Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WR1 top speed?? without limiter??

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2004, 01:19 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 top speed?? without limiter??

As above really.Does anybody have any idea what a WR1's top speed would be without a limiter giving you had a very long runway off course.
Old 30 October 2004, 01:44 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

156mph

just a guess
Old 30 October 2004, 01:47 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

lol...very funny
Old 30 October 2004, 03:03 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gearing is to about 183mph, unfortunately you may find that the restriction is in the ecu, thus negating any attempts to remove it without invalidating your warranty (and considering that most M3's are also restricted to 155mph who needs much more? )

Tony
Old 30 October 2004, 03:13 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
(and considering that most M3's are also restricted to 155mph who needs much more? )

Tony
PMSL
Old 30 October 2004, 03:27 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Standard Legacy GTB holds the estate car record at about 168mph..

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~1amiga/bhrecord.htm
Old 30 October 2004, 03:45 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The gearing is to about 183mph, unfortunately you may find that the restriction is in the ecu, thus negating any attempts to remove it without invalidating your warranty (and considering that most M3's are also restricted to 155mph who needs much more? )

Tony
thanks..was just wondering just for the reason of wondering really..was not going to remove it.
Old 30 October 2004, 04:05 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Slighly less than a UK wrx sti8 with PPP

Oh no watch the **** fly now!!!.

ONLY JOKING!!
Old 30 October 2004, 04:14 PM
s16cut
Scooby Regular

your not as fast as you think.......... just got the new road angel 2 with gps mph and my sti 8s speedo is five mph fast at 100 and climbing. at those sort of speeds your talking 10 mph slower than you think.
Old 30 October 2004, 04:42 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Limiter on mine is 180mph like most classic imports.

With RA gearing at 19.7mph/1000rpm in 5th thats

180mph @ 9138 rpm, and rev counter only goes upto 9000 LOL
Old 30 October 2004, 05:28 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

On the speedo... perhaps 170...

In reality it will probably do a genuine 155 given a very lvery ong runway!

A PPP STi would probably do a genuine 151-153

the things as aerodynamic as a sail...

The FQ340 was top speed run in a US mag @ 157 and they said "after 150 is as areodynamic as an apartment block" so god knows what the scoob would be classed as... too many big vents and scoops...

Anyone who thinks they wll go much quicker is frankly... dreaming... or has never done a flyer on a runway... even the type 25 only did 4mph quicker than a standard PPP sti after mile and quarter... they effects of wind are huge at that speed...
resitance is a sqare of speed or so i remeber from physics... so 50-to 150 means a 9 times increase in resistance... not many cars will crack a gen 160! without being very slippery!

Phew...

Dazza
Old 30 October 2004, 06:26 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Wink

What are you talking about, there was an Impreza wagon that did an easy 170MPH at Elvington last year.

Granted it was lightly modded, filter and Optimax I believe.
Old 30 October 2004, 06:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ140
What are you talking about, there was an Impreza wagon that did an easy 170MPH at Elvington last year.

And a loud dump valve, don't forget the loud dumpvalve:

Alcazar
Old 30 October 2004, 06:35 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

The speedo on the WR1 is much closer to reality than those on an STi8. I've seen 90mph on a WR1 speedo and about 87mph on a GPS and on an Origin B2 (also GPS based) whereas on my STi it would have been more like 10mph difference as quoted by others.

Must be the 18's I guess because everything else is the same. The tyres used with the 18's, is it 235/45-18?, must be slightly larger in rolling circumference.
Old 30 October 2004, 06:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 100mph indicated, my STi puts out around 96/97mph, also GPS indicated (JDM STi)

Tony
Old 30 October 2004, 07:07 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

hiya, just wanted to stick my oar in here...

ive seen alot of GPS indicated speed readings here...let me tell you, a calibrated speedo is more accurate for speed readings, even a laser 'speedgun'...you cant trust commercial GPS receivers to give a completely accurate figure, you need to be tracking SVs with P/Y code as opposed to C/A code and thats only available to military GPS units...

get a friendly copper to clock you with his laser...!!!
Old 30 October 2004, 07:17 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

every clock is different its an analogue output you cant say all models are out by the same amount
Old 30 October 2004, 08:36 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy

ive seen alot of GPS indicated speed readings here...let me tell you, a calibrated speedo is more accurate ...you cant trust commercial GPS receivers to give a completely accurate figure,
Hi

Sorry but you are out of date. I have worked with GPS (NavStar), for many years and I did my thesis on GPS many years ago when it was still mostly military use. Modern GPS units today will give a speed accuracy of +/- 0.1mph where all 12 channels are in use.

The timing offset that was inserted was removed 4 years ago and since then we have had near military precision (+/- 10ft apposed to +/- 300ft).

The main reason behind this is that GPS is a wide band system and in theory its quite hard to jam and as such very hard for the military to stop the enemy using this service by means of a jammer so they used the mil codes and the enemy would have to use the error ridden "public" channel.

But recently it has been possible to stop the enemy using the system in local or wider areas. So the DOD ordered the "selective availability" was removed. (they could turn it back on when ever they want...)

So everyone can carry on using their GPS for speed checks, as it is just as accurate as laser and radar etc.

