Sponsored by:

Honda Accord Type R

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2000, 09:33 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Has anyone had any experience of one of the aforementioned? (good or bad)

Time to replace the scoob replacement (can't even bring myself to mention the make and model of current motor) with something with a bit more poke but not the high profile aggressive looks of a Imp (is that acceptable???)n Turbo.

Thanks
Old 25 July 2000, 08:38 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

accord tyre R is just as noticable as a scoob IMHO

robski
Old 25 July 2000, 08:42 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Audi S3 seems the current flavour of the month. With a recent price cut too.
Old 25 July 2000, 08:50 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Cool

You have obviously not seen an Accord Type R in the flesh before. It has 17" wheels as standard, all colour coded with a wing on the back to rival any Impreza I have seen! (Maybe that was an option...).
LOL
Mike
Old 25 July 2000, 09:34 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

AIUI it's a zero-cost deletable option. Make sure you don't get a red one and I think it's reasonably subtle.
Old 25 July 2000, 11:06 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

I've driven one at a track day, it is one heck of a car, pulls itself out of trouble amazingly well! I got into it expecting to hate it and came out of it loving it!

It had pretty hard suspension
I've never driven it on a motorway/A road, and would do that to check for noise/ride.

Greg
Old 25 July 2000, 06:35 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I drove one of these for 2 weeks continous whilst i had my scooby. For a 2wd car it is fantastic - completely predictable and amazing handling (no back end coming round ), very good build quality, recaros, big wing, colour coded, lovely gear change, solid brakes AND FANTASTIC HEADLIGHTS that glow bluuueeeeeeeee.....the only thing was i got tired of having to rev the nuts out of the VTEC all the time to get it moving.

If you can live with a boring, revvy engine then its damn good stuff but it certainly is noticeable around town (unless you take the wing off!)

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 25-07-2000).]
Old 25 July 2000, 10:13 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info.

Mike,

I have seen one in the flesh and at a glance looks nothing special, (optional spoiler (carl ) is not present. The only give-away is the 17inch alloys - no massive spot lights, bonnet scoop, bonnet vents, lairy side skirts or large rear wing!

The interior is dominated by the dials and recaros - oooh soooo comfortable (sat in it not driven it yet!)

I am test driving the car wedenesday.

I'll let you know how i got on.

Jack

[This message has been edited by jjones (edited 25-07-2000).]
Old 25 July 2000, 11:45 PM
Si
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

I agree totally with sunlip. Unless you rev the dogs b%$$*^% off the car, it is very ordinary.

I bought my first scoob in 97 and test drove an accord in 99. In the end I bought another scoob as the accord isn't a car I would like to live with on a day to day basis. Great on a track(I suspect) but on the road, no thanks.

Si
Old 26 July 2000, 06:00 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

A subie owning friend of mine here bought one couple of months ago

Owned it for a month and then sold it

nuff said

Richard

[This message has been edited by rsquire (edited 26-07-2000).]
Old 26 July 2000, 09:36 AM
Rider
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi,
I owned a Honda Integra Type R for a year before my MY99 Scoob, and have spent a bit of time in my local dealer's Accord Type R.
If you want my honest opinion, I'd avoid the Accord like the plague. It's a flabby, compromised saloon that's been uprated to cope with more power. True, it's got a clutch and gearbox to kill for, and the engine sounds pretty decent, but it's soft and spongy through corners and wallows a lot on uneven surfaces. I really didn't enjoy driving it and couldn't wait to get back into the Impreza. It's far, far more focused.
If you can get away with only having two doors, I would TOTALLY RECOMMEND the Integra Type R. If you're a keen driver, then this wees all over the Impreza for driver feedback. It's not as quick, but the engine sounds incredible thanks to the weight stripping, the recaros are vice-like and it doesn't hurt quite as much at petrol stations. I'd buy another one tomorrow. And might replace my Imp with one before the end of the year. That limited slip diff is almost as good as four wheel drive, too. Forget the flabby Accord.
Old 26 July 2000, 09:43 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

We tried one out at work a few months back.

In short, it handled like a wet teabag and just had no power at all. Not impressed!
Old 26 July 2000, 12:13 PM
Richie
Scooby Regular

Had a Honda Integra Type R for 2 and a bit years... got my MY00 a month ago.. put it this way, I wont be buying a Honda again

Richie.
Old 26 July 2000, 07:13 PM
Ian Waller
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry guys, I love my MY95 STi II to bits and will definitely by another Scooby, however, repsect to the Type-R.

IMHO It is a lovely car, supurb handling, not bad performance and not too bad to look at.

Ian.
Old 26 July 2000, 10:39 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

thankyou all for your input.

JUDGEMENT DAY.

