Sponsored by:

Inteligent AWD systems.

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2004, 08:54 PM
tharoka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inteligent AWD systems.

I would like to debate which system do you think it is suposed to be the best within the new inteligent AWD systems, like the new SH-AWD from Honda, Mitsubishis Super AYC, the one of the Mazda6 MPS and of course the latest version of the DCCD-A.
Old 13 November 2004, 01:40 AM
jl4069
Scooby Regular

Tharoka,

You ask a good question, (also your missing a few systems such as BMW's I-drive and Nissans Hi-cas) the only trouble is that to begin no one ever figured out which of the previous generation 4Wd's was the most effective; and mind, I still read how fast-acting and wonderful Audi's mechanical Torsen system is.

I think the only diffinitive remark we can currently make about current 4Wd systems is that VW and Volvo's Haldex are the worst- as its not even a full time system and as such must turn on after wheels are slipping.

I think a John Barker or a Mark Hales type journalist could do a pretty good comparison of all such systems- like used to be done years ago in performance car and fast lane magazines, and once in evo. But such tests cost money, which I'm afriad these days the mags no longer need to spend, as they seem to be able to sell copy's anyway. Too bad there's not a truly independant journal out there with reporters who actually do tests born of begging curiousity. JL
Old 14 November 2004, 09:48 PM
tharoka
Scooby Regular

Cheers JL! it is fine to see some interest in this tread, but it seems like "what air filter" treads have more succes... LOL

It would be really nice to get the point of view from a tecnician or engineer, or as you say from an expert journalist. By the way we can especulate .

Indeed there are more systems, but I named them because they are mainly used in cars more o less radicals cars, like the EVO, STi and MPS.

I think that the most important think in an Inteligent system is what it is capable to do instead "how inteligent" it is. So if the best solution will be one system cappable of distribute all the available torque from 0% to 100% front to rear and 0:100 right to left both on axis, then I think that the most advanced of the listed above would be the SH-AWD (30:70 to 70:30 F/R and 0:100 to 100:0 on the rear left to rear right).

But what does happen with our loved DCCD? is it from a tecnical point of view better than the Super AYC?

As you may know, Scoobysport is actually developing an upgrade for the DCCD ( http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=371126 ), but how far can they take it?

Someone knows how is the ATD system like? or the system of the WRC´s?

Note: instead I have not drive any Haldex based AWD car, I also think it is the worst and most hateful system nowadays.

Last edited by tharoka; 14 November 2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 14 November 2004, 10:14 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

I only know the EVO 5 normal AYC, but

It was fantastic, you could not feel it working, you just got a car that would NEVER understeer, oversteered at lower speeds and was fantastically stable in 80mph slides.

Thing is with this system, the AYC is not really a torque splitting device, it actually works by speeding up or slowing down one rear wheel in relation to the other based on the yaw rate of the car (got an old one in the garage fantastic bit on engineering), it basically puts in small corrections at the rear to keep the car stable without effecting performance (some cars use the rear brakes to do a similar thing). The EVO system is programmed for performance, other systems are programmed for safety, so its not really right to compare them.

The DCCD-A cannot hope to match the EVO's ACD+AYC

The skyline V-spec system is probably one of the most advanced performance systems their is with its super HICAS rear wheel steering and programmed 4way torque split.

Last edited by Gary C; 14 November 2004 at 10:17 PM.