Sponsored by:

Gearknob and seat wear

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2004, 04:08 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gearknob and seat wear

Just need some feedback from all you lucky buggers that already have a scooby, I'm still trying to find one I like .

Been to see one today which overall I like but one thing I wasn't keen on is the material on the driver and passenger seat bolsters seems quite worn. It was a WRX MY96 with approx 45k miles on it. The seats are the black and grey ones and the grey material is like suede, seen a few others and they were similar but I dunno this seemed a bit worse. Also the gearknob had no markings on it at all and thinking about it now that doesn't seem right.

So could you guys let me know what sort of condition your seats and gearknobs are in and how many miles your cars have on em so I can get an idea if this is normal please .

Thanks
Old 13 November 2004, 05:42 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, there was something else about the car which seems odd.

There was a sticker in it of the garage he bought it from which I recognised as they have a couple of cars on Autotrader. So I gave them a call to see if they have any record of the car and any original paperwork (bit of a long shot as it was 16 months ago) and of course they didn't but what was really weird was the guy told me they never have the original auction sheet or de-reg paperwork and he reckoned the DVLA have em????
Another dealer I have been to had the action sheet so why don't they, is it just me being paranoid or could this car not be all it appears???

Pls help, I really want a scoob but I really really don't want to get stitched up!!
Old 13 November 2004, 05:45 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

If in doubt walk away is good advise to anyone buying any car
Old 13 November 2004, 06:01 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For seat wear my 01 bugeye has 41k on it and the seats are still as new, the gearknob has markings but the're faint (supposed to be like that), a couple of years ago i sold my 97 model with 71k and they were unmarked
Have a look at the logbook and copy the previous owners details and give them a ring to check the mileage
Whats the de-reg paperwork? has it had a private plate taken off?
Old 13 November 2004, 06:02 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

BTW - which garage was it in? - wasn't a certain 1 in Keithley was it?
Old 13 November 2004, 06:37 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
BTW - which garage was it in? - wasn't a certain 1 in Keithley was it?
errr, thankfully not, I can assure you there is a very long barge pole between me and that particular garage .

de-reg paperwork as I understand it is the paperwork that comes with the car when it's imported from Japan, filled out by the Japs to confirm details such as mileage and chassis number etc (someone pls correct me here if I'm wrong)

As for previous owners he's the only 1 since it was imported.

I really don't know what to do here, swings and roundabouts, it has some supposedly expensive alloys on it but then I'm not really too bothered about what wheels are on it, standard would be fine but I spose they make it look a bit nicer, it has an HKS or Greddy by the looks of it air filter which is alright, big zorst which sounds nice, bigger rear wing, colour coded skirts, 12 cd changer and adjustable suspension which to my mind is a definite bonus but just not sure that mileage is genuine
Old 13 November 2004, 06:59 PM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bgood
errr, thankfully not, I can assure you there is a very long barge pole between me and that particular garage .

de-reg paperwork as I understand it is the paperwork that comes with the car when it's imported from Japan, filled out by the Japs to confirm details such as mileage and chassis number etc (someone pls correct me here if I'm wrong)

As for previous owners he's the only 1 since it was imported.

I really don't know what to do here, swings and roundabouts, it has some supposedly expensive alloys on it but then I'm not really too bothered about what wheels are on it, standard would be fine but I spose they make it look a bit nicer, it has an HKS or Greddy by the looks of it air filter which is alright, big zorst which sounds nice, bigger rear wing, colour coded skirts, 12 cd changer and adjustable suspension which to my mind is a definite bonus but just not sure that mileage is genuine

As stated before, if in doubt Walk away, if you dont ...
then expect to have some possible problems later
Old 13 November 2004, 07:04 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Best to leg it!

The fact it's been modded will bump your insurace up.
Old 13 November 2004, 08:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

There are LOADS of Scoobs for sale at the mo at decent prices. Just walk away if in any doubt.

Alcazar
Old 13 November 2004, 08:11 PM
bgood
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys, on balance I've decided it's a no, as has been said already, if in doubt walk away, it's a shame cos there are quite a few things I like about it but gotta be practical where my hard earned is involved.

If I'm having these doubts now what is someone else gonna be thinking when I come to sell it and I suspect I'm not the only 1 to have had doubts as it's been for sale for over 2 months now, oh well back to my old friend Autotrader .
Old 13 November 2004, 08:38 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Never buy an import based on mileage, buy on condition, IMHO. If it's big miileage it's probably genuine, if it isn't then suspect it.

The gear ***** on early cars do seem to wear quite early, although my seats are in perfect nick after 100,000 miles.

Check the steering wheel and pedals (again, if they look too new, they probably are!)
Old 13 November 2004, 08:42 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bgood

the material on the driver and passenger seat bolsters seems quite worn. Also the gearknob had no markings on it at all and thinking about it now that doesn't seem right.

It sounds like it could be sarasquares' car

Last edited by Daz34; 13 November 2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 13 November 2004, 10:15 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

The thing with an import is to get it to UK spec it might have had the speedo changed (KMs to Miles) depending where it came from so although it shows 45k it may be a lot more.
Old 14 November 2004, 12:38 PM
adeel.a
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb I'm selling mine...

I have had my WRX Jap Import for 3 years this November and have to sadly part with it...

I have carried out all the decent mods personally and have done nothing to the engine... it's like a virgin...

All I have added is:

- STi carbon engine strut
- Window tints (back, rear passenger and ligher front passenger/driver side)
- Pioneer Headset with 6cd changer and 6 x 4 speaker with Kenwood in the doors and Alpine Amp.
- Put a Cat 1 Clifford Alarm
- White lockwood dials
- Sports Tuning pedals
- STi type V wing ( I still have the original)
- And added a Blitz turbo timer

So its ready and on the road, it depends I guess on how much all this will cost you to do, or would you want one that everything has been done to already...
Old 15 November 2004, 09:32 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

i have exactly the same spec car as the one you described minus the wheels etc
my gearnob is faded but the seats are immaculate
id look long and hard at the paintwork to see if its been resprayed
when i bought mine 18 months ago i looked at tons of em before i saw one i liked
(im selling mine now cos ive got a turbo golf)
Old 15 November 2004, 10:08 AM
Pastor
BANNED

I have an older classic Impreza with 85K miles on it now (prior to my ownership I have all previous invoices so the mileage is verified), the gear **** marking are mostly worn off. The carpets in the drivers footwell all look OK and as my car has leather the seats look like new.
My friends MY97 with 90K miles has similar wear on the gear ****.
Old 15 November 2004, 10:52 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Wink

Better to buy a car of the scoobynet for sale section
they will be more genuine and owned by a fellow scooby fanatic who will have looked after it and can give you the history

Yesterday at the Raid acoss the Border Cumbrian/TTS day out there was a couple of very clean cars for sale by our members who wont be asking for the dealers <mark up> on the price .
Old 15 November 2004, 03:29 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

walk away - theres loads around.

Andy