Admittedly (sp) i ownly drove the accord for about 5 miles. Still, I found the handling to be sure footed, the engine note was very nice (much better than listening to sarah ***!) the recaros were excellent (pump adjustable lumbar support). brakes seemed good - but were not pushed hard.

This V-Tech jobby tho that's a different kettle of fish entirely. I remember my first drive in an imp turbo - i got out of the car grinning like a moron. I got out of the accord thinking this is supposed to have 212 bhp. Maybe in the split second the car is in the v-tech band the car pulls but other than that the car must be on about 170 bhp and it shows. i remember the distinct shove in the back the scoob gave, even at low revs, the honda has no answer.

i am deeply disappointed - i beleived the v-tech system was very enjoyable - give me a 2 litre turbo boxer engine any time.

i am now stuck between a rock and a hard place - i dared not risk another imp turbo but would like a similar performance from a similarly priced car. I need 4 doors and a reasonably good mpg.

has any one tried a volvo s40 t4?

help?
Old 26 July 2000, 11:30 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

T4 is poo. ok in a straight line but really POO.

I would be tempted to say Golf 4motion or Audi A3 1.8T sport but that's tempting fate
Old 27 July 2000, 01:56 AM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

I had a long test drive in an accord type R back to back with an Integra type R. I thought the accord was very good. It did not understeer like my my98 scoob, it was completly predictible(which my scoob isn't) had loads of steady state cornering grip and very controlable lift-off oversteer.

It was a true drivers car in the same way as the scoob is and the Mondeo ST200 isn't for example.

I liked the engine and it didn't seem much slower than the scoob when in full flight,I bet it's 60-100mph time is similar to a uk scoob.I would,however,miss the effortless turbo torque of the scoob.

The Integra had the same ingredients but was more frantic in every way.

I don't think I could live with the Integra but I could with the Accord.For me it's one of the few real alternatives to the Impreza.

Stuart H with such a low amount of torque I can see why it might not be suited to carrying two burly police men plus all their gear .

Having said that I think low down torque is nice but often over-rated.I would prefer to have a car with 200bhp and 150lb/ft rather than the other way round.

[This message has been edited by AndyMc (edited 27-07-2000).]
Old 27 July 2000, 07:31 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The T4 is poo indeed (though I'm from Sweden), the chassie isn't designed for 200+ bhp and 300 Nm of torque.

If traction control is disabled the car is nearly undriveable (almost scary), was very disappointed - and after my first Scoob encounter I couldn't stop shaking/smiling.

Really...once a scoob always a scoob.
Old 27 July 2000, 10:23 AM
Rider
Scooby Regular

JJones,
Just so you know, all VTEC engines have to be gunned to about 5800rpm before the second set of cams comes on song. That's when things start to happen; it's totally alien, I know, but give it a try.
I drove past some 40+ biddy in an Integra on the A12 last month who was doing about 50mph, and I wet myself: I knew she was sitting with the engine screaming at 5000rpm, just waiting for the power cams, but she probably thought it was about to blow up! She had another 3000rpm to play with, silly girl.
Old 27 July 2000, 10:37 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I took a test drive in the Audi A3 1.8T (150bhp job) whilst debating the Scoob... Quick-ish (no shove in the back when the turbo kicks in, couldn't believe there was a turbo in there), very civilised and nice ride.

Boring but comfortable.

Plenty of toys, but the trip computer was showing around 24mpg average, IIRC. OK, it was a demonstrator.

Got back into my Clio and had more fun. Ordered the Scooby. Never looked back. Getting into the Clio after the Scooby test drive was sooooooo disappointing.

The S3 is another proposition altogether. I'd quite like a play in one of those .
Old 27 July 2000, 03:12 PM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Smile

I would reccomend a test drive of the Golf V6 4Motion as I've driven the Hondas and I think only the Golf has come close to the sccoby for all round ability IMHO.
It doesn't handle as well round the bends, but has loads of power throughout the revs.
Interior is great but seats are rubbish unless you get the reccaros.
Worth a try tho
Cheers
Iain
Old 27 July 2000, 03:35 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

The Honda was on my short list although i chose the Scooby over it. One on the reasons was the gearing it runs 'bout 19MPH per thousand revs so @ 80 you are revving @ 4300rpm. Yes i know the honda revs to 9000 the point is that it gets a bit boring if you do a lot of motorway driving. the power was from about 4500 upwards and no much below that point. Nice car, great handing looks good and well put together but not for me.
Old 27 July 2000, 07:36 PM
TheMrPorsche
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

It all depends on what you like in a car. For normal every day use and all-round use the Scoob is unbeatable. Only the S3 can compare.

For track use and sportsdriving the Integra Type-R is far, far superior. For normal use it is very annoying.

Should have them both I guess.

Gr.

Patrick