Sponsored by:

MY05 WRX Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2004, 12:59 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 WRX Owners?

I think there are about four or five regular SN'ers out there with MY05 WRX's... and as I collect mine (my 1st ever Scoob too) on Friday I thought I'd take a quick round up of views/first impressions...

Has the first few weeks been smooth enough?

Any faults/niggles to watch out for?

(my cousin has had his MY04 in for a good few mysterious creaks and rattles in these past two months).

Overall satisfaction?

All the red gone from the brake callipers yet? ;-)

Cheers, DBB.
Old 08 November 2004, 04:35 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

DBB
I'm one, as you know.

Goes in this Friday for the 1,000 miles service at last. Things to be done:

Wipers are shocking - I don;t think they cleaned the wax off properly and the wipers squeak and smear loads

Steering wheel (now three spoke) is not on straight. It's not off by much, as in a PDI would not pick it up, but I paid a lot of dosh for the car and I want it straight. IN a straight line on a flat road, the wheel is kinked slightly and that bugs me

Headlamp alignment is out (but as I have now found out readin up , you have to remove the headlamps to change the sidelight bulbs which equates to needing a headlamp alignment. I haven't done this (they were out since new) BUT can you beleive that to change a sidelight bulb needs a dealer to level your lamps. That's cack!

Few rattles that seem to have gone, but then my car is an SL so the leather took time to settle.

Red brake calipers now grey due to brake dust as I slowly bed the brakes in. Not cleaned it on 1,000 miles though so it needs it. Wonder if the dealer will... we'll see.

Good luck,
Andy
Old 08 November 2004, 04:47 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

DBB

SHould add - having joined SIDC, I now have a dealer who will give me the 10% discount on a PPP which is great - I'll be ordering this on Friday after the service, although not sure if they have release it yet, but I understand that it is different to the MY04 PPP in some small way....

Still, well worth the price of SIDC membership with a £160 saving. Looking forward to the extra juice...
Old 08 November 2004, 04:53 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I've had my '05 STI for about 10 days now. So far so good, apart from a few unexplained blobs in the paintwork which I should be getting sorted at the 1000 mile service. Also my wipers are pretty crap too. I think the occasional knocks and rattles are coming from stuff in the glove box
Old 08 November 2004, 04:56 PM
Tris
Scooby Newbie

mine (silver wagon) is having 1000 mile service tommorow, hopefully they will clean it.

am really pleased with it, apart from picking up a pheasant or to!! (see pheasant meets scooby thread) asking them to fit the mesh grille i think!

no probs to report, love the red callipers, still red so far! fantastic car, really quiet but loves the juice a bit too much.

I do find that the air conditioning button gets accidently pressed when resting my left knee over to the side, bloody annoying.... my fault for being a lanky sod though.
Old 08 November 2004, 05:53 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all for the feedback so - keep them coming.

I've picked up my first mod too - a WR Sport Oval backbox and fingers crossed the dealer will do the necessary (given that I got the car from Lloyds for £18,500 I think my chances may be slim on that score!).

I better not get too excited - the last time I was changing cars someone decided to key my outgoing car on all four sides. The night before hand-over.

Needless to say I shall be sleeping very lightly this week...

DBB.
Old 08 November 2004, 05:57 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Steering wheel (now three spoke) is not on straight. It's not off by much, as in a PDI would not pick it up, but I paid a lot of dosh for the car and I want it straight. IN a straight line on a flat road, the wheel is kinked slightly and that bugs me
I asked my dealer about the same thing on my MY02. Reply - "Can't straighten it, as the shaft isn't splined... You'll have to live with it..."
Old 08 November 2004, 06:02 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

My 99 Turbowagon was delivered with steering wheel slightly offcentre and that really annoys me. 2 main dealers couldn't centre it. A trip to TSL for a full geometry reset, which improved the handling, and, of course, a perfectly centred steering wheel. What is the PDI for if not these sorts of things.
Old 08 November 2004, 06:07 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Had my 05 WRX 4dr wrblue 4+ weeks (now 800 miles) and not one problem yet. No rattles, very solid, great ride absorbes ruts and ripples very well without any bump steer.

Calipers still bright red (washed car once).

Frustrating running in as it picks up very well from 2500 rpm and is really starting to go when you approach 4000rpm!

Changed gearknob for ally one, helps lift new centre consol and put a decent horn on it as original was ****e in the extream!

It is drinking a bit of fuel (22 mpg taking it easy!) but I hope this will improve once properly run in!

Overall very impressed, just can't wait to get it serviced and let it loosen up properly!

Jason
Old 08 November 2004, 07:01 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I have the PDI check sheet in my glove box - I'll dig it out if anyone's interested.
Old 08 November 2004, 07:02 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

ps. interesting that your WRX is only doing 22mpg, that's exactly what I'm getting too.
Old 08 November 2004, 08:44 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Just seen this .. weird I think me and mightyvid have some sort of twin thing going on as I'm booked in for my 1000 mile service on Friday too .. both nice new MY05 wagons as well

Car been washed 3 times and waxed twice ... brake callipers are still red and are not that difficult to reach to clean. Pads seem to generate a lot of dust though.

