ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Standard UK MY98 - mod advice please

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2004, 11:17 AM
thanuk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Standard UK MY98 - mod advice please

I've got an unmodified 208hp classic which I've had for 3 years and I think it's time to make it a bit quicker. I don't want to change the appearance or make it louder, just a bit faster, and without spending silly money.

I assume the Prodrive ECU is no longer available - what can I fit?
Which exhausts increase power rather than noise? I want to keep the cats for 'green' reasons.
What else should I consider changing?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 02 November 2004, 12:30 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

Right,

The best route for you I think would be a sports cat on the down pipe (MOT Friendly) with a resonated centre decat with something like a STi/P1/WR back box (often on here for sale). This would give you a good 15 bhp increase. If you go for a fully decatted downpipe (have to put the CAT back on for MOT) you should get around 25bhp increase.

Don't bother with induction kits as can often get problems with your MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor either through oil contamination on the wire within the MAF or the induction kit could vibrate the MAF to death. MAF failure can lead to big bills due to pinking.

ECU wise, you best bet is to look at for PPP ECU 2nd hand, as you can't get TEK remaps for MY98, you would need to speak to Power Engineering form memory they know how to remap the MY98 ECU's but its around £600.

Before you do any power upgrades change the brakes as the 2 pot front calipers on the MY98 are utter ****! A cheap upgrade is MY99/MY00 4 pot calipers.

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 02 November 2004, 12:33 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Can recommend the H&S backbox and decat centre pipe - not as loud as some but sounds great without being overbearing in the car.

STI Panel filter too.
Old 02 November 2004, 01:28 PM
thanuk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by danny-boy
ECU wise, you best bet is to look at for PPP ECU 2nd hand, as you can't get TEK remaps for MY98, you would need to speak to Power Engineering form memory they know how to remap the MY98 ECU's but its around £600.
Any idea how much a fair price for a used PPP ECU is?

Originally Posted by danny-boy
Before you do any power upgrades change the brakes as the 2 pot front calipers on the MY98 are utter ****! A cheap upgrade is MY99/MY00 4 pot calipers.
I've got the 4 pots so I guess I must have a MY99 after all

Cheers,
Nathaniel
Old 02 November 2004, 04:35 PM
danny-boy
Scooby Regular

The ECU range I guess about £150-200 depends if its the complete PPP package or just the ECU, from memory the complete package is a uprated intercooler pipe (can get sameco) and a centre decat.

The MY99 was released on >Oct 1998 so its possible you have a MY99, does your front bumper have 2 slats or three? and does it have a low level rear spoiler or the middle height as seen on the STi 4 (not the high level bad boy as on the STi 5 and 6 or 22B)

If yours is a MY99 you have 215bhp as std not 208 bhp, and the TEK remap with a decat/sports CAT would be the best option for remap.