ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How bad is your Blobeye STI to drive when cold

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2004, 11:02 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is your Blobeye STI to drive when cold

I have an 03 STI PPP and its a nightmare when cold very jumpy and wants to cut out when pulling away from stop, then its jumpy when changing gears.....

My feeling is there is a problem with my car after recents events, but just wanted to get some feedback from others......????
Old 14 October 2004, 11:18 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it may be a fault with the clutch. It was a know problem on the MY02 WRX's and i think also on the MY03 STi. The dealer should change the clutch for free, give them a call.

Chris
Old 14 October 2004, 11:28 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

Its not a clutch judder type feeling although it does do that now and again
Old 14 October 2004, 11:29 PM
rotty
Scooby Regular

when new I had problems with notchy gearbox when cold , 9 months on and all is fine
Old 15 October 2004, 06:50 AM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rotty
when new I had problems with notchy gearbox when cold , 9 months on and all is fine
My 03 Sti ( non PPP ) is fine when cold apart from clutch judder. Do you reckon they will do the clutch for nothing ? Its only done 13,000 miles.
Old 15 October 2004, 06:53 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry reading the thread again this may not be relevent

Prodrive have also programed in a power/Rev restriction on PPP max Rev and Power can only be acheived when engine Temps are @ normal. IIRC
Old 15 October 2004, 08:53 AM
JohnS

All recent STi's have a cold weather setting that means you are running on reduced performance when the car is cold, until such time that the engine warms up enough for you to safely use full performance. It's just built in protection for the engine, so that you don't cane it whilst the engine is cold, causing lots of engine wear and potential failure before the oil and other fluids are up to operating temperature.
Old 15 October 2004, 10:38 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

On mine it just seems as if the turbo has gone missing for the first half mile from cold. After that it's fine, just have to be careful turning right out of the end of my road while its restricted.

My clutch judders slightly after the car has been used gently (in traffic) for a few days. I just give it a harsh start then it's OK for a week.

Diccy.
Old 15 October 2004, 10:46 AM
gso
Scooby Regular

I think i get similar symptoms from my 04 WRX... like it wants to die when cold.... but then when it warms up its all fine!
Old 15 October 2004, 11:18 AM
New_scooby_04

BAH- I kinda get the impression that all Scoobies are a bit tempremental when cold. My MY99 is very lumpy for about half a mile or so when cold and the clutch judders very noticeably. However, when it warms up it's absolutely fine. I usually let mine idle on the drive for 5mins before I go out -and hold the revs at around 2000 rpm for short periods to speed the process up-. That seems to work very well as the car then runs perfectly sweetly from the outset. Clutch judder is still present for the first couple of getaways but soon dissapears.

Best
Old 15 October 2004, 12:20 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

Angry

[QUOTE=New_scooby_04]BAH- I kinda get the impression that all Scoobies are a bit tempremental when cold. My MY99 is very lumpy for about half a mile or so when cold and the clutch judders very noticeably. However, when it warms up it's absolutely fine.

my 01 is very similar.
clutch is aweful when cold.judders. just in case we mean different things i percieve the judder to be the difficulty in pulling off and changing gear smoothly.
i dont run mine above 3000rpm until engine temp is up to normal and the diffs are warmed up.
Old 15 October 2004, 01:10 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

Mine has just had a new prodrive ecu fitted after problems with the preveouse one, i dont remember it being like this before.....

Also i dont cane it when its cold, simple things like pulling away from a junction are a nightmare or changing from 1st to 2nd it kangaroo's a bit
Old 15 October 2004, 01:17 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
BAH- I kinda get the impression that all Scoobies are a bit tempremental when cold. My MY99 is very lumpy for about half a mile or so when cold and the clutch judders very noticeably. However, when it warms up it's absolutely fine. I usually let mine idle on the drive for 5mins before I go out -and hold the revs at around 2000 rpm for short periods to speed the process up-. That seems to work very well as the car then runs perfectly sweetly from the outset. Clutch judder is still present for the first couple of getaways but soon dissapears.

Best

New_scooby_04

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a lumpy feeling when my MY00 is cold. I tends to go the same as yours. I only occasionally get the clutch judder when cold but not all the time - it is annoying though.

little'un
Old 15 October 2004, 02:25 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnS
All recent STi's have a cold weather setting that means you are running on reduced performance when the car is cold, until such time that the engine warms up enough for you to safely use full performance. It's just built in protection for the engine, so that you don't cane it whilst the engine is cold, causing lots of engine wear and potential failure before the oil and other fluids are up to operating temperature.

I though that this was the case from my experience driving the car the last 6 weeks but it's nice to have it confirmed

btw, they release the power from the cold map too early if you ask me, if you cane it as soon as it lets you then I believe that will still cause excessive engine wear etc... as the power comes back before the water temp is at running temp and definately before the oil is hot enough.
Old 15 October 2004, 03:52 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Its absolutely fine! no probs, in fact I have to restrain myself from getting in and blasting off as normal. The gears are a bit stiff, particularly a change down from 3rd to 2nd just down the road, but otherwise smooth (as smooth as the STI suspension allows).
Done 1300 miles from new.
Old 15 October 2004, 06:35 PM
Squadron-Leader
Scooby Regular

MY04 WRX Wagon 7 months old is lumpy in the morning, and has had some bad starting in the last week or two. (It's more like my MY99 now ) Car from new was fantastic when cold. I'm guessing a sensor's fooked somewhere already.

Gear box/clutch is very jump. There seems far too much play in the box when trying to drive in traffic in 1st and 2nd with the engine hot or cold. (I know it's different to the STi box) You have to be very gentle with the revs or it's like having kangaroo petrol in the tank!

Going to raise all my issues with Subaru at the 10K service.

J.
Old 15 October 2004, 06:52 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to realise that for the sake of the emission laws the enrichment when cold is kept to an absolute minimum and cancels very quickly. I'm amazed it's as smooth when cold as it is! My 03STiPPP is a little jerky when cold but from experience over MANY years of motoring, I accept this. I also never go into boost or over 3k until the engine is warmed and the oil temp. is at least 60c - it's a mechanical sympathy thing!
JohnD
Old 15 October 2004, 07:34 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sideways
My 03 Sti ( non PPP ) is fine when cold apart from clutch judder. Do you reckon they will do the clutch for nothing ? Its only done 13,000 miles.
Tileys did mine @ 24000 miles.
Old 15 October 2004, 11:16 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Mine is def better than last winter, I guess because it has loosened up with the extra 10k miles. Mind you, I have been using the aircon to clear the windows in traffic on the A2 and that makes it a bit lumpy when cold.

G.
Old 16 October 2004, 06:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My JDM STi is a bit like death first thing, you can feel the drag of the oil round the turbo (i kid you not ) for the first hundred yards or so, after that, no problems

Tony
Old 16 October 2004, 08:15 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Mines not bad at all. A little breathless but I don't boot it untill its warm. Pulls away without missing or flat spots. Gear change gets better when warm but its fine when cold.
Old 17 October 2004, 09:52 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

its good to see im not alone in this, but i still think there is something a miss......its not due a service for another 4k but im wondering if it may help to do it now, 16k miles at pressent