Sponsored by:

Engine Failure - Tough Decision

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2004, 08:05 PM
cbowditch
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Failure - Tough Decision

I bought my first scooby a week ago, a 99 Wagon. 97K on the clock. I took it in for an interim service yesterday and the garage discovered that I one of the pistons has a failed ring and is losing compression. They quoted my 1250 quid to fit a new set of piston rings.

The mechanic went on to say at 97K, it is very likely that the crank wont last much longer, and so I really ought to consider spending 4700 quid to have the engine fully rebuilt. So the decision is do I risk spending 1250 to repair piston rings and hope bottom end is okay, or do I go for the full rebuild? I cant decide if this garage is just scare mongering about possible problems with the crank/bottom end.

Advice would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 06 November 2004, 08:18 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

I would go to an independent who deals with subaru's. In my experience main dealers are costly and a pain to deal with.
Old 06 November 2004, 08:51 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

tell em to get to ****!

a re con engine is on £1500, try places like Pro Sport etc
Old 06 November 2004, 08:52 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try api as well

apidavids posts on here nd is an authorised advertiser.
http://www.apiengines.com/
Old 06 November 2004, 09:30 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

There having your pants down mate, go to someone like the above post said, f@ck the dealers
Old 06 November 2004, 09:32 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

and a 2nd hand one will only cost £500
Old 06 November 2004, 09:33 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

oh and did they show you proff of all this?

there's plently people on here with 100k+ miles on original engines still going strong!

mines done 120k+
Old 06 November 2004, 10:37 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

yep talking a load of $hite
Old 06 November 2004, 11:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Although, seeing that you have to remove the engine. While it's on the bench with that mileage, and I was doing it myself, I'd split the crankcase and fit new bearing shells just out of routine.

I wouldn't pay anyone else to do it - as I'm am a competent mechanic...so I have oil ingrained in my hands, so I can see the common sense in doing the recon.
Old 07 November 2004, 02:17 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

If it was me mate id get a good tuner to rebuild my engine with forged internals and bits. Spend abit of time doing a search to gather info on parts then go for it. You will have piece of mind then after + it should cost the same amount.
Old 07 November 2004, 08:27 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Where did you buy it from, privately or a dealer. If it was a dealer I would of thought it would come with some warranty.
Old 07 November 2004, 08:42 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

IMG are at present doing a very good deal on New short Motor. Will find out for ya
Old 07 November 2004, 09:32 AM
cbowditch
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to clear up confusion, this is *not* a main dealer. I went to Xtreme Scoobies in Essex, and my understanding was that they have a good reputation. Anyone else used Xtreme Scoobies?

I bought car privately, so no come back

They have no proof that big end is on way out, they are just advising me that if I spend 1200 quid to have piston rings done, then they cant guarantee that bearing shells on crank wont go in near future due to mileage.

They did show me results of compression test:

150 psi on cylinders 1,3 and 4. 80 psi on cylinder 2.
Old 07 November 2004, 10:52 AM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

that could be from any car!
Old 07 November 2004, 11:24 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Clearly there is a problem on no.2 cylinder. What makes them think it is a ring? It could be a valve. Until you know for sure what the problem is, it is difficult to comment on repair cost but £1200 sounds a lot but what does it cover.
As a starting point, determine why they think it is a ring and not a valve. Exactly what does the £1200 include? Rebore?
Get a check price from David at API engines to put in another engine with some form of warranty against your existing motor.
Extreme know Imprezas, so armed with answers to the above questions you can make better judgement and if necessary negotiate a better deal bearing in mind what else is available to you.
How was the car running when you took it for service?
At worst I guess it could be driven to API, I suppose but I think Knowlesey is more than capable of giving you a first rate competitive solution to your problem.
Old 07 November 2004, 02:40 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I don't think you're allowed to impugn the honesty of the mechanic in this way, Leslie.
Old 07 November 2004, 06:59 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Four thousand seven hundred quid to rebuild the engine in a 99 wagon!!. You could buy another car for that much and forget the broken one..........

Call me for a sensible quote if you wish, without any bullsh*t or obligation.

It is not mandatory to get stuffed every time there's an engine problem on a Subaru.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza

PS Thanks Harvey.
Old 07 November 2004, 07:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Cool

Just my two cents about Xtreme Scoobies: Yes, I have used them since I bought my car and found them to be excellent! Do a search on here, you won't find a bad word about them!

Speaking from my experience, as an example: I recently took the car to them cause I had a inkling that the MAF was on the way out (slight flucutations in car idle etc..) They could have just said,

"Yes, we'll replace it, that's 70 quid please!"

They did a diagnostic and were honest about the results i.e. that it was only just borderline out of normal tolerances. If they'd have wanted my money regardless, they could have just said, "yep, its fubared, we'll do it now". When I had the air filter changed, they showed me the old one and compared it to a new one right in front of me. Knowlsey also advised me that it wasn't worth spending a fortune on a 3rd party filter or induction kit, again, NOT the behaviour of a person who is just out to make money! I note from Scooby mag, that they are well ahead of their 5 year business plan etc... they would stand to loose more from getting a bad reputation amoung the Scoobynet community than they would gain from one engine re-buld!

