ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

newbie,what subaru?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2004, 10:50 AM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie,what subaru?

hi all,like the title suggests im new to subarus and im totally confused as to what one to get?im currently driving a modded gti-r but i was very impressed with a 2 door subaru i saw at the pod a few weeks ago.ill be moving jobs in the new year so ill hopefully be able to afford up to 20 grand limit.
im not completely sure about all the variants,p1,22b,sti8 etc...im basically after a 2 door ,preferably the most powerful.
can someone enlighten me?sorry if this has been covered before but i wanted a more personallised reply.
Old 30 October 2004, 02:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there

2 door cars only came in the classic shape, the new age cars are all 4 or 5 doors (4 door only on STis')
The fastest?
Well i can tell you that the fastest aint a 2 door car, the most powerful was the S202 which was released in 2002, 320ps from the factory from its 2ltr STi modified (even more than normal) engine, but i doubt you would be able to afford one with a 20k budget
That leaves you with either a new age STi (all 4 doors of course) or a classic type R or P1 based car (the 22b will also be out of your price range as these go for around 25k+ and have quite alot of serious cost on parts, ie wing = 2k unsprayed, alloy = 800 quid each etc)
That leaves you in P1 and type R territory.
Both cars have 280ps (not 300ps as some people will say) and around 260lbs of torque.
These STi models come without ABS (with the exception of the P1 and WRX type R) as they have a centre diff control to change the balance of power to the wheels (50:50 to 64:36 or there abouts).
You should note that these cars need to be pampered if looked after properly, ie gearbox oil every 15k miles/1 year, 7.5k service intervals if not less/6 months whichever first and the need for high octane fuel (100+ ron) so super unleaded and octane booster only on these cars.
If your not too fussed about having ABS and no centre diff control then the likes of the P1 or WRX type R (though the latter is very rare) may be more up your street?
Both produce 280ps but the P1 has the advantage of UK servicing and a dealership network, which btw the JDM cars dont have.
The choice in the end is up to you, ive given you a quick insite to whats available, hopefully the more you ask about each model, the more info you will get and that should point you in the direction of the car you want

Tony

PS, id also check out insurance on the type R (Version 3 though to 6), the WRX type R (99/00 year models) and the P1 before buying (and depending on how old you are).