Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY05 - High pitched screeching noise!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2004, 05:40 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 - High pitched screeching noise!!!!

Turned into our local Sainsburys tonight and could hear this ear-splitting high pitched noise.

Put my drivers side window down thinking what the hell is that? ...and it was coming from me! Seemed louder when I turned the wheel right, but then was just as loud going left off a roundabout. At first I thought it was maybe grit on a brake pad - but I wasn't touching the brakes (although they are close to the disc aren't they - so it might be that?).

Slowed down a crawl and it just kept getting really loud. Single tone of ear bursting volume - very very scary. Stopped and pulled over and it stopped. Pulled away and it was gone, only to come back about 10 seconds later. I'm not really sure if it's coming from the power steering pump or from the wheels.

Bit late in the day to call the dealer, but I've only had the car 24 hours from new! I'll maybe go power wash the wheels thoroughly tomorrow - see if that clears any crap off that I've picked up - the roads are minging just now.

Saying that, the car is borderline undriveable when its making this noise - folk are stopping in the street and looking at you thinking WTF???

Anybody else had similar experiences from their MY05 or new MY04 WRX?

Any ideas what it might be?

DBB

Last edited by dietbruboy; 13 November 2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 13 November 2004, 05:59 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dietbruboy
Turned into our local Sainsburys tonight and could hear this ear-splitting high pitched noise.

Put my drivers side window down thinking what the hell is that? ...and it was coming from me! Seemed louder when I turned the wheel right, but then was just as loud going left off a roundabout. At first I thought it was maybe grit on a brake pad - but I wasn't touching the brakes (although they are close to the disc aren't they - so it might be that?).

Slowed down a crawl and it just kept getting really loud. Single tone of ear bursting volume - very very scary. Stopped and pulled over and it stopped. Pulled away and it was gone, only to come back about 10 seconds later. I'm not really sure if it's coming from the power steering pump or from the wheels.

Bit late in the day to call the dealer, but I've only had the car 24 hours from new! I'll maybe go power wash the wheels thoroughly tomorrow - see if that clears any crap off that I've picked up - the roads are minging just now.

Saying that, the car is borderline undriveable when its making this noise - folk are stopping in the street and looking at you thinking WTF???

Anybody else had similar experiences from their MY05 or new MY04 WRX?

Any ideas what it might be?

DBB
if its brand new..

get subaru assist out pronto...

its your car,,, **** the dealer make him work
Old 13 November 2004, 06:03 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an anti rattle spring on the caliper, only today mine popped off and was rubbing the wheel, exactly the sound you describe, you should be able to spot that through the wheel, you might have a nice bright ring around the inside of the wheel if thats what it is.....
Old 13 November 2004, 06:06 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing about a week ago i just got the car upto about 50 mph and stand on the brakes it was a bit of **** it went in one go
Old 13 November 2004, 06:52 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Just went back out for a brisk (well, up to 4,000 rpm!) circuit of our towns favourite dual carriageways and roundabouts.

Not a sound.

Very strange - but maybe the daylight tomorrow will shed some more, er.... light on the subject!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - how much do I love this car?

<----- this much ----->

DBB.