Also, I couldn't help but notice that their waiting room has a direct line of sight into the workshop; which seems conducive with transparency and good honest practice to me.

This is just my experience, but I've always found them to be very friendly, with no hard sell whatsoever. I'll keep on taking my car to them, as I trust them. Can't say more than that.

And before you ask, no, Knowlsey hasn't slipped me a fiver for saying the above!

Best
Old 07 November 2004, 10:16 PM
WHYAYEGTI
Scooby Regular

New/Recon Short engines are available from Subaru Dealers for about 750 pounds plus vat I think! ?
So that would cover new pistons and rings plus crank and bearings.

Gavin
Old 07 November 2004, 11:44 PM
jogyp
Scooby Regular

Talking

my engine just went pop you can buy a brand new impreza short block all built up including pistons for 1171 plus vat bargain i thought
Old 08 November 2004, 08:20 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

or what about a 2.5 conversion with an american short block
Old 08 November 2004, 09:56 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
or what about a 2.5 conversion with an american short block
OK, if you like spending a lot more money than £1200; clutch, gearbox, remap, etc..

Of course, if you stick with no real increase in power then it may be a cheap option although I've yet to hear of someone.

Stefan
Old 08 November 2004, 10:25 AM
cbowditch
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replies.

I will speak to API during my lunch break

Xtreme were helpful and friendly to me, I'm not trying to bad mouth them, just wanted second opinions. I have no doubt the piston ring has failed, but I find it difficult to believe what Knowlesy said about engines typically needing a full rebuild between 60K-80K. Maybe that is his experience because he doesnt see cars that dont have a problem. I'm also not convinced he is giving me the most competitive quote, which seems to be the general consenus on this forum.
Old 08 November 2004, 11:16 AM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

my leggy hass 154k miles on its origional engine and i drive it as it was meant to be driven
my last leggy had nearly 200k on it both turbos both driven hard so they can do big mileages

Or is it just that leggy engines are better
Old 08 November 2004, 11:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

For some odd reason Leggy engines last longer. I never understood that one either, as they are almost identical
Old 08 November 2004, 01:34 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Me ole Type R vs 5 had a bottom end rebuild at 30K and needed a full Rebuild at 55K

there are so many differences in prices out there, depends if you want it done properly or not.

Extreme and API are both top Impreza Companies.
Old 08 November 2004, 01:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Cbowditch: Have you asked Xtreme what work their quote entails? i'd give knowlsey a ring back and clarify, could be a simple misunderstanding. Xtreme also post on here, under the company name. It's all very well people on here speculating, but we're not privy to all the facts. I find it hard to believe that they would not give a competitive quote.

Best.
Old 08 November 2004, 02:31 PM
cbowditch
Scooby Newbie

I have a full breakdown of what Xtreme were going to do in rebuild. I understand your point about speculation, but it has been well worth me asking on this forum, otherwise I wouldnt have known to ring David at API engines.

I spoke to David at API, who has put my mind at rest on the whole issue. He is going to take a look and decide if engine does really need a rebuild and *if* it does then cost is more likely to be in region of 2.5K, which is much more reasonable.

Thanks to everyone who replied. This really is a great forum
Old 08 November 2004, 03:22 PM
Hammoc
Scooby Regular

Hi Cbowditch

I'm the other Chris who was at Xtreme when you were there. I've got the STi7, which was having a boost gauge fitted. I have to say I did feel sorry for you getting bad news like this when you've just bought the car. Not an easy position/decision for you. As such I'm not surprised you've posted on here for a 2nd (well 50+) opinions. Bit awkward for the 'vendor' as well?

I think you've been fair in your comments re the Xtreme guys. For the record I heard what was said (being there at the same time). I think Knowlsey and Paul were both very good. They both gave you lots of facts. They also pointed out the options open to you. Neither of them were trying to pressure you into an immediate decision. Instead I genuinely believe they wanted you to go away and make an informed decision that you are happy with.

Xtreme aren't going to risk their long term reputation for a short term buck. At the same time I don't suppose they will be the cheapest. They won't take the p**s like a main dealer charging top money for a job done by YTS monkeys. However, if you want a job done right then you gotta pay the 'right' price. The cheapest option can often turn out to be more expensive in the long term.

My experiences of Xtreme have always been very good. Fortunately I haven't needed any jobs as big as the one you're contemplating. Mine have been small beer (boost gauge fitting, braided hoses, mud flaps etc) but they've still given me the time and made me feel like they wanted my custom. Enuff said.

Chris

PS - Hope it doesn't put you off Scooby ownership.
PPS- Welcome to Scoobynet!
Old 08 November 2004, 03:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Cbowditch: Oh definately mate, I'd always reccommend asking here!! There is a wealth of knowledge and experience and it does- at the very least- give you options. You should indeed ask around, get opinions etc... For what it's worth I was just making the same point that Hammoc was making: i.e. in my estimation Xtreme are a very good outfit and wouldn't rip you off.

For the record, I've heard nothing but excellent stuff about API too!!

Best wishes, and sorry you've been landed with such a big bill so soon into scooby ownership!

Quick Reply: Engine Failure - Tough Decision