ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Climate Control/ Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2004, 12:40 PM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate Control/ Air Conditioning

As far as I can recall, the latest version of the Impreza has semi-automatic climate control. What is the difference between automatic and semi-automatic climate control ?

Why do temperature settings only go as low as 20 degrees and up to 30 degrees. My Dad's VW Golf climate control ranges from 16 to 28 degrees. The actual temperature setting appear meaningless.
Old 14 October 2004, 12:48 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

The latest version of the Impreza has full/auto climate control (that means you set the temp and it does everything for you). Semi-auto is when you set the temp to what you want, but you control the direction of the vents etc and sometimes the fan speed. If you look at the new MY05, you'll see once you set the temp guage, you can then leave the direction and fan speed on Auto and it does everything itself (heat up, heat down etc).

NTW, for those with MY05 - anyone spotted the weird thing with the climate control. You have a gauge that 'clicks' for each notch of temperature. So, let's say you are on 20 degrees, one click takes you to 20.5, the next click to 21 etc etc. Then set your gauge to 20, dcount around the clicks and when the dial says 25, you have actually counted to 26, and carrying on, when the gauge says 30, you have actually counted to 32.

How smart is that! You would think that when you calibrate the 'clicks' it would match with what the gauge says. Then again, it is Subaru's first attempt at climate control in the WRX so give them some slack... LOL.

I find it funny anyway they couldn't get it right!

Andy
Old 14 October 2004, 12:58 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

wierd,

mightyvid does your do this?

You have climate control on i.e. set to Auto, Auto and a temperature. Take it off climate control round to windscreen and move the fan from Auto to a few clicks .. does your air-con (3rd dial centre) come on automatically????

Avalyn.
Old 14 October 2004, 12:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

How do you know each click is supposed to correspond to exactly 0.5 degrees?
Old 14 October 2004, 01:06 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Andyc

Basically, what else would it be? Most cars go in increments of .5 degrees which seems logical, and this would be natural. 10 clicks between 25 and 30 means .5 increments. But 12 clicks means the dial goes in 0.41666 incremements. Tell me Subaru meant that ;-) - there is no logical reason other than a screw up, as far as I can tell...

Avalyn - let me check and advise you... what fun this climate control is. Hours of entertainment!!!! LOL
Old 14 October 2004, 01:08 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

if i move my fan to demist then, yes the aircon comes on automatically (my04 sti uk), plus goes off if you take it of demist
Old 14 October 2004, 01:17 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

LOL Clicks could correspond to any temperature difference! There's no reason at all why each one should correspond to some convenient fraction of one deg C. The US car has its climate control calibrated in deg F, where one click (it would appear) corresponds to 0.75 deg F. That doesn't sound so daft, does it?
Old 14 October 2004, 01:20 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Andyc
Fair point - although 0.75 is more realistic than 0.416 - and the reason the clicks should correspond is because the numbers are printed on the dials. If there were no numbers printed on the dials, I can see your point.
But I do think it is perhaps because of the centigrade to farenheit conversion - then again, maybe someone else has the answer. I just found it ..... intruiging...
Old 14 October 2004, 02:56 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm .. had a nice e-mail saying that their air-con also comes on when you turn it from climate to windscreen .. so it's not just me and must help with front screen demisting. MY05 seems to mist up less when raining especially the rear windows which were a nightmare in MY00.

Can't say I'd put 2 and 2 together with the clicks corresponding to degrees etc .. just turn it till I'm happy with the temp

Maybe after a few revisions Scoobs will give you some more information, the Audi I used to have just turned the temp up in 0.5 increments on a digital display and also (I like this ) told you at what speed your fan was blowing .. also liked the fact a snowflake used to appear in the dash if it was under 5 degrees outside .. nice and Christmassy ....

mightyvid you are right, amazing how a new car can make you sit for hours and question .. is it supposed to do that

Avalyn.
Old 14 October 2004, 03:40 PM
Taomyn
Scooby Regular

Location: Europe (Brit. ex-Pat.) - MY03 WRX PPP + Opel Monza GSE
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mightyyid
NTW, for those with MY05 - anyone spotted the weird thing with the climate control. You have a gauge that 'clicks' for each notch of temperature. So, let's say you are on 20 degrees, one click takes you to 20.5, the next click to 21 etc etc. Then set your gauge to 20, dcount around the clicks and when the dial says 25, you have actually counted to 26, and carrying on, when the gauge says 30, you have actually counted to 32.
Nearly right. The first and last notch are actually "as cold as possible/as hot as possible" settings (within human tolerable ranges I suppose) - as explained to me by the Subaru dealer (or was it in my French manual, I forget). If you look closely the 20 and 30 settings are ever so slightly higher to signify this. You can also prove it by the fact the power of the system being so radically different between the first notch and the second notch especially when it's cold and already below 20.

My old Omega Elite had the same with its climate control as below 18 and above 30 it just said "Lo" and "Hi" on the digital display.
Old 14 October 2004, 03:44 PM
Taomyn
Scooby Regular

Location: Europe (Brit. ex-Pat.) - MY03 WRX PPP + Opel Monza GSE

Originally Posted by Avalyn
Hmmmmm .. had a nice e-mail saying that their air-con also comes on when you turn it from climate to windscreen .. so it's not just me and must help with front screen demisting. MY05 seems to mist up less when raining especially the rear windows which were a nightmare in MY00.
My MY03, as did my Omega Elite, does the same for the two settings that have "demist" symbols - the air-con comes on when I turn to these.

It's good because "air-con" air is very dry and is better for de-misting but bad for us contact lens wearers Also shuts up those people that think air-con is for the summer months only!
Old 14 October 2004, 04:02 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

agreed air-con is vital for the winter otherwise you'll look like some kind of heavy panting dog
Old 14 October 2004, 07:35 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also vital for the summer keeps you soooo cool its always on my must have list
Old 14 October 2004, 08:29 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The answers here don't convince me that it's much different/improved to the "semi-automatic aircon" on the MY01 onwards. E.g. on my 02, you set a temperature and leave the fan on auto. It adjusts the temperature, fan speed etc for you. Sure, you tell it whether you want it from the vents, the feet, or demist (or combos of those), but otherwise, it does it all automatically.

And IIRC think the MY01+ "semi-auto aircon" also clicks at strange fractions of degrees on the temperature dial, although it does definitely have a "full cold" and "full hot" setting either side of 20 and 30.