall turbo things have to look out for like oil leaks mate gear and clutch most engines if looked aftered change oil every 3 months and run on optimax and a full service every year and thats you done. BUY ONE, YOU WONT REGREAT IT. TRUST ME I AM GETTING LAID EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT..LOL only jokeing about that. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 21 November 2004, 01:32 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

used to have a uk97 before the tuscan altho after a few g/b's then an engine i fitted P1 everything but im sure you will get a lovely car for that money just means searching a few and the perfect one will turn up.
Old 21 November 2004, 01:33 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Welcome Nathan
Old 21 November 2004, 01:40 PM
Johnhowell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nay_k47
Looking to get me a scoob next year when im 21 but atter reading through some of the threads was wondering what are the most common problems with scoobs. Seems to me like the engines dont seem to last very long is that because they are built like it or is because people miss use them.
Nathan:
There are many people on this site with over 100k miles on their cars - usually only the bad cases appear here. The early cars have weak big end bearings which if the car is abused will cause problems - others can fill in with technical details. I doubt a car that was top of JDPower surveys for years in a row can be classed as riddled with problems.

I have a MY00 turbo - bought from new with over 45k on it now, the only problem was the alarm bracket fractured which was replaced under warrenty. I allow the car to warm up before enjoying the drive and then always allow it to cool down the last couple of miles before stopping.

At present I am in Qatar and am thoroughly missing the car - which is only in standard spec. I was starting to think the Impreza was slow, but after driving a Toyota Echo 1.5 Automatic for the past few weeks I now know what slow is - I have to look in the mirror more for faster cars ploughing up my ****!

Get a car that has been serviced regularly and not overly modified and enjoy.

John
Old 21 November 2004, 01:41 PM
Nay_k47
Scooby Newbie

thanks guys i wont one even more now, wanted one ever since my m8 took me out in hes and went round a bend at about 80mph which i couldnt of done at 40mph in my astra without being all over the place or into the wall.
Old 21 November 2004, 01:44 PM
Nay_k47
Scooby Newbie

I wont be rushing into the first one i buy i will wait for a good one to turn up.

I know this might sound stupid are scoobs really that bad on petrol or is it just when you thrash it
Old 21 November 2004, 01:58 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty bad all the time. On an average week (just work and back) i get 23mpg