BtK
Old 30 October 2004, 09:08 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140

If you call lightly modded 560 bhp then your sights are a little higher than mine!
Old 30 October 2004, 09:10 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
The speedo on the WR1 is much closer to reality than those on an STi8. I've seen 90mph on a WR1 speedo and about 87mph on a GPS and on an Origin B2 (also GPS based) whereas on my STi it would have been more like 10mph difference as quoted by others.

Must be the 18's I guess because everything else is the same. The tyres used with the 18's, is it 235/45-18?, must be slightly larger in rolling circumference.
WOT are you talking about.. now the WR1 has a completly different instrument cluster to everything else!
Old 30 October 2004, 09:36 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

160MPH on the speedo i reckon .....
Old 31 October 2004, 08:24 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

> WOT are you talking about.. now the WR1 has a completly different
> instrument cluster to everything else!

Christ!! Give me a break. No, I'm not saying that, read my post again (or perhaps for the first time). The WR1 has exactly the same instruments as the STi.

Just saying that the speedo error is lower. This is purely a factual observation based on my experience I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other so climb up out of your entrenched positions for once and accept some facts.

Even you bigots on here must agree that the 18 inch wheels on the WR1 are different from the 17 inch wheels on the STi or are you too blinkered to accept even that? Anyway the net effect of different tyres is that the approx 10% positive speedo error on an STi (and virtually every other modern car sold today), is reduced to a few percent.

The slightly different diameter of the tyres affects the overall gearing between engine revs and speed, the speedo is driven off the gearbox output shaft, the speed that see's v real speed will change if tyre diameter changes.

The law says speedo's must read +10%, -0%. To avoid being caught out, to give themselves a better press for higher top speed, better depreciation, more frequent services the manufacturers bias cars speedos towards the +10% end because they can. This is a fact and anyone with a standard car and a £100 GPS can see this.

When Prodirve developed the 18 inch wheels for the Scoobie they chose a tyre combination that kept the speedo error within the permitted band otherwise a simple change in tyres would have meant fitting a new speedo, more expense and endless confusion over real mileages. The size chosen happens to move the normal error from towards +10% back towards +2 or 3%. Another fact easily verified. I'm just reporting it.

Real top speed on the car will not be affected since it is governed by aerodynamics. Just observing that the speedo reading at that time will be reduced as the speedo error is smaller.

I guess if there is a speed limit governer on top speed on these cars, never really 100% sure, then it will be linked to the speedo signal so perhaps a lower speedo error would affect top speed?? But in reality I'm sure there's no limiter with top speed being limited by either the rev limiter in 6th or the aerodynamics on both STis and WR1s.
Old 31 October 2004, 11:04 AM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

I never bought my WR1 to drive at high speeds.
Old 31 October 2004, 12:58 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

Heres one for you, I pretty sure it is illegal to sell a car that undereads across the whole speed range: seen somewhere that most cars under read at 30 but over read at 60. If you look in the accessories there is an option for 18" wheels. So for the manufacturer to remain legal when they are fitting 18 inch wheels to the car, means it will under read more with the original 17`s on. And before you come and say but you will put lower profile tyres on, not every one will, or the manufacturer won`t reccomend it for comfort reasons, so you will be on either 235/40
/18`s for STI or 215/45/18`s for the WRX. Hope this makes sense. But standing by in nice shiny flame retardent suit just in case.

Jase

Last edited by Barmyclown; 31 October 2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 31 October 2004, 01:02 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brian the Sn@il
I never bought my WR1 to drive at high speeds.
Old 31 October 2004, 01:14 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

most cars under read at 30
I have never seen any evidence of this whatsoever. From various car mags where they have published actual vs indicated speed, most cars (not scooby specific, note) seem to over-read by say around 3-5mph at the lower end of the speed range, increasing to somewhere like 7mph as you go into three figures.

Think about it - if cars under-read at 30, there could potentially be a lot of people getting speeding tickets in urban areas when their car tells them they're not speeding. Law-suit anyone?

I know of a scoobynetter who managed 160 indicated, or 153-4 GPS in a 260ish bhp lightly modded UK turbo (classic shaped). Admittedly, smaller scoop and wing etc than a WR1, but I'd be surprised if the WR1 was a slower top speed. However, worth noting that this speed was achieved after a long run-up, not a standing start mile or anything.
Old 31 October 2004, 01:49 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

I didn't think the WR1 or any scooby had a limiter. The top speed is governed by drag, the scoob is not aero efficient and is why is has a relatively low top end speed. Top end speed would I suspect be as advertised for the WR1 eg around the 150 to 160 mark.

Big german cars etc have a physical limiter set at 155mph if removed the car would go quicker until again drag played a part typically around 170 to 180 for these cars. The are a number of reasons for the limiter but one significant one is aerodynamics. These cars are not made to be stable at the speeds they can reach without limiter.

Talk of gearing etc is immaterial this will just give you a top speed on the rolling read.
Old 31 October 2004, 02:02 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

The WR1 is advertised as having a limiter that cuts in at 155mph.
Old 31 October 2004, 02:28 PM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris's scooby
The WR1 is advertised as having a limiter that cuts in at 155mph.
Fair do's. I can't see the Max Speed being much beyond. Std STI is 150, WRX 145 with about 40BHP difference so the WR1 would be around 155/160
Old 31 October 2004, 02:44 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I'd have thought about 160 mph as well.

I had an indicated 140 mph out of my bugeye WRX once (private road). It had 2000 revs left before the red line.

Chris

Quick Reply: WR1 top speed?? without limiter??