Sponsored by:

Thinking of changing WRX for 05WRX

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2004, 11:42 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thinking of changing WRX for 05WRX

Just wondering what I'm likely to see switching from my 02 WRX to the new 05? I'm currently on a de-cat downpipe and centre section, scoobysport backbox.

I'm now at 73,000 miles so am thinking of changing. Will it be much slower and need de-catting etc.

Where are the best deals at the moment?

Any feedback would be most welcome!

Mike
Old 13 October 2004, 05:55 AM
DJ WATTS
Scooby Regular

Why bother sticking with a WRX? Do you not fancy sampling an STi variety?
Old 13 October 2004, 07:23 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike,

How's the family?

You'd deffo need to go down the de-cat route, however, I'd be more concerned about the trade in you'd get don't expect too much.....

Unless you're looking at an STI...... but then again, it looks like Subaru have stopped the MY05 until the MY04 stocks have been depleted.

IMHO, I'd hang on until it all gets sorted, and look at a trade with your car as stock (have you still got the original OEM parts - zorst, shocks etc). Put the modded bits on the new one!

Hope this helps

Dan

PS Need to speak to you about the DV stuff, but will call you later in the week
Old 13 October 2004, 07:29 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Just done exactly the same (well an new MY04). You can tell the difference, but to be honest i'm quite enjoying the car being quieter on the motorway (i have replaced the back box on the new scoob, but haven't removed the cats, yet ). I will be decating in the future but i want to wait until the car has covered about 10k (about 6 moths) so any problems that i want to get sorted by the warantee will hopefully have shown up by then.

Give Lloydstsb car select a try, but i saw someone post up the other day that the are not selling scoobs at the moment, probably all the MY04/MY05 business.
Old 13 October 2004, 09:42 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that! I'd be doing the PPP rather than going the STi route, but then again.... Just seems that the deals on offer are pretty good and with my miles I've got to either change very soon or keep it forever, well, at least another few years but am worried about the longevity.

I've seen Virgin offering WRX's for just over 16k. Are these likely to be up to UK spec and able to be PPP's?

Cheers!

Mike

PS. Cheers Dan! Call the moby!
Old 13 October 2004, 10:06 PM
devon03
Scooby Regular

having just bough an 04 sti and gort a discount and saved a grand for a switch i would never use as would never go on a track i would get an 04 wrx with a discount, what has an 05 to offer< new painted sills and a chrome boot badge. I dont get the need to upgrade all the time, classics are fab cars i just needed anew car cos of mileage, the new models may have a few tricks but my thoughts are get a discount get a uk model and just enjoy
Old 13 October 2004, 10:21 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

When I bought my 2002 WRX, I made the decision to get the WRX and spend the extra on modifying it myself (although I ended up spending a lot more than just 'the extra' lol ).

However, with the 2005 models the difference between the two vehicles are much more pronounced.

The reason I stop throwing money at my WRX was that it lacked essentials like the front LSD. With the 2005 models the STi now has the DCCD-A not to mention the new chassis parts.

There is no way I would make that decision again now, and there is absolutely no way I would upgrade like for like (model-wise).

Of course, it's not me signing the cheque, but bear in mind its a decision you will likely have to live with for a couple of years at least.
Old 13 October 2004, 10:26 PM
devon03
Scooby Regular

why would you want dccd for a road car, lets be honest. i have a sti ppp and its wicked, i got a discount over the 05 model. u may say i am upset at not having o5 model but for an extra grand (list price then add the discount i got) why???/
Old 13 October 2004, 10:41 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

You actually driven a DCCD-A equipped car?

It is equally as valid across twisty, bumpy b roads as it is on a track.

Combined with the effectively longer wheelbase, wider track and wheels etc. and you get a significantly more surefooted, faster and fun car.

I am not denying and have no doubt that your 04 sti ppp is great, it's just not as great as the 2005 version. That was your choice, he made it, you're happy, and I am happy for you

However, if I was buying a new Sti, and spending that much money, there is no way I would purchase a technically inferior car, that's will depreciate more / faster now it is no longer the latest model.

You may call it a bargain, I call it false economy.

But then, I threw away many thousands of pounds modifying my WRX, but whilst taking craner curves at over a ton or blasting across Exmoor on a clear Sunday morning, do you think I really cared?

What I'm saying is that I would not make that same choice again now.
Old 15 October 2004, 02:36 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Mike - slightly off thread (sorry), but I remember you from the APRS at Olympia days!
Old 16 October 2004, 12:24 AM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Hi Pockman!

You've got a good memory! Probably one of those very rare occasions I had to wear a suit

Where would I know you from?

Back on topic: I tried an MY04 WRX today. Not bad but was expecting more. I'll have to check out a PPP and STi next.

Mike
Old 16 October 2004, 12:47 PM
scottywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RecordProduction.com
I've seen Virgin offering WRX's for just over 16k. Are these likely to be up to UK spec and able to be PPP's?
pm me if you want to hear some real-world experience with Virgin Cars.