New owner

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2004, 12:33 PM
Daves99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner

Hi All,

Just paid my deposit on a 05 WXR SL which I get in 5 weeks, and was wondering if you could advise or point me in the right place for info on what a new owner should look out for. i.e what fuel is best, running in do's and don'ts, things to check etc.

Sorry if this has been done to death but there is so much on this site I was not sure where to start.

Regards

Daves99
Old 30 September 2004, 12:54 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome.

Definately want to run a higher octane fuel than standard unleaded, how you do that depends on where you live. There are allot of Shell stations nearby so I use Optimax. People on here also use BP Ultimate or standard UL with an octane booster. I'll let somebody else go through the details

I followed the owners manual for the running in period, don't rev past 4K for the first 1000 miles. As you won't be driving it too hard until after 1000 then you won't need to do anything else. Once it's run in then you need to give the turbo time to warm up before driving hard and warm down after driving hard. Again there will be allot of people on here with good advice about this.

Cheers.
Old 30 September 2004, 01:32 PM
Daves99
Scooby Regular

Thanks Vonzack,

The fuel one was of more importance as my dealer advised BP super over Optimax as he quote " Optimax has a higher detonation than BP so the smoother power delivery comes with BP" but it looks like there are a lot of people here that use Opti so thats good enough for me.

On the warm up cool down issue what are we talking in real time, a couple of mins for both or longer. Sorry for all the questions but any advice is much appreciated.

Daves99
Old 30 September 2004, 02:57 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Dunno where the dealer got that from, Optimax definately has a higher RON figure (98.6) than Super Unleaded (97). Though i believe the MON figure is more applicable to det, but petrol companies don't usually quote the MON.

The general consensus among Scooby owners on here is that most prefer Optimax.

Warmup, i usually drive sensibly for at least 5 miles before booting it. For warmdown i usually give it 30 secs if i'm just pootling round town, and up to 2 minutes if i've been "pushing on a bit". Rather than sitting still on the drive with the engine running for 2 minutes, lots of people just take it extra steady for the last couple of minutes of a drive - keeping the revs below the point where the turbo is cutting in.

Last edited by Iwan; 30 September 2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 30 September 2004, 04:17 PM
Daves99
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the sound advice Iwan, from what I have read so far Optimax is what I will use. I am also glad for the info on the warm up cool down issue, not something you think about until someone tells you, normally just after youve blowen your turbo.

Cheers Guys

Daves99
Old 30 September 2004, 04:33 PM
flat-spot
Scooby Regular

are you sure you are getting a 05 WRX SL because I am just about to order a 05 WRX and have been told it is unlikely that Subura will be doing a 05 SL model.
Old 30 September 2004, 05:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Daves, from a recent newbie: Welcome, you're in for a treat! :-) I can only really echo what's already been said! You have to accept that this car is going to be harder on your wallet than a ordinary car and not cut corners with cheap petrol etc...

I use optimax and the car seems to run very sweetly on it. Warming up....well, I always wait for about 10 minutes before extending beyond 3500, and avoid anything higher than 5500 before 15mins. Cooling down depends on the type of driving. For easy town driving many would argue that simply switching off is ok, but I always give mine a minute, whatever. If I've been on the motorway or "using the turbo" (ahem) I leave it for about 2 minutes, more if there hasn't been any town driving between the motorway and the destination.

Don't Scrimp on the servicing, research any mods very carefully, make sure you're security is up to scratch. Personally, I'd at least get a disclock in addition to the standard factory spec alarm and immobiliser. I'm also going to get the Blackjax anti hijack device on mine.

Above all.

ENJOY!!! :-)

Best.
Old 30 September 2004, 09:20 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Daves, from a recent newbie: Welcome, you're in for a treat! :-) I can only really echo what's already been said! You have to accept that this car is going to be harder on your wallet than a ordinary car and not cut corners with cheap petrol etc...

I use optimax and the car seems to run very sweetly on it. Warming up....well, I always wait for about 10 minutes before extending beyond 3500, and avoid anything higher than 5500 before 15mins. Cooling down depends on the type of driving. For easy town driving many would argue that simply switching off is ok, but I always give mine a minute, whatever. If I've been on the motorway or "using the turbo" (ahem) I leave it for about 2 minutes, more if there hasn't been any town driving between the motorway and the destination.

Don't Scrimp on the servicing, research any mods very carefully, make sure you're security is up to scratch. Personally, I'd at least get a disclock in addition to the standard factory spec alarm and immobiliser. I'm also going to get the Blackjax anti hijack device on mine.

Above all.

ENJOY!!! :-)

Best.
Still not ordered it yet then mate?

Chris
Old 01 October 2004, 08:19 AM
Daves99
Scooby Regular

Hi Flat-spot,

Yes 100% sure its an SL complete with the new front console and the red brake callipers and all the other extras. I have ordered it from Sparshots of Botley, and there was no mention of it not being an available model in 05. That said I will bow to the knowledge of you guys here if it is the case, as well as being very peed off if its not available.

New_scooby_04,

I have prepared myself for the extra cost of running a performance car like the scoob, so hopefully not to many suprises on the cost front. The info on security is well received I was looking to get a disklock anyway but thanks for the advice. Can you confirm that the system in the car is Thatcham cat 1 approved my insurance company wants to know.

Thanks to all that have responded, the info you have given will only go to increasing the enjoyment of owning a Scooby

Daves99

Old 01 October 2004, 08:38 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Daves99
Good stuff - my MY05 WRX SL arrived with me next Tuesday. However, should also add that relelavnt to any car when running is is to go easy on everything - gear chnages, brake earlier than you would do to ensure not too much heat gets into the disks and pads, and to bed them in nicely - it will pay dividends in the long run. The brake pads can be a bugger if not run in well.

flatspot - there is definately an MY05 WRX SL. One of our fellow members on here mailed me to say he was in the dealer I have bought mine from and has seen it in the flesh looking wicked (as its the new crystal grey colour, it's attracting a lot of attention) and I can confirm it is the MY05 SL model - full leather, heated seats and leccy sunroof. Think your dealer might need to visit this site a bit more so he can learn about his products!!!!

Andy
Old 01 October 2004, 09:14 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Hello and welcome to modification madness .......

1. Use optimax if at all possible, BP ultimate if not
2. Run it in for 1000 miles at under 4000RPM, it then has an oil change to proper oil instead of the veggy oil it uses to start with
3. Let it cool down a bit after enthusiastic driving
4. Get an account at your local filling station, you are about to become their best customer (under 20MPG)
5. Buy a fat wallet coz you will be talked into modifying it and once it starts you are on the slippery slope.
6. dont forget to wave at other owners
7. Tick the PPP box now, coz if you dont you will only be going back in three months coz it just doesnt quite perform as well as you thought it would.

But most of all enjoy