I have one small rattle below the steering wheel where the fog light switches are and I can feel the panel move so that will be sorted. I also have a squeaky relay when the wipers are on intermittant but apart from that it's great

Opening it up a wee bit more now and have slowly revved to 4.5K in the last few days, don't have the peddle anywhere near full down so can't tell if there is any kick at 4K? Soon see

Quite a lot of go above 2.5K though and very smooth, usual story of watch the speedo for the new cars rather than through the seat than the classics. It is a better car though. Much better handling round B roads.

I'm getting about 25-27 mpg so far and hope that it improves a wee bit after the service.

Standard speakers are utter rubbish and rattle the door panels with almost no bass at all so will be sorted soon.

Can't wait until I can open it up more and see what it'll do ...

Avalyn.
Old 08 November 2004, 08:48 PM
Lucky Man
Scooby Regular

Cool MY05 STi feedback

I have had my Crystal Grey STi for 2 weeks, 1100 miles (first service tomorrow).

Overall since first going into the dealer I decided to buy from I have had a very positive experience. I ordered my car in August and several dealers were less than helpful with info about the 05 models prices etc. so they did not get my business. I think having a good relationship with your deler is probably the best advice I can give you, shop around and find someone you are comfortable doing business with. I know you have already done your deal so you must be comfortable with your dealer.

In terms of the havin the car for two weeks I have only a few very minor niggles

1 The waxol or whatever sealant they use was applied by someone who was a little too enthusiastic there is overspray on the rear diff, back box and on the bottom of the rear bumper in three places.

2. The paint on the front offside wing is too thin in parts, badly sprayed or wrong mix used

I waited until I knew the warranty guy from IM was going to be on site at my dealer (ie tomorrow) until my first service I have previously emailed photos to my dealer and IM showing the extent of the problem.

3.The accelerator pedal has about 5mm of play in it so when you touch it nothing happens for a split second until you press again.

4. The horn is pants ask your dealer to swap with a Legacy.

5. Under the mat in the boot you will find a piece of hardboard, told my dealer this was not acceptable in a car that I had paid over £24k for, he agreed and supplied an STi boot carpet FOC.

6. Get some stone deflectors or mudflaps fitted the cheapest for your dealer to fit(cost price) are Prodrive black otherwise the emulsion (Sorry paint) on your car will last about half an hour.

7.Keep your significant other out of the drivers seat, my Mrs thinks it hysterical watching blokes looking at her driving the bl**dy thing. Thats women for you!

8. Open an account at your two nearest Shell garages you have absolutely no idea how much you are going to spend on Optimax. I think that the ferrari F1 team should put "Thank you Subaru" on the side of their cars not a picture of a shell. Most garages will give you 30 days nett.

9. Buy a Roadangel or similar now!

10. Get a commitment in writing from your dealer to supply and insure for you a decent courtesy car when yours is in, he might pull a face it won't cost him anything but a little admin time but insist on it.

11.Don't watch anything funny on television at night, your face will hurt enough from grinning all day and it will need a rest.

ENJOY

Pete
Old 08 November 2004, 08:53 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

ps. interesting that your WRX is only doing 22mpg, that's exactly what I'm getting too.

I'm hoping it wil either;

a. Improve once loosened up

or

b. It's using a bit more fuel so more power??? [/QUOTE]
Old 08 November 2004, 09:03 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
It is drinking a bit of fuel (22 mpg taking it easy!) but I hope this will improve once properly run in!
Hate to be the bringer of bad news mate, but don't expect an improvement... Any loosening up is more than countermanded by the fact that you'll be driving it harder.....
Old 08 November 2004, 09:18 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

22mpg eh?

My current Cooper S gets 25 on normal weekly runs so 10-15% worse isn't that bad... and my 200SX used to get about 18 and I lived with that for two years!

Avalyn - my cousin has had an under-wheel-creak as well as other odd noises with his MY04 too.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=374062

Surprising that as many of us have MY05's already - and nice that the feedback has been very positive overall.

DBB.
Old 08 November 2004, 10:37 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

mightyvid

Seems that all WRX wipers are crap. I bought some PIAA ones from James at sales@j-w-racing.co.uk. Expensive but excellent.

Callipers will tarnish - easily, especially with Wonder Wheels. Also, be careful what you clean your wheels with as the grey lacquer comes off quite easily even with a mildly rough sponge if you rub hard – never had a problem with any previous car though.

The speakers are laughable. If you ever get round to replacing them you’ll find that a speaker in a £5 radio is of a higher quality. Don’t bother asking your dealer for a quote to replace them otherwise you’ll need a second mortgage.

Only other problem I’ve had is indifferent dealers who couldn’t give a toss about making you feel welcome or wanting any repeat business.

It’s a great car though; just don’t expect more than low 20’s per gallon and you’ll be happy.
Old 08 November 2004, 11:05 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

03 WRX with PPP - MPG not that dependent on how its driven; 26mpg if gentle, 22mpg if not. 300 miles is all it gives on a tank.
Old 09 November 2004, 12:52 AM
tenno
Scooby Newbie

Had my 05 STI about three weeks. Still got over 300mls to do before first "free" service. Only prob so far is the wipers/windscreen a few others mentioned.I suspected wax or grease of some sort on the screen, but is it the wipers as someone suggested?
Old 09 November 2004, 07:54 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

All good stuff chaps.

Avalyn - will you stop following me? You're becoming a mentalist!

Interesting info on the steering wheel - and of course it's crap, as it is the geometry that needs to be done. The dealer said he'd need to contact the supplying dealer to get authority to do it which is fair enough and AFAIK he has done and it's OK. Wanna bet that the wheel comes back more out of alignemn than before? So many times have I seen people think that by putting it straight in the car, then tightening the bolts underneath is sufficient, forgetting all the other factors that come into play. We'll see anyway.

Chamges/mods already:

B&M Racing Quick Shft still to be fitted but I know its great as I've had them before
New Pioneer speakers front and rear, Alpine h/u, Alpine amp (under passenger seat), Alpine 12 disc change, mounted under boot floor in rear wheel well and works very well, Originb2 installed and boost gauge now properly installed. May take pictures of both these latter two as there don;t seem to be any and it's very easy to do - might just help someone. The b2 went into the cigarette lighter and removing the trim was very simple.

tenno - the shipping porotective wax needs to be steamed cleaned properly from the screen, otherwise first few uses of the wipers pick this up. I can still see the wax on the screen when the wipers pass over it, so I know it's that. They can change both of them just for that, as the passenger side also leaves a 1/2 inch smear on the outside edge.

Had her up to 5k now (1187 miles) but not hitting red line until new oil is in. I am getting 300 miles to a tankful on average at the moment, someone can work out mpg for me?

Cheers

Andy
Old 09 November 2004, 07:58 AM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jmk
mightyvid

Seems that all WRX wipers are crap. I bought some PIAA ones from James at sales@j-w-racing.co.uk. Expensive but excellent.
Am I reading this right...

http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipershow.asp?make=SUBARU

£28 for a set of wipers?

Thank funk the car doesn't have a rear!

Old 09 November 2004, 08:11 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Had her up to 5k now (1187 miles) but not hitting red line until new oil is in. I am getting 300 miles to a tankful on average at the moment, someone can work out mpg for me?
Assuming you filling to the brim, and finding the nearest garage once the light come on something in the region of 24 to 25mpg
Old 09 November 2004, 08:45 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Hahahaha ..

Would be very scary normally, but me and mightyvid are practically at the opposite ends of the country so there is some cosmic thing going on .. some sort of quark disturbance methinks ..

Avalyn.
Old 09 November 2004, 09:01 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by tenno
Had my 05 STI about three weeks. Still got over 300mls to do before first "free" service. Only prob so far is the wipers/windscreen a few others mentioned.I suspected wax or grease of some sort on the screen, but is it the wipers as someone suggested?
Get the bosch wipers from halfords m8, fitted some and now no smears
Clean the screen with a vinegar based cleaner first.

Dipster
Old 09 November 2004, 04:49 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dietbruboy
Am I reading this right...

http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipershow.asp?make=SUBARU

£28 for a set of wipers?

Thank funk the car doesn't have a rear!

I learnt a long time ago that wipers are in the 'get what you pay for' catergory. Halfords own brand are pants, but Bosch are excellent on previous cars. £28 is OK - my missus 307 needed a new front set (ie two of them) and they were £20 each - 40 for front wipers is bloody crazy. I like £28!
Old 09 November 2004, 06:41 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

That's the right link - ask for Jamie of you phone them. Forgot to add that I also use Rain-X for best results.

Also JW Racing does a good price on oil, octane booster and 5.1 brake fluid - just ordered off him for my 20k service consumables.
Old 12 November 2004, 12:47 AM
ScoobyNoob
Scooby Regular

Had mine (WRX SL) for 6 days now, done 310 miles. Only complaint is the internal boot release doesn't work. Oh, yes, and speakers are pathetic, unbelievably pathetic. Standard speakers in the Civic I traded-in were infinetly better.

Wipers seem OK, not had the problems others have mentioned. No rattles or funny noises. Haven't washed the car yet, calipers look fine.

Just done 264 miles on 51 liters, so about 23 MPG I guess.

Have hit 5K revs on the odd occasion, bloody hard not too!

Very happy with it so far :-)
Old 12 November 2004, 09:44 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The internal boot release is probably fine. Pop the boot open, and on the catch itself attached to the boot lid you'll find a little lever, which disables the internal release. Tweak this lever and that should sort it.
Old 12 November 2004, 10:23 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AR
03 WRX with PPP - MPG not that dependent on how its driven; 26mpg if gentle, 22mpg if not. 300 miles is all it gives on a tank.
Different results here:

03 WRX with PPP. 33.3MPG driven gently (fully loaded - boot, rear seats and passenger) , and 25-26 if not.
Old 12 November 2004, 11:22 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

The wipers remain crap - even after several different types of wiper blade.

Also, the rattles will stay - seems common place.

Brian

Quick Reply: MY05 WRX